• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hutch full of earwigs

MiloAndJake

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My Guinea Pig hutch is full of earwigs my guinea pigs are inside in a cage but i let them in their hutch throughout the day. Will these earwigs harm my piggies? I’ve just fully cleansed the hutch but there was hundreds and might come back as they might of made it their home. I’ve sprayed johnsons cage and hutch insect spray but not sure if it works!

You need F10 to kill off the eggs. I had loads of earwigs in the hutch too. The eggs look like tiny black dots. If you don't kill the eggs the earwigs will never go away.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/F10-Disinf...d=1530988498&sr=1-1&keywords=f10+disinfectant

A little goes a long way! You need to make it double strength 2ml for every 500ml of water. Spray it everywhere and wipe off with an old cloth. Pay particular attention to corners.

You need F10 to kill off the eggs. I had loads of earwigs in the hutch too. The eggs look like tiny black dots. If you don't kill the eggs the earwigs will never go away.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/F10-Disinf...d=1530988498&sr=1-1&keywords=f10+disinfectant

A little goes a long way! You need to make it double strength 2ml for every 500ml of water. Spray it everywhere and wipe off with an old cloth. Pay particular attention to corners.
i sprayed my hutch all over with cage and hutch insect spray by johnsons i hope that has done the same job i washed it all yesterday and it seems fine now? Is it best to get that though?

:agr:F10 definitely kills off the eggs. F10 kills off almost everything! It kills mould spores and fungal spores and all sorts of nasties that Johnsons doesn't it is also safe for piggies which is most important of all. I only use F10 in the hutch now. You will need to persevere with the F10 if you have that many earwigs as it'll take a while to stop the cycle of eggs hatching into earwigs that lay more eggs, that hatch out to lay more eggs ...... but you will get there. It took me a good 4-6 weeks to get rid of the majority of earwigs in the hutch. Now there are only a few each week. I have changed from newspaper lining to puppy pad lining too which I has helped as I think earwigs ate the paper.

F10 disinfectant in my opinion is better than any of the other stuff available. You can order it online or most likely your vets will sell it to you. Mine sell it in either a ready made up diluted spray or in the concentrate that you mix up yourself. It kills practically everything you can imagine that is a pest to piggies including fungal spores, too. So F10gets my vote if you want to be rid of the problem.

I hope you get rid ofthese pesky ear wigs.Drown the eggs with F10.you need to do this on e a week for at least a month,as eggs keep hatching.🤢

Oh this is brilliant thanks! I know it's an old thread but i have just found a load of earwigs in my pig hutch. Only on the lower level though. I do have F10 in stock. Brilliant stuff!
You may find that you need to hoover out the hutch too to try and get rid of the majority of eggs. Hope you have an old hoover!

Thanks @Betsy ! I do actually have an old hoover! My hutch isn't crawling with earwigs as the OP's but a lot seemed to keep coming out of the join in the bottom level of the hutch. None at all top level.

I know why though - i change the top level more frequently as the pigs spend much longer up there. The bottom level they hardly used and the bedding really never seems to feel damp at all - but it must have been dark enough and damp enough for them to like it!

They seemed to come up from the join when i lifted the bedding out - not actually on the hutch floor. When i lifted the bedding, they ran up onto the hutch floor then - about 30 of the little blighters! They just kept on coming!

Back