• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hutch Recommendations Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicky Green

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I've recently rehomed two male guineas, after a few days of having them (and cutting back the terrible fur matts that the rosette had), I found that one was bullying the other and the rosette was covered in quite nasty bites. I've separated them and they're now living in indoor cages, side by side so they can see and chat to each other but can't do any damage, the rosette is healing nicely. My thoughts are now turning to spring and summer and finding suitable housing for them. My pigs in the past have lived in a double level hutch with a big run attached. I'd like to continue to keep the boys living side by side, with a decent sized hutch and run each and wondered if anyone had any recommendations, other than just getting two regular hutches from the pet shop. I looked at the double hutches but they all seem to be stacked so no contact between the pigs. I've also looked at the Eglu option but I'm worried that the living space doesn't seem very big. We need something that's big enough for them, keeps them side by side and is relatively easy to move so they can have access to fresh grass in the summer. Any suggestions would be very welcome!

All my hutches have been handmade to my own specifications. Maybe speak to our resident hutch builder @The Hutch Man and see if he can build something bespoke. ;)

Personally for the amount of money 2 eglus would cost, you could most likely get two bespoke units that are bigger than that, or buy two individual runs and hutches and join them together. That way if you need to move their homes off the grass or cannot have the runs attached they would actually have a decent home to live in.

But I really dislike their products ...

Personally for the amount of money 2 eglus would cost, you could most likely get two bespoke units that are bigger than that, or buy two individual runs and hutches and join them together. That way if you need to move their homes off the grass or cannot have the runs attached they would actually have a decent home to live in.

But I really dislike their products ...
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking - they'd be fine when they can get out in the run but in bad weather, they'd be a bit cooped up.

i've never heard anything good about the eglu's to be honest - small living space, plastic overheating, not predator proof etc.

i'd get a hutch custom made so a large hutch with partition down the centre allowing the piggies to see each other. i've heard great things about the welfare hutch company and boyles pet housing in particular :)

i've never heard anything good about the eglu's to be honest - small living space, plastic overheating, not predator proof etc.

i'd get a hutch custom made so a large hutch with partition down the centre allowing the piggies to see each other. i've heard great things about the welfare hutch company and boyles pet housing in particular :)
Brilliant, thank you!

Ooh that's exciting, a purpose built thing could be just what I need.
Where are you based ? Someone on here may know a local person that makes hutches . Are you happy to let us know what county you live in?

I had a side by side 6ft hutch made for similar set up for boars. The divider in the middle could be taken out if needed to leave a full 6ft hutch.
trying to find old picture
This was 5 yrs ago ish and the hutch is still going strong but at a friends house as my piggies have all spookily moved inside the house....
So although can be more than shop bought, going to a small hutch company means they can be bespoke and can last well.

I had a side by side 6ft hutch made for similar set up for boars. The divider in the middle could be taken out if needed to leave a full 6ft hutch.
trying to find old picture
This was 5 yrs ago ish and the hutch is still going strong but at a friends house as my piggies have all spookily moved inside the house....
So although can be more than shop bought, going to a small hutch company means they can be bespoke and can last well.
That looks absolutely perfect!

:D Hello and welcome to the forum!
Lauraboara's hutch looks great! If you go for something like that,I would have proper bolts put on the doors instead of those latches, as predators such as foxes can undo them and get in. You may want to think about a removable base/floor for easy cleaning, too. And perhaps fox-proof wire in the doors instead of chicken wire.

Mine were made by someone in Barnsley ( South Yorkshire ) and the floors are fitted lino - brilliant to keep clean.

Lauraboara's hutch looks great! If you go for something like that,I would have proper bolts put on the doors instead of those latches, as predators such as foxes can undo them and get in. You may want to think about a removable base/floor for easy cleaning, too. And perhaps fox-proof wire in the doors instead of chicken wire.
It isn't made with chicken wire - it is welded wire mesh sheets - picture may not show clearly but it is! But all of that you can discuss with a hutch builder.

Thanks for that, the hutches I've had for previous pigs have all been fox (and cat!) proof and I'll definitely make sure that the boys have similar protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back