• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

I am in despair - healing vibes needed again

@munchmonster I am so sorry to read this - I have been absent from the forum for ages... sounds like you are going through the ringer bug time... sending lots of healing vibes for all the furries & a massive virtual hug for you x

BIG HUGS!

One of my angels Nutmeg had a similar abscess in a tooth root. She had successful surgery and the "open" healing wound technique was easy to manage. I hope you have good luck with treatment. We tried antibiotics first as well. She made a full recovery after the surgery ✨

So sorry for Wilf, abscesses are horrible. The Cat and Rabbit clinic have had success with Zithromax AB’s and regular flushing if it comes to that,Hope not, sending hugs x

Thanks for your posts everyone, they are encouraging. I am having great difficulty getting syringe feeds into his mouth as I don't want to touch his left side as it might hurt him but he moves his head away and keeps his mouth firmly shut (the little rascal). I have offered him some oats but he wasn't interested, I am trying Emeraid and critical care but I'm wearing most of it :( I will keep trying.

Oh he is a little rascal ! I hope you are managing to get some syringe feed into him. It’s very difficult but you’re doing so well ! We’re all cheering you on munchmonster x

@munchmonster I'm so sorry to read these updates! I haven’t logged in on here for a week or so, I’ve only just seen these! Like another poster also offered, if you ever need help getting your pigs to Ellie in Matlock I’d also be willing to offer transportation etc for them while you’re working if you can’t get any more time off! I live about 20-30 mins away from there, so not too long a trek for me, if you’re ever stuck the offer is there! Us piggy parents have to stick together. I hope Wilf makes a speedy recovery, and Annie too, and fingers crossed for them 💞

Thank you so much for that kind offer! What a fantastic community this forum is. I will certainly contact you if I struggle with work/vet appointments. xx
Not a problem! Happy to help if I can! It’s definitely a great community on here ☺️ x

Wilf attempts to eat but its not possible for him as his abscess has made his mouth mis-shaped, and he doesn't like the syringe feed either. I have offered him Critical care and Emeraid but Critical Care is the least liked of the 2 brands. Whichever I give him I end up with more over me and the sofa than ends up in hid mouth☹️
He is going to see Ellie for his operation on Tuesday. I am dreading taking him but I know he will be in very capable hands. His partner Annie isn't herself at the moment either, but it could be that she is picking up on poorly vibes from Wilf.

The anguish continues ....

Wilf attempts to eat but its not possible for him as his abscess has made his mouth mis-shaped, and he doesn't like the syringe feed either. I have offered him Critical care and Emeraid but Critical Care is the least liked of the 2 brands. Whichever I give him I end up with more over me and the sofa than ends up in hid mouth☹️
He is going to see Ellie for his operation on Tuesday. I am dreading taking him but I know he will be in very capable hands. His partner Annie isn't herself at the moment either, but it could be that she is picking up on poorly vibes from Wilf.

The anguish continues ....
poor Wilf, I hope the operation goes really well, all you can do is keep him fed until then. Annie is probably worrying over her little man too x

Well done Wilf! I took him for his op but after examining his mouth and jaw Ellie said his jaw has gone back into place and Wilf doesn't pull back and let out a yell when his jaw is touched, so his op is hopefully cancelled. The negative to this is that he has lost a great deal of weight. 10 days ago he was 950g but he is now 800g. so he has to learn to like Emeraid. I have offered him CC and oats but he hates those even more than Emeraid. We are going back to Ellie next Friday to monitor him but before that I have to take Wilbur to see her on Monday. I think I need my own parking space there.

Well done Wilf. Hope he can start to put the weight back on. Good luck Wilbur for Monday.

Well done Wilf! I took him for his op but after examining his mouth and jaw Ellie said his jaw has gone back into place and Wilf doesn't pull back and let out a yell when his jaw is touched, so his op is hopefully cancelled. The negative to this is that he has lost a great deal of weight. 10 days ago he was 950g but he is now 800g. so he has to learn to like Emeraid. I have offered him CC and oats but he hates those even more than Emeraid. We are going back to Ellie next Friday to monitor him but before that I have to take Wilbur to see her on Monday. I think I need my own parking space there.

That sounds good that his jaw has gone back and that he is in less pain, but what a battle you are having!

If he’s not keen on Emeraid or CC, perhaps you could try just mushing up his favourite pellets with warm water and syringing that instead? Or perhaps try one of the other recovery feeds like Supreme Science Recovery Plus or Burgess Excel dual care? Does he like banana? If he does, perhaps mash in some banana to make it taste better for him.

Hang in there - you are making a huge difference to him, but I know you must be exhausted x

Mine have found Recovery to be acceptable but the favourite was the brown pack of Critical Care 'fine grind' which has a fruity papaya flavour rather than the green aniseed one. We had to send off for it and it wasn't cheap but on the plus side it was also easier to syringe...
It's draining when a battle goes on for so long but you're doing so well for them... you're a legend 💕

Back