• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

I CAN'T BELIVE IT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'M GETTING A PIGGY TOMORROW!

My mum said that she had been planning to get me one for my birthday for ages so it is not a replacement of ernie! I can't wait to get it, i'll post pics soon!

awww wonderful news, I'm going into town tomorrow maybe just maybe i will get myself another little piggy too,

That's great, however, it would be better to get two of the little darlings as they LOVE company :)

Clare

x

cashmincal said:
That's great, however, it would be better to get two of the little darlings as they LOVE company :)

Clare

x

I'm pairing it with my pigs i have now

Are you getting one from a rescue? There are lot's of lovely guinea pigs of all ages waiting in rescue centres for special homes. Please do not buy one from a pet store. if you need help finding a local rescue please ask :)

Barbara

Ooh congrats, as Barbara said please consider a rescue pig, there really are alot of lovely homeless pigs out there. I'm currently looking for a pig myself, hope you find your perfect pig soon :)

Edited to add: Is there a particular type of pig you would like?

I looked around the local rescues but there weren't any near me :(

There was this piggy that had been in the pet shop for 6 months because it looked really ugly, i felt really sorry for it so i bought him, his nails were overgrown and he looked depressed. As soon as i picked him up out the cage he looked soo happy, he is a albino sheltie absbyian cross, his name is bing there are some pics coming soon in the photo section.

What a shame you couldn't find a rescue piggy though :(

Do you have any other guinea pigs? Are you going to have him neutered? Or find a baby male? If you can give us a general idea of where you live, we might be able to suggest a local rescue that can help :)

Barbara

Good for you! sounds like he needed a home just as much as rescues do. I'm sure he will be so happy to be in his new home, away from the noise and stress of the pet shop. Can't wait to see the piccys. ;)

linda.b said:
Good for you! sounds like he needed a home just as much as rescues do. I'm sure he will be so happy to be in his new home, away from the noise and stress of the pet shop. Can't wait to see the piccys. ;)

The unfortunate thing Linda, is that when you buy from a pet shop, it just makes room for them to buy more in :(
Pet shops only exist to make profit, they are after all, unlike rescues, a business...

Barbara

cavykind said:
What a shame you couldn't find a rescue piggy though :(

Do you have any other guinea pigs? Are you going to have him neutered? Or find a baby male? If you can give us a general idea of where you live, we might be able to suggest a local rescue that can help :)

Barbara

I have 4 other gps, 2 males and 2 females, he is in quarrantine at the moment and so is bandit and bert (because ernie died for unknown reasons)

I know and understand what you are saying cavykind, but I've been and done the same thing. I am totally against buying animals from a pet shop, but when you go in and see the same animal week after week, and no-one is interested,it is heart-breaking. not the animals fault and we are the only softies there to help the unfortunates. I agree, if you see a beautiful piggy in the pet shop, don't buy but one thats been there so long with no hope of a home. well I would'nt be able to walk away. Would you?

i don't normally like buying from pet shops but he has been there for months, cuter piggys have a chance of finding a home!

I agree with Barbara. It is so tempting when you feel sorry for a guinea in a petshop, but if you buy it, then the petshop is going to think it's doing everything right. They might even be selling more because people feel sorry for them! As soon as it sells, they'll be on the phone back to the supplier asking for more to be bred. If the conditions are unacceptable, tell the petshop, tell the animal health people at your local Trading Standards, RSPCA etc etc - anyone! But it is best to harden your heart and resist. However, having said all that, just read the post to say that's he's been there months - so yes, I can see your point! (Flaming petshops!)

linda.b said:
I agree, if you see a beautiful piggy in the pet shop, don't buy but one thats been there so long with no hope of a home. well I would'nt be able to walk away. Would you?

I've bought form a pet shop once, many years ago when I was new to rescue. It was an obviously pregnant sow >:(
Years of experience later, I wouldn't do it again, there are enough unwanted guineas out there without buying them and lining the pockets of pet shop owners.
I could do the rounds of local pet shops and no doubt buy from every one I walked into...but that isn't, to me, what rescue is about :-\
Why encourage that which we want to see want to see ended?

I can appreciate that this may be hard for you to understand, but I can't put it any plainer than that Linda.

Barbara

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back