• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

I desperately need help fast

Mani77

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi
My guinea pig hasn’t been him self not eating,drinking,is in pain,has lost weight,his eyes closed, being distance I thought he had diarrhea but found out he has infection in his penis I think
I tried to clean it but couldn’t
I couldn’t push it out and he has been in pain
What can I do til I get him to a vet on Monday
Pretty please I need help ASAP

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score

Dill&Pepper

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You need to find a vet open today. Some surgeries do Sunday opening, otherwise all should offer some emergency provision if you’re in the UK. You might have to travel for the former but it would be cheaper.

Piggies can go downhill so fast, and if he can’t pee it’s a life-threatening emergency it can’t wait until tomorrow.

Claire W

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I agree, please have him seen by a vet TODAY! Are you in the UK? If so, do you have a pets at home near you? They often have vet surgeries inside the store and are open until 4pm or 5pm on a Sunday

Mani77

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You need to find a vet open today. Some surgeries do Sunday opening, otherwise all should offer some emergency provision if you’re in the UK. You might have to travel for the former but it would be cheaper.

Piggies can go downhill so fast, and if he can’t pee it’s a life-threatening emergency it can’t wait until tomorrow.
I know that’s why I’m so desperate but I’m not in uk and that Sunday open in my area is just for cats and dogs 😞
They wouldn’t take me in cuz they don’t have the expertise
So I’m desperate to do something
I’m giving him critical care and cranberry juice and vitamin c
Washing the area and useing disinfection spray for kids on it

Mani77

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I agree, please have him seen by a vet TODAY! Are you in the UK? If so, do you have a pets at home near you? They often have vet surgeries inside the store and are open until 4pm or 5pm on a Sunday
No unfortunately I’m not in uk😞

Mani77

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Your guinea pig needs to see a vet as a matter of an emergency as he is extremely ill.

In the meantime any piggy who is not eating and drinking by themselves needs to be topped up with syringe feeding if they have any chance of survival.

Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
I know that he has to see a vet today but the vet that is on call on Sunday don’t offer help for small pets ,I’m in impossible situation that’s why I’m soooo desperate
I’m feeding him critical care and cranberry juice with vitamin c
But I’m also worried that if he can’t Pooh or pee how that’s gonna go
I’m so upset and desperate
I’m gonna take him to clinic tomorrow early I don’t care if they don’t have available time they have to take me in that is if he last til tomorrow 😭

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
I know that he has to see a vet today but the vet that is on call on Sunday don’t offer help for small pets ,I’m in impossible situation that’s why I’m soooo desperate
I’m gonna take him to clinic tomorrow early I don’t care if they don’t have available time they have to take me in that is if he last til tomorrow 😭
I am really sorry you find yourself in this impossible predicament. Poo output shows what went in 24 hours ago so if he is not eating then there will be no poops. Keep going and read through the guides I linked to above. Offer water by drops rather than force syringing so not to aspirate and with the food little and often will be the key. It might mean you don't get much sleep if you need to offer food every couple of hours but I really hope he can make it through to seeing the vet tomorrow.

If you have anywhere nearby to get some probiotics from it might be worth grabbing some to mix into the syringe feed or water when offering to help with his gut. We really are lucky in the UK that all vets have a legal responsibility to take steps to provide 24 hour care, I'm really sorry that you have been turned away from a vets practice today when clearly a vet with minimal knowledge would be so much better than no vet but understand this is out of your control

munchmonster

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I do hope your poor little piggy gets the help he needs very soon. You clearly love him and my heart goes out to you and him. I was going to suggest vets for pets as they are open Sundays to 4pm, biut sadly that's of no use to you as you have already said you are not in the uk. Fingers crossed you get him emergency care soon

Mani77

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am really sorry you find yourself in this impossible predicament. Poo output shows what went in 24 hours ago so if he is not eating then there will be no poops. Keep going and read through the guides I linked to above. Offer water by drops rather than force syringing so not to aspirate and with the food little and often will be the key. It might mean you don't get much sleep if you need to offer food every couple of hours but I really hope he can make it through to seeing the vet tomorrow.

If you have anywhere nearby to get some probiotics from it might be worth grabbing some to mix into the syringe feed or water when offering to help with his gut. We really are lucky in the UK that all vets have a legal responsibility to take steps to provide 24 hour care, I'm really sorry that you have been turned away from a vets practice today when clearly a vet with minimal knowledge would be so much better than no vet but understand this is out of your control
Thank u sooooo much I really appreciate your comments and advice
I welcome all help and advise I can get

Mani77

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I do hope your poor little piggy gets the help he needs very soon. You clearly love him and my heart goes out to you and him. I was going to suggest vets for pets as they are open Sundays to 4pm, biut sadly that's of no use to you as you have already said you are not in the uk. Fingers crossed you get him emergency care soon
Tnx yea I appreciate all good thought and advice thanks

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
All the best!

Please keep syringe feeding as much as you can and as much as he will take, using the links in @Lady Kelly 's post. Not/only little poosing reflects the lack of food in the last few days.
Not being able to pee is unfortunately fatal as the urine will back up into kidneys at some point. As my husband can tell you due a post-operation complication, it is also excruciatingly painful. :(

Please also read this guide here; it pulls information together but the last chapter deals with the scenario of your guinea pig not making it and what you can/need to do in this case; including when to stop pushing the syringe feed. Emergency and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

Fingers very firmly crossed!

Mani77

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
All the best!

Please keep syringe feeding as much as you can and as much as he will take, using the links in @Lady Kelly 's post. Not/only little poosing reflects the lack of food in the last few days.
Not being able to pee is unfortunately fatal as the urine will back up into kidneys at some point. As my husband can tell you due a post-operation complication, it is also excruciatingly painful. :(

Please also read this guide here; it pulls information together but the last chapter deals with the scenario of your guinea pig not making it and what you can/need to do in this case; including when to stop pushing the syringe feed. Emergency and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

Fingers very firmly crossed!
Tnx but I’m so desperate I feel like maybe I should give him a small dose of antibiotics
Some how
Cuz when I put a bit of pressure on his penis kind of creamy fluid comes out
Looks much like a infection to me

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Tnx but I’m so desperate I feel like maybe I should give him a small dose of antibiotics
Some how
Cuz when I put a bit of pressure on his penis kind of creamy fluid comes out
Looks much like a infection to me
This sounds more likely that you may be dealing with a painful sperm rod that has caused an infection in the penis sac and not necessarily inside the penis itself. That means that the infection is not inside the body and that your boy should hopefully still be able to pee. It also means that recovery should be fairly straight forward once the sperm rod has been carefully removed and he is on an antibiotic.
Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths (contains information and pictures of sperm rods)

Please see a vet asap tomorrow morning. I feel for you, but please don't go and try to get hold of an antibiotic yourself. Any penicillin based antibiotic is lethal for guinea pigs! They tolerate only certain ones. Please also be aware that antibiotics and painkillers for animals are prescription-only. :(

Fingers firmly crossed!

Mani77

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This sounds more likely that you may be dealing with a painful sperm rod that has caused an infection in the penis sac and not necessarily inside the penis itself. That means that the infection is not inside the body and that your boy should hopefully still be able to pee. It also means that recovery should be fairly straight forward once the sperm rod has been carefully removed and he is on an antibiotic.
Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths (contains information and pictures of sperm rods)

Please see a vet asap tomorrow morning. I feel for you, but please don't go and try to get hold of an antibiotic yourself. Any penicillin based antibiotic is lethal for guinea pigs! They tolerate only certain ones. Please also be aware that antibiotics and painkillers for animals are prescription-only. :(

Fingers firmly crossed!
Tnx. A lot
As I said I’m soooooooooo desperate and upset and afraid of losing him that’s I was willing to go to extreme
Thought won’t hurt since it will cure infection and he will feel better but no I won’t since now I know that can be toxic for him
And I truly hope it’s that sperm rod and infection isn’t inside his body that was musics to my ear
I truly hope so
Tomorrow can’t come soon enough
Tnx a lot I really appreciate it

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Tnx. A lot
As I said I’m soooooooooo desperate and upset and afraid of losing him that’s I was willing to go to extreme
Thought won’t hurt since it will cure infection and he will feel better but no I won’t since now I know that can be toxic for him
And I truly hope it’s that sperm rod and infection isn’t inside his body that was musics to my ear
I truly hope so
Tomorrow can’t come soon enough
Tnx a lot I really appreciate it
I have been in situations like yours often enough in the olden days and sometimes even now. I feel for you! :(

When you start panicking, try to transmute the energy into healing thoughts that you send to your guinea pig instead.
Please follow the advice in our syringe feeding guide to keep the guts going and your piggy alive until you can see a vet. Concentrate on what you can do for your boy to help him make it through and hopefully come out on the other side. All is not lost yet and you have still all to play for!

Unfortunately only a hands-on vet examination will show what is the matter and appropriate treatment will hopefully cure it, so I can only make a hopefully educated guess from cases we have seen on here in the past.

Mani77

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have been in situations like yours often enough in the olden days and sometimes even now. I feel for you! :(

When you start panicking, try to transmute the energy into healing thoughts that you send to your guinea pig instead.
Please follow the advice in our syringe feeding guide to keep the guts going and your piggy alive until you can see a vet. Concentrate on what you can do for your boy to help him make it through and hopefully come out on the other side. All is not lost yet and you have still all to play for!

Unfortunately only a hands-on vet examination will show what is the matter and appropriate treatment will hopefully cure it, so I can only make a hopefully educated guess from cases we have seen on here in the past.
😞😞😞right after I replied to u i went to give him some more cranberry juice and c vitamin but he has taken a turn for the worse I’m afraid cuz when didn’t wanna take in the fibereplex that should be given to him 3 times a day and that just was in his mouth and he couldn’t swallow it
Had to wash it down with some juice
Still I put some pressure around the penis hit some of the white infection look alike out and spray it and wash it with betadine
He usually Hays when I put in on his back but I put him on the floor and he didn’t even react just lay there 😭😭😭
I thought he is getting better