I have 3 piggies and we’re about to adopt a puppy!

anduhreah

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! i needed some advice here.

I have three piggies, all males. two of them (both around 1 years and 8 months) are in a 2x5 c&c cage while the oldest (almost 4 years) is in his own cage next to them (they can touch through the bars and frequently rumble strut back and forth next to them)

I’ve always wanted a dog, way before guinea pigs were on my mind. So i don’t plan on passing this opportunity up. I’m only 17 and it’s blown my mind that my mom actually suggested that we get a dog and is following through with it as i’ve been asking forever.

Another thing i don’t plan on is giving up my guinea pigs, i’ve grown attached to the new young pair and since i’ve had the older one for 4 years (there were two 4 year olds before i got the younger pair, one of them passed so i decided to get the eldest some friends, unfortunately the trio didn’t work out so they’re in neighboring cages), there’s no way i’d leave him.

How should i go about this? the dog is only a puppy, and it’s a small breed of dog (not a chihuahua, more like a maltese?) so i think there could be time to train him. we’re thinking about getting some fold out tables and just placing the piggies on higher ground as well, i’m just worried that my mom wouldn’t want to change the whole living area to accommodate that since the pigs reside there and not in a bedroom (no spare bedroom, only one on the lower floor but no one is down there and there’d be no supervision)

anduhreah

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
also i’d like to apologize if this isn’t the right forum for this topic.

Siikibam

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would raise them off the floor, and also add a roof to the cage if there isn’t one already.

Never leave the dog alone with them, and make sure he can not get to them. What is curiosity to a dog can be (unintentionally) fatal.

Just make sure tour mum is ok with plans of raising them.

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I agree, defo raise them off the floor.. the puppy will be curious to see them so best he cant actually get to them.