• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info

I Have A Cold..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
As I have a cold, is it best not to handle my piggies? I am still stroking them when I pass but worried if I get too close they might catch it ?!

Freela

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Viruses are generally species-specific. That said, I do wash my hands really well when I have a cold just in case!

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you for all your replies, and the get well some. I thought they could catch our colds, I'm sure I've read it on here somewhere, and if they catch it it could kill them?

Jerrybelly

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you for all your replies, and the get well some. I thought they could catch our colds, I'm sure I've read it on here somewhere, and if they catch it it could kill them?
I'm not aware of this. It's a bit of a grey area though about what they can and can't catch from us, so better to be safe that sorry. Simple hand hygiene should do the trick :)

Chief Guinea Pig

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Get well soon. Whenever I am ill I try to avoid contact with the pigs despite me washing hands thoroughly.
The girls growl at me anyway when I sniffle!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Generally piggies do not catch our bugs, but we recommend to use good hygiene with any respiratory or gastric bug and to not cuddle or handle your piggies unnecessarily while you are ill.

Lilly

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Someone on here posted as a warning that their piggy caught their cold & died according to their vet. This was disputed by several members although it is very possible piggy caught some bacteria from the human who had the cold & died of that.

Veggies Galore

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Someone on here posted as a warning that their piggy caught their cold & died according to their vet. This was disputed by several members although it is very possible piggy caught some bacteria from the human who had the cold & died of that.

Yes - I remember that post - poor owners.
Hopefully, above posts have reassured you .

As Wiebke has already advised, it make sense to use good hygiene and not to cuddle your guinea pigs if you are ill.

I hope you are feeling better . I hate catching colds.

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yes - I remember that post - poor owners.
Hopefully, above posts have reassured you .

As Wiebke has already advised, it make sense to use good hygiene and not to cuddle your guinea pigs if you are ill.

I hope you are feeling better . I hate catching colds.
I'm good with the hygiene. I had ha delved them all before some of the posts were written after saying they can't catch our colds. I didn't breath over them or anything though. I won't be cuddling them now until it's gone. It's still bad and nothing makes me more grumpy than a bunged up nose! Hence why I'm having some guinea pig forum therapy lol

Veggies Galore

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I'm good with the hygiene. I had ha delved them all before some of the posts were written after saying they can't catch our colds. I didn't breath over them or anything though. I won't be cuddling them now until it's gone. It's still bad and nothing makes me more grumpy than a bunged up nose! Hence why I'm having some guinea pig forum therapy lol
I agree! The last time I had a really bad cold - I wore a makeshift facemask out of tissues and a "Buff" headscarf ! I looked a right sight ! It's reassuring to know they can't catch our colds - but you can't be too careful.

I also agree that forum therapy helps with the grumps !

Status
Not open for further replies.