• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

I Have A Cold..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
As I have a cold, is it best not to handle my piggies? I am still stroking them when I pass but worried if I get too close they might catch it ?!

Viruses are generally species-specific. That said, I do wash my hands really well when I have a cold just in case!

Thank you for all your replies, and the get well some. I thought they could catch our colds, I'm sure I've read it on here somewhere, and if they catch it it could kill them?

Thank you for all your replies, and the get well some. I thought they could catch our colds, I'm sure I've read it on here somewhere, and if they catch it it could kill them?

I'm not aware of this. It's a bit of a grey area though about what they can and can't catch from us, so better to be safe that sorry. Simple hand hygiene should do the trick :)

Get well soon. Whenever I am ill I try to avoid contact with the pigs despite me washing hands thoroughly.
The girls growl at me anyway when I sniffle!

Generally piggies do not catch our bugs, but we recommend to use good hygiene with any respiratory or gastric bug and to not cuddle or handle your piggies unnecessarily while you are ill.

Someone on here posted as a warning that their piggy caught their cold & died according to their vet. This was disputed by several members although it is very possible piggy caught some bacteria from the human who had the cold & died of that.

Someone on here posted as a warning that their piggy caught their cold & died according to their vet. This was disputed by several members although it is very possible piggy caught some bacteria from the human who had the cold & died of that.

Yes - I remember that post - poor owners.
Hopefully, above posts have reassured you .

As Wiebke has already advised, it make sense to use good hygiene and not to cuddle your guinea pigs if you are ill.

I hope you are feeling better . I hate catching colds.

Yes - I remember that post - poor owners.
Hopefully, above posts have reassured you .

As Wiebke has already advised, it make sense to use good hygiene and not to cuddle your guinea pigs if you are ill.

I hope you are feeling better . I hate catching colds.
I'm good with the hygiene. I had ha delved them all before some of the posts were written after saying they can't catch our colds. I didn't breath over them or anything though. I won't be cuddling them now until it's gone. It's still bad and nothing makes me more grumpy than a bunged up nose! Hence why I'm having some guinea pig forum therapy lol

I'm good with the hygiene. I had ha delved them all before some of the posts were written after saying they can't catch our colds. I didn't breath over them or anything though. I won't be cuddling them now until it's gone. It's still bad and nothing makes me more grumpy than a bunged up nose! Hence why I'm having some guinea pig forum therapy lol

I agree! The last time I had a really bad cold - I wore a makeshift facemask out of tissues and a "Buff" headscarf ! I looked a right sight ! It's reassuring to know they can't catch our colds - but you can't be too careful.

I also agree that forum therapy helps with the grumps !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back