• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

I really think I'll be saying goodbye sometime soon...

Good morning. Just read this.
Honey is old and you know this. She's not the crazy piggie she was in younger days.
You doing a fantastic job and your TLC is coming through and i hug you for that.
Times in piggies life's we have to pay the emotional price of looking after them.
I'm sure if she was in pain and distress then you have to put your love to the test.
To you Honey you fight little one. Big squeaks and kisses from my piggies. xx
'
It's the saddest thing watching them fade with age. I'm just really trying my best, that's all I can do. The issue I have with knowing if she's in pain or not is that she doesn't squeak (talk about making my life even harder), she makes no noise at all, so I have no idea 😬, she'll go when the time is right, despite my efforts, all I can do is make her comfortable and give her everything she needs in the meantime, as I always have. Thank you for your kind words

Honey is lucky to have such a loving hooman looking after her.
Honey will let you know when the time is right to let her go to the rainbow bridge. Until then enjoy the time you have with her.
Big hugs from me and the piggies. 💕
Thank you for your kind words ☺️ She's currently looking very happy nibbling on hay with Willow

To everyone:

I know generally jumpers aren't suggested for hairy piggies, but my mum and I both think these blips are caused by her getting too cold, recently the electric heater has been on almost constantly, and this just helps take the general chill off the room. However I'm concerned especially with Lois who doesn't have the ears to loose as much heat, that the heater will cause them to get too hot. What would people say to my mum making Honey a little jumper? Seeing as she doesn't have as much body mass to keep her warm, Is this a big no no or possibly something to consider?

I know when pigs are itchy they are sometimes made little jumpers out of socks to stop them scratching... What about cutting off the toe and cutting some leg holes in a really fluffy warm sock?

Have you tried putting a Snugglesafe in for her so she can sit on or near it?

I know when pigs are itchy they are sometimes made little jumpers out of socks to stop them scratching... What about cutting off the toe and cutting some leg holes in a really fluffy warm sock?

Have you tried putting a Snugglesafe in for her so she can sit on or near it?
Didn't think of a sock actually, thank you for this idea, and i purchased a snuggle safe for her when she came out of her op, however she shows no interest in laying on or near it, I'm assuming it still heats up some surround air, but she just isn't interest in going near it 🙄😂

In all honesty, I'm not sure how I managed to get such a clear photo, she hates her teeth being checked, but I've noticed the smallest corner of Honeys tooth isn't straight, could this be causing her problems? In total honesty, I don't often check her teeth, as the vet does this when she's been taken, but I caught a glimpse. Would this effect her eating in anyway? It is only the smallest corner piece that's missing, does this happen with old age?

Attachments

• IMG_4642.JPG
    IMG_4642.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 27
In all honesty, I'm not sure how I managed to get such a clear photo, she hates her teeth being checked, but I've noticed the smallest corner of Honeys tooth isn't straight, could this be causing her problems? In total honesty, I don't often check her teeth, as the vet does this when she's been taken, but I caught a glimpse. Would this effect her eating in anyway? It is only the smallest corner piece that's missing, does this happen with old age?

I honestly don't think it could be causing her issues, especially if her teeth have been checked by the vet. Some piggies have very odd tooth wear patterns, see my Flubs below for an example. In spite of this he's my heaviest pig and has no problems eating anything I give him.

For others reading, I'm not saying that you shouldn't get the teeth checked at the vet! That's the first thing I did (and you should too; @dannif_piggies, does your vet check Honey's molars? Did your vet check if there might be elongated roots?), but his molars are in perfect condition. In the few months since his teeth have worn like this, they've hardly changed (and Flubs has put on another 100g, the fat potato).

It's so infuriating not knowing what's wrong! My boy Flash is still having the same issue, and needs syringe fed at least 45ml a day. We've tried reducing syringe feed over the last few days to encourage him to eat but his weight dropped by 50g, so we're having to up the amount we feed him again :(

IMG_20180503_082210.jpg

I honestly don't think it could be causing her issues, especially if her teeth have been checked by the vet. Some piggies have very odd tooth wear patterns, see my Flubs below for an example. In spite of this he's my heaviest pig and has no problems eating anything I give him.

For others reading, I'm not saying that you shouldn't get the teeth checked at the vet! That's the first thing I did (and you should too; @dannif_piggies, does your vet check Honey's molars? Did your vet check if there might be elongated roots?), but his molars are in perfect condition. In the few months since his teeth have worn like this, they've hardly changed (and Flubs has put on another 100g, the fat potato).

It's so infuriating not knowing what's wrong! My boy Flash is still having the same issue, and needs syringe fed at least 45ml a day. We've tried reducing syringe feed over the last few days to encourage him to eat but his weight dropped by 50g, so we're having to up the amount we feed him again :(

View attachment 104126
Yes, my vet checks all her teeth whenever we visit, and when I can I check the front, issues with molars is something I've very wary about for that's the reason I lost my treacle and issuficient advices from uneducated vets with piggies (it's an insult to call them uneducation but I just mean with piggies) about Treacles teeth and health caused me to lose her this time last year. I think I was overthinking, as she's now weighing 803g! From this time yesterday, she's put on 40g. So happy, I'm going to give her a CC top up before bed, check her half way through the night, about 2, if she needs it I'll top her up again, if not she won't get anymore until tomorrow morning. But she's doing good again! IMG_4644.JPG

Honey is back to her usual morning weight of around the 780g mark, I think we've got her stable once more. Thank you as always for everyone support, I'll probably be back here with another panic fairly soon 👍
it is what the forum is here for to offer advice when we can and most of all support for you. We all go through these bad times with our loved pets and it is so tough. Sending Honey lots of love and you a hug

This morning is having yet another blip, I woke up to find her hiding away in the hides house facing the wall, yesterday she has severe poops, and this morning she has lost more weight despite me CC feeding her all of yesterday, I've tried to CC feed her this morning, and she's refusing it, despite her normally rather enjoying it. I've tried force feeding but she just won't take it. So she's booking into the vets for 9.45. Currently she's sitting in a puffed up ball in the hay box where I put her. I think if the vets say there's not more they can do, I think it's time I let her go over the Rainbow Bridge 😪

This morning is having yet another blip, I woke up to find her hiding away in the hides house facing the wall, yesterday she has severe poops, and this morning she has lost more weight despite me CC feeding her all of yesterday, I've tried to CC feed her this morning, and she's refusing it, despite her normally rather enjoying it. I've tried force feeding but she just won't take it. So she's booking into the vets for 9.45. Currently she's sitting in a puffed up ball in the hay box where I put her. I think if the vets say there's not more they can do, I think it's time I let her go over the Rainbow Bridge 😪
So sad, I'm sorry to hear this, my old boar refused to take cc in the end , he passed away the next day whilst i was at work😔. You never know though, there may be something else you can try

So honey has been taken to the vets, there's quite a few points to cover.

She is the lowest she's been in weight
The vet found that when feeling her bladder she was in some discomfort, however could not feel any masses
She is more than likely going to be put on painkillers (Tramadol) which can slow down the gut process, which may help reduce soft stools
She's going to be given CC by the vets throughout the day.
She's going to have a conscious X-ray to see if there's anything in the bladder going on
I think that's all the points covered, so currently she's at the vets until 6.15

Back