• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

I really think I'll be saying goodbye sometime soon...

Fingers very firmly crossed.🤞🤞
So grateful to have vets that just don't give up until it's a must. I know if I was still with my old vets she would've been put to sleep a long time ago 😪

How old is she? Any chance she has Arthiritis? I'm sure your vet would have noticed though. Most probably is bladder discomfort going by what your vet found

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I've said this before, but this is exactly what we are going through with our Flash at the moment, right down to the thickened/inflamed bladder.

Is your girl still able to move about? One of Flashes back legs is paralysed so he hardly moves and is covered in his own wee :(.

Two things that seem to be helping with the pain and loss of appetite are Cystease (for calming down the bladder) and Metatone (to encourage his appetite; he ate 3 strands of hay unaided yesterday)! I agree with increased painkillers too.

It's very hard to know when to say goodbye, especially with the improvement and then backslides. My heart really goes out to you.

How old is she? Any chance she has Arthiritis? I'm sure your vet would have noticed though. Most probably is bladder discomfort going by what your vet found
I don't think she does, she moves quite happily when she doesn't have these blips, and it was definitely the bladder areas that was causing discomfort rather than joints for example but we'll see what is said at the end of the day :)

I know I've said this before, but this is exactly what we are going through with our Flash at the moment, right down to the thickened/inflamed bladder.

Is your girl still able to move about? One of Flashes back legs is paralysed so he hardly moves and is covered in his own wee :(.

Two things that seem to be helping with the pain and loss of appetite are Cystease (for calming down the bladder) and Metatone (to encourage his appetite; he ate 3 strands of hay unaided yesterday)! I agree with increased painkillers too.

It's very hard to know when to say goodbye, especially with the improvement and then backslides. My heart really goes out to you.
Honey is still able to run about, she usually hops in and out of the hay box easily (granted with a bit of thud compare to Willow 😂) once Honeys appetite gets going she eats like a trooper, but this morning she didn't want to get it going bless her, hopefully the vet has more luck. And it really is, her blips are getting more frequent but this morning was the worst one she's had. She's in the best care today though, thank you for your response :)

I forgot to add, Honeys guys we're still moving from what the vet could hear, and she also pooped whilst she was there so they are going to test the poop for parasites. (For once she pooped on cue)

They are also going to try and do a urine test

Best of luck for Honey today, your vet sounds really good though so she's definitely in safe hands! It must be so hard having an old lady piggy but you and the vet are definitely doing your best to keep her going with a good quality of life as long as you can x

Best of luck for Honey today, your vet sounds really good though so she's definitely in safe hands! It must be so hard having an old lady piggy but you and the vet are definitely doing your best to keep her going with a good quality of life as long as you can x
If I'm totally honest, this is the most "in-tune" I've been with a guinea pigs health since I've kept them. Now I've found a vet I trust I realise there's so much more than can be done than what my previous vets gave me the impression for my late pigs. Treacle taught me the importance of regular weight checking, and this is saved Honeys life I would say. I know veterinary care has come on leaps and bounds for piggies in fairly recent years so that's working in everybody's favour too. It really is exhausting, and surprising how much the cost can add up, I made a joke today with the vet saying Honey should have a Gucci logo on her considering how expensive she's become 🤣 I wouldn't have it any other way though. My fingers are firmly crossed with her, and the vets haven't been in contact so I'm assuming she's still all okay

So Honey is home, but I'm still concerned about her. This morning she was 750g, when I got her home and weighed her, she's 736g.

She's been fed 27ml of critical care at the vet and I was told she's been nibbling on hay and pellets today too.

The X-ray showed a potential bladder stone, however they couldn't quite see so are going to ask the main exotics vet there kate (the vet that did Honeys spay) on Monday.

She's been given pain relief, and I've been adviced to give her vitamin C supplements, so I'll will be getting them tomorrow.

She seems a bit brighter than she did this morning but I'm concerned about the additional weight loss, despite her being fed.

£110 later and I don't feel any more knowledgeable on anything 😪

It can be so frustrating, however, hopefully Monday will bring clarity to the situation.
The not knowing is often the hardest thing to cope with.
I'm mostly confused how she's lost weight but has been fed all day? Her tummy also just doesn't feel right, like she seems a bit firm, but surely critical care wouldn't have caused bloat?

Back