• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

I think my guinea pig ate washing powder

Bloerim

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Please help!my guinea pig is in a bad condition,i think he ate some washing powder,while my mom is doing laundry,our house is not so big,my guinea pog has been ill for 3 days,he can not eat and drink i am hand feeding him and giving him vit c,on the first day i encounter him on his cage he looks like he is having "hiccups" so i picked him up and wait for his "hiccups" to stop,it has he has been twitching for 10 mins,so i got concerned and he cannot stand much he prefer to lay down,and his head it is always down,at first i thought it was seizure because i saw some symptoms that i matches his condition,and on the 2nd day I'm still hand feeding him take note that he has loss a lot of weight.. at the night when i was feeding him he seems to be biting me so i thought he can eat some veggies now that he can bite,I'm sorry i know i was wrong in that part..he ate it but he can not swallow it because the veggy he is trying to swallow is is not fully chewed,so he choked he is throwing up the veggy he ate,he threw up a lot,and then it stops,and then a minute later i thought it's okay to give him some water so that he could some how feel a little okay,then bubbles starts to show!that night he's been making some weird noises like hooting deeper,but now he stops making that sounds and me and my father looked for vet but sadly there are no exotic vets here near me!i don't know what to do,has anyone been in this situation before?please give me some advice..
He is currently still weak,slim,his teeth is long as well..and he is laying down like a dead guinea pig..he is drooling as well..
He pooped a little when i gave him some green veggie juice

If there is no exotics vet available get him to any vet it sounds like he's in quite a bad way and needs to see a vet urgently

Because my dad saw my guinea pig biting i gues on the powder.
If the vet is not exotic then how could he examine my guinea pig?

because they are still a qualified vet
please get him seen as an emergency - being an exotic is not relevant given the severity of your piggy’s symptoms

Because they are a qualified vet
the situation sounds so very serious that without help your piggy is in a very bad situation - at this point any help will be better than no help
But when we visit a vet,he is an exotic vet,but he can't hold my guinea pig properly plus he has no equipment to look inside my piggy's mouth,a flashlight

Your piggie should have seen a vet as soon as you or your parents suspected that he may have eaten something that toxic. Any vet will have experience dealing with mammals to some extent and although it may not be ideal only a qualified vet can save your piggie and if there is a choice between a qualified yet inexperienced vet now, not seeing a vet or waiting longer to see a Guinea pig expert there is only one option that gives your piggie any chance of survival and that is to get him to a vet now.

Please get your guinea pig to any vet, whether exotic or not. You have to try and get as much syringe feed into him as possible but if he’s not swallowing that is a real issue.

As a side note, giving veg isn’t enough because hay makes up the largest part of their diet. Not eating enough hay is what causes weight loss. And that can also lead to teeth not being worn down. I really hope you can get pig seen as soon as.

Your piggie should have seen a vet as soon as you or your parents suspected that he may have eaten something that toxic. Any vet will have experience dealing with mammals to some extent and although it may not be ideal only a qualified vet can save your piggie and if there is a choice between a qualified yet inexperienced vet now, not seeing a vet or waiting longer to see a Guinea pig expert there is only one option that gives your piggie any chance of survival and that is to get him to a vet now.
I will ask my father to see a vet again tommorow..

I will ask my father to see a vet again tommorow..

i don’t know the time differences between the uk and the Philippines or whether you have out of hours vets, but please do not wait until tomorrow If at all possible get him seen right now. Your piggy sounds so incredibly poorly, delaying further could be fatal

Please get your guinea pig to any vet, whether exotic or not. You have to try and get as much syringe feed into him as possible but if he’s not swallowing that is a real issue.

As a side note, giving veg isn’t enough because hay makes up the largest part of their diet. Not eating enough hay is what causes weight loss. And that can also lead to teeth not being worn down. I really hope you can get pig seen as soon as.
I sure will,I'm not giving hay to my piggies they are just eating green veggie and pellets and vit c,budget cannot reach something morenfor my babies..

I’m afraid that may be where your issue lies then. Guinea pigs need hay (or fresh grass). It’s the one food they should not be without. How long have you had them?

:agr:

hay or grass is the main part of their diet - they must have it constantly available to them at all times. They need the fibre to keep their guts functioning properly and the abrasive silica to keep their teeth worn down.

just feeding them veg and pellets is not a suitable diet

i don’t know the time differences between the uk and the Philippines or whether you have out of hours vets, but please do not wait until tomorrow If at all possible get him seen right now. Your piggy sounds so incredibly poorly, delaying further could be fatal
Its now night in here its 8:53 pm now

Back