• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

I think my piggie has stone or maybe something worse!

mizmarion

New Born Pup
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I noticed my piggy would squeak when using the bathroom so I started to suspect he has a UTI. I took him to the vet who confirmed he had a UTI but he mentions that his urine was a little gritty so maybe he was forming a stone. That was ten days ago, I gave him all of the both the anti inflammatory, and the antibiotic, however now there seems to be some blood in his urine and he is squealing louder when he goes to the potty. The problem I am having is that I don't have the finance to get him a surgery if he needs it but I love him so much I just don't know what to do. Does anyone know of any home remedies I can give him that may help my whole family loves him and can see life without him but I just cant afford to pay for that surgery. !

There is absolutely no home remedy for a stone at all. We don't recommend home remedies on this forum anyway but even if we did there is no magic cure for a stone. My suggestion would be to get a cavy savvy vet to do an x-ray to know one way or another whether there is a stone. If there isn't then maybe the antibiotics aren't being effective and a change in antibiotics would help. I would look to do this asap, if a stone becomes lodged it could be fatal

A few weeks ago I noticed my piggy would squeak when using the bathroom so I started to suspect he has a UTI. I took him to the vet who confirmed he had a UTI but he mentions that his urine was a little gritty so maybe he was forming a stone. That was ten days ago, I gave him all of the both the anti inflammatory, and the antibiotic, however now there seems to be some blood in his urine and he is squealing louder when he goes to the potty. The problem I am having is that I don't have the finance to get him a surgery if he needs it but I love him so much I just don't know what to do. Does anyone know of any home remedies I can give him that may help my whole family loves him and can see life without him but I just cant afford to pay for that surgery. !

Hi and welcome!

Unfortunately, stones usually don't go away on their own. None of the miracle cures has reliably worked out. :(

What you can do, however, is to change the diet to one lower in calcium. This is not a quick fix because it takes time for the body to work out any excess calcium.
Our diet guide looks at all aspects of a diet and also contains a chapter on recommendations for guinea pigs with urinary tract issues. Please be aware that often more calcium comes from water and pellets than from veg. It is important to look at the diet as a whole and not just at veg, which should only make about 10% of what a piggy eats in a day.
Here is the link: Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

There is also a very good chance that it is not a stone but a condition called sterile interstitial cystitis, i.e a non-bacterial recurring bladder infection which cannot be healed by antibiotics because it is not bacterial. The problem is that it usually can only be diagnosed by default after all other bladder issues have been excluded; including the possibility of a bladder stone or sludge.
IC is not well known by vets that do not see lots of piggies but it has become rather common over the last 10 years and has overtaken UTI. It cannot be healed, only managed until it goes away on its own months or years down the line. The good news is that treatment is comparatively cheap and that it doesn't cause stones and is not fatal or life-shortening.
More information via this link here: Guinea Lynx :: UTI

Management of IC is mainly with glucosamine, which we recommend for all longer term bladder problems, and metacam (ideally the stronger dog metacam rather than cat metacam). Glucosamine is not a medication but a food supplement. It is there to strengthen the beleaguered walls of the urinary tract system which are naturally coated with glucosamine as urine is rather corrosive.
PS: Glucosamine you can order from the internet (we recommend cystease which is a cat bladder food supplement; other brand names apply in other countries than the UK) or you can get it from a supermarket.

However, you will have to see a vet again first in order to exclude a stone/sludge before you can get a cavy sterile interstitial cystitis diagnosis. It is similar to feline sterile cystitis (FSC), which your vet may be more familiar with. What you cannot do and what doesn't work is treating for IC when you have a stone or sludge piggy. Once you know where you stand, you can then make an informed decision and treat accordingly.

All the best!

Hi and welcome!

Unfortunately, stones usually don't go away on their own. None of the miracle cures has reliably worked out. :(

What you can do, however, is to change the diet to one lower in calcium. This is not a quick fix because it takes time for the body to work out any excess calcium.
Our diet guide looks at all aspects of a diet and also contains a chapter on recommendations for guinea pigs with urinary tract issues. Please be aware that often more calcium comes from water and pellets than from veg. It is important to look at the diet as a whole and not just at veg, which should only make about 10% of what a piggy eats in a day.
Here is the link: Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

There is also a very good chance that it is not a stone but a condition called sterile interstitial cystitis, i.e a non-bacterial recurring bladder infection which cannot be healed by antibiotics because it is not bacterial. The problem is that it can only be diagnosed be default after all other bladder issues have been excluded; including the possibility of a bladder stone or sludge.
It is not well known by vets that do not see lots of piggies but it has become rather common over the last 10 years and has overtaken UTI. It cannot be healed, only managed until it goes away on its own months or years down the line. The good news is that treatment is comparatively cheap and that it doesn't cause stones and is not fatal or life-shortening.
More information via this link here: Guinea Lynx :: UTI

Management of IC is mainly with glucosamine, which we recommend for all longer term bladder problems, and metacam (ideally the stronger dog metacam rather than cat metacam). Glucosamine is not a medication but a food supplement. It is there to strengthen the beleaguered walls of the urinary tract system which are naturally coated with glucosamine as the urine is corrosive.

However, you will have to see the vet again first in order to exclude a stone/sludge before you can get a cavy sterile interstitial cystitis diagnosis. It is similar to feline sterile cystitis (FSC), which your vet may be more familiar with. What you cannot do and what doesn't work is treating for IC when you have a stone or sludge piggy. Once you know where you stand, you can then make an informed decision and treat accordingly.

PS: Glucosamine you can order from the internet (we recommend cystease which is a cat bladder food supplement; other brand names apply in other countries than the UK) or you can get it from a supermarket.

All the best!
thank you so much this helps me to feel better I was worried we were about to lose him which is heart wrenching to say the least

Back