• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Ic Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
sorry I can't seem to find the ic diet anywhere.. Could I trouble someone for it please? I figure as boring as it looks for them at least they would be healthy.

sorry I can't seem to find the ic diet anywhere.. Could I trouble someone for it please? I figure as boring as it looks for them at least they would be healthy.

I'm switching my boys over to it too. I'll still give the odd occasional treat, such as a slice of carrot, but it'll be once every couple of weeks maybe even less than that, so they don't get poorly. Good luck with it!

Last edited:
Thank you, my piggies tend to avoid spring greens and celery, shall I just keep offering it to them and hope they will eat it? My poor piggies won't know what's hit them when I start feeding them this instead lol. Can they still have the occasional treats or best to avoid?

Thank you, my piggies tend to avoid spring greens and celery, shall I just keep offering it to them and hope they will eat it? My poor piggies won't know what's hit them when I start feeding them this instead lol. Can they still have the occasional treats or best to avoid?
It is defeating the object giving other veg though as a treat isn't it?
See how they go. If they don't want it keep giving the normal veg along with it. My girls do not like green beans so I took it off the diet completely.

Mine don't eat green beans and rarely touch coriander, but I've only just started them on it, so I don't know whether they'll eat it eventually if that's all that's offered to them or whether they'll leave it. I guess you can only keep trying them with it and see how they go, and if they don't eat it then leave it out, or perhaps substitute it for something else with the same properties but seek advice first from people that know about it.

Mine seem to enjoy everything on the diet. I just have to be careful with the coriander. Mabel is like a little hoover once it enters the cage, so I have to hand feed it to them separately.

Yes I'm having similar issues with my dominant boar (Rohan) stealing food off the less dominant boar Paddy, I give the veg in two bowls, but he still steals it off him, naughty Rohan! Looks like I'm going to have to start hand feeding them both to make sure that they both get equal amounts of food.

Thanks for this! Great advice. When you say treats, what about those fruity sticks?

What does IC stand for?

By the way, not necessary to keep pigs to strict diet like this unless they have a history of bladder sludge, grit or stones. Treat veg is fine for piggies without this history! Just be sensible with giving any high calcium veg.

Interstitial cystitis. The person who put the diet together actually recommends it for all pigs so all of mine are on it and doing well. I know it is a matter of opinion though.

Agreed with helen, fruit or honey sticks are very bad for guineas. Give a slice or two of carrot as a treat, or anything else yummy that isnt a daily veg.

The portions seem very small compared to the cup of veg they get. Is it enough? I'd be afraid of them starving and wheeking the whole house down in protest.

The amount of food is enough, as the rest should be LOTS of hay. We have incorporated the IC diet in our diet recommendations - you can find it listed under "daily veg".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back