I'm having a rant!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
About my OH's daugher.
She's really annoyed me! She is almost 19 and went out (with dad) to get a stick insect last Tuesday and came back with a bunny, before she went she'd said she didn't want a rabbit!

Well so far, she's fed him on Tuesday (the day she got him) and got him out for 5mins on Wednesday-that's it!
It's me who's been checking on him, feeding, watering etc (because she's out all day doing whatever) and me that puts him in the piggies run when they're safely away. It's like she has no concept of his needs eventhough she has seen the amount of time i spend preparing veg, cleaning, playing etc with the piggies.

Today she goes to get him from the piggies run and all we could hear was her shouting, "will you come here"
Now the floor of the run is bark chips and isn't muddy so why the hell she couldn't get on her knees and talk to him gently i don't know, which is exactly what i did and hey presto 2 minutes later he was in my arms.
I can see me being the new adoptee!
I'm not really a bunny person and already feel sorry for him being on his own, tho' i know that's best for him and i certainly can't just leave him in his hutch at the bottom of the garden- another lonely, abandoned bunny!
Time will tell i suppose.
My rant is over! ;D

bevs

Reaction score
Hope you feel a bit better now :)

Can OH not have a word with her? she sounds like a daddys girl so may listen to him?

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I do Bev, cos obviously i can't rant too much with the OH ::)

Apparantly before he bought him he did say to her how she had to look after him, feed him, clean him out etc
And of course it was all "of course i will"

I gave her the benefit of the doubt as she's older but honestly didn't think the novely would wear off after only 1 day!

The OH is a pushover (and don't she know it) so would rather look after the bunny himself than "have a word" because it just causes war! ::)

I'm ever thankful that i can't have kids, i don't think i'd have the patience that i have for my fur-kids! ;)

Mary

Reaction score
Fur-kids or real-kids
Fur-kids or real-kids
Fur-kids or real-kids

FUR-KIDS!

S

snugglypig

I will third, forth and fifth that anyday

FUR KIDS RULE

karen ;D ;D ;D ;D

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
:'( :'( poor bunny

I wish people would think more carefully before taking on a pet. The problem is that bunnies and piggies are so readily available in pet shops you can even pick one up when you're buying plants for your garden!

She sounds very immature to me for 19

Kathryn xx

ps I have one real-kid who's fantastic and gives me more pleasure and fun than any fur-kid could, can't stand others though ;D

Mary

Reaction score
I have 3 real-kids (girls!) some times I like them :) some times I dont :( but I will always love them! :-*

C

Cutepeach

wow, sounds real immature for 19, sorry you have to put up with it and take care of the rabbit.

Just think of it this way, at least someone is taking care of the rabbit and giving it attention. Good luck!

kellyandpiggies

Reaction score
Niki said:
Apparantly before he bought him he did say to her how she had to look after him, feed him, clean him out etc
And of course it was all "of course i will"
She's 19 and daddy is still buying for her?! :D

When I was 16 anything that I wanted, I had to save up and buy for myself. Ok, I'm a daddy's girl too (I'm 25), but he never went as far as spoiling me rotten. It was more the attention that I got and the chance of getting away with things.

I'm sorry, but like the others, she sounds really immature. I think it's time that daddy told her to grow up! :)

amillar

Reaction score
Very sad for the rabbit and annoying for you. Perhaps it should be found a new home. Whether your daughter she likes it or not. My 13 year old son has budgies but hasn't doesn't botherd much with them recently. Thinking of letting them go and live with nanny who likes them a lot and looks after them when we are away. He realises this might be the best for the budgies.

Beks

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It's a shame she's not looking after the rabbit as she should, I agree with the others that perhaps you could find him a new home or see if the shop will have him back perhaps?

Either that or she needs to be sat down and talked to about responsibility, rabbits live for a very long time! Just like all pets, they aren't passing phase you can put in a cupboard when you get bored :(

cashmincal

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm 20 (only turned 20 this year), so not much older than her, but I'm sorry to say that to me she sounds really irresponsible (no offence to your oh's daughter), but I do agree, why doesn't your OH have a chat with her about responsibility, and how an animal is for life, etc?

D

DebbieR

You'd think at 19 she would know better. My mother was married with a 3 year old at her age. I'm just glad you're there to look after the poor creature. :(

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Well peeps, i wish i could write all your replies down to "show" that it's not "just me being funny"

Today, she's uncovered the hutch, shouted at the dogs 'cos obviously they want to see what's in there and then went out! Job obviously done!?

The food the pet shop said he was eating, he isn't, he's selectively feeding so i'm gradually introducing him to P@H junior bunny nuggets, which i'm happy to say he loves.

He's been out again in the piggie run for a 2 hour run around and when she comes home she'll be having a talking to because he needs cleaning out tomorrow and that's one job i certainly am NOT doing, not when i have my own hutches to do.

We shall see what happens and thanks again, oh and no offence taken from anyone's comments, i wholeheartedly agree with everyone, she is immature (when it suits) but i would say that, me being the "wicked step-mother" ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
kellyandpiggies said:
LOL :)

She had animals before?
Yep, a hamster (when she lived with her mum) Apparantly she looked after him, til he died of old age, we then bought her a hamster but she only visited weekends then and when he bit her she didn't want to know so we re-homed him with a friend.
I've shown my OH all the messages on here and he was in total agreement :o :o and added that at 19 he shouldn't have to tell her how to look after the bunny! Ho hum the joys of parenting ;) ;D

P

pipercat23

My mom's friend is going through the same thing her daughter who is 23 and got a dog that she doesn't want to care for now. When I was younger my mom let me have hamsters but I could only have them if I I took care of them. Well I got to keep them and she complimented me when she was talking to her friend saying she doesn't have to worry about my pets being cared for. Good luck with her it sounds like she got her way one too many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.