• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Impaction - Huge Poop Passed

laurenm

New Born Pup
Reaction score
About 2 days ago I noticed my guinea pig Bruce was pooping less, and the poops he was passing were tiny. I thought it was just a diet thing as he didn’t seem to be in any pain or anything, was still eating plenty of hay and drinking water, though I did notice he was eating less pellets. However yesterday I was holding him and noticed a bit of poo hanging out. I started researching impaction as I’d heard of it but it’s not something I’d ever had to deal with. Unfortunately I didn’t have time to clear his lil butt out yesterday so was going to do it today, but I’ve just opened his cage and found a HUGE, absolutely stinking, clump of poo. Long story short, can guinea pigs clear impaction themselves? Has anyone else’s piggie done this and do you have any advice? I’m still going to clean him and check him over but just wondering

About 2 days ago I noticed my guinea pig Bruce was pooping less, and the poops he was passing were tiny. I thought it was just a diet thing as he didn’t seem to be in any pain or anything, was still eating plenty of hay and drinking water, though I did notice he was eating less pellets. However yesterday I was holding him and noticed a bit of poo hanging out. I started researching impaction as I’d heard of it but it’s not something I’d ever had to deal with. Unfortunately I didn’t have time to clear his lil butt out yesterday so was going to do it today, but I’ve just opened his cage and found a HUGE, absolutely stinking, clump of poo. Long story short, can guinea pigs clear impaction themselves? Has anyone else’s piggie done this and do you have any advice? I’m still going to clean him and check him over but just wondering

Poor boy! That must have been hard work to get that one out. It is the redigested poos (caecotrophs) that get stuck, so your boy may have tried to get at it and eat a bit of it, and helped himself to get it out.

Poor boy! That must have been hard work to get that one out. It is the redigested poos (caecotrophs) that get stuck, so your boy may have tried to get at it and eat a bit of it, and helped himself to get it out.
Ah that makes sense. He seems perfectly fine now, though if he knew I was posting about his poo on the internet I’m sure he’d be embarrassed :lol:

Back