• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Wheeksers

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ahoy!

I know many of you grow plants for piggies outdoors, but does anyone grow anything indoors? I'm wanting to start up a little mini indoor garden (considering a small hydroponic set-up), but I'm on the fence about it. I'd love to give piggies fresh, organic herbs & veggies straight from a garden, but I do not have an area for outdoor gardening (plus, it is Wisconsin and almost winter!). Thoughts? Tips? Tricks? I'm thinking of starting with some easy herbs such as basil, mint, etc..

You can do pots on the window. I grew coriander inside and it served the piggies well. Just be aware how often you can feed some of them.

I’ve got a grass tray growing on the windowsill, I just give it to the piggies to trim once it looks long enough during the winter when they can’t go outside on the grass. I have also grown carrot tops indoors before, all you do is cut off the top of a carrot and put it into some water and the green leafy stuff starts to grow.

cut off the top of a carrot and put it into some water and the green leafy stuff starts to grow.

I've heard of this before! I might try that as one of my starters.

Only problem with the window is we live in a townhouse that gets amazing amounts of SHADE. Was thinking of getting plant lamps to help out - was just curious of others set-ups and what they grow :D

I've heard of this before! I might try that as one of my starters.

Only problem with the window is we live in a townhouse that gets amazing amounts of SHADE. Was thinking of getting plant lamps to help out - was just curious of others set-ups and what they grow :D
I don't have one myself, but you can buy special setups for growing herbs and salad etc indoors. Search "indoor herbs salad growing " or similar. There are various models, more pricy ones have automatic lights and irrigation etc. Expensive salads for one's piggies perhaps, but hey, it's 'because they're worth it' ;):D

Back