• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Is fleece thread harmful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claire W

Forum Donator 2017/18
This is going to sound like a stupid question but my piggies (especially Eliza who is a bad influence) are relentless chewers. Although they have cosies, fleece beds, snugglesafes and hay I was wanting to put a small fleece blanket in their bed at night time so they can wrap up warm if they wish. The only problem is that the fleece's I intended to use for this are the small cat and dog fleeces with the paw prints on that has a fair bit of thread around the edges.

I have witnessed the pigs following Eliza's example chewing the thread and pulling it out before. I was therefore put off giving them the fleece last night as I wasn't around to keep an eye on them.

If they were to chew the thread and swallow it, would it be harmful to them?

Claire W

Forum Donator 2017/18
In the 3 years I have had Eliza, she has eaten hair, fly netting, towel and a bit of cord from a bag mallethead I think I will give them the fleece as intended as surly the will know it isn't hay rolleyes

BellasMummy

Senior Guinea Pig
My girls will eat anything too, i thought it was because i didn't give them enough hay or sticks to chew on but now they get plenty and they still do it! if its not the fleece its the dining room chairs! :)

Fleece is made from plastic and cannot be digested. It will pass through a piggie's digestive tract without harm.

Thread can be choked on, but the way a piggie eats with a chewing motion at the back of the mouth means that the choking hazard is very small. (They will eat thread the same way they eat a stem of hay) Where thread is made from polyester it will pass through, where it is made from cotton they might even get some nourishment from it!

I have no worries about the very stable dyes used on fleece, I would only worry about dyes that wash out immediately when you wash the cloth so as far as dyes go I wouldn't put cloth that runs easily anywhere chomping piggies.

I've said this before - but my piggies have tasted brick, plastic from the bottom edge of a door, plaster, paint, plastic, cloth, coir matting, rubber and various small invertebrates and they are fine! Having said that - I am very aware of the fact that they happily chew on anything so I've become very careful indeed about what goes near them. I think your piggies will be absolutely fine eating the thread from the edges. Nice warm toasty piggies too!

Status
Not open for further replies.