• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Is fleece thread harmful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claire W

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
This is going to sound like a stupid question but my piggies (especially Eliza who is a bad influence) are relentless chewers. Although they have cosies, fleece beds, snugglesafes and hay I was wanting to put a small fleece blanket in their bed at night time so they can wrap up warm if they wish. The only problem is that the fleece's I intended to use for this are the small cat and dog fleeces with the paw prints on that has a fair bit of thread around the edges.

I have witnessed the pigs following Eliza's example chewing the thread and pulling it out before. I was therefore put off giving them the fleece last night as I wasn't around to keep an eye on them.

If they were to chew the thread and swallow it, would it be harmful to them?

In the 3 years I have had Eliza, she has eaten hair, fly netting, towel and a bit of cord from a bag mallethead I think I will give them the fleece as intended as surly the will know it isn't hay rolleyes

My girls will eat anything too, i thought it was because i didn't give them enough hay or sticks to chew on but now they get plenty and they still do it! if its not the fleece its the dining room chairs! :)

Fleece is made from plastic and cannot be digested. It will pass through a piggie's digestive tract without harm.

Thread can be choked on, but the way a piggie eats with a chewing motion at the back of the mouth means that the choking hazard is very small. (They will eat thread the same way they eat a stem of hay) Where thread is made from polyester it will pass through, where it is made from cotton they might even get some nourishment from it!

I have no worries about the very stable dyes used on fleece, I would only worry about dyes that wash out immediately when you wash the cloth so as far as dyes go I wouldn't put cloth that runs easily anywhere chomping piggies.

I've said this before - but my piggies have tasted brick, plastic from the bottom edge of a door, plaster, paint, plastic, cloth, coir matting, rubber and various small invertebrates and they are fine! Having said that - I am very aware of the fact that they happily chew on anything so I've become very careful indeed about what goes near them. I think your piggies will be absolutely fine eating the thread from the edges. Nice warm toasty piggies too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back