1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is It Normal For My Guinea Pig To Make These Sounds?

Discussion in 'Behaviour and Bonding' started by Brittany Paige, Feb 17, 2017 at 4:16 AM.

Tags:
  1. Brittany Paige

Brittany Paige New Born Pup

One of my guinea pigs makes these sounds constantly when i am holding her. I'm not sure if shes mad or I am doing something wrong. Any ideas?

2. Critter

Critter Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm sorry, perhaps it's me but I couldn't hear it even with the volume right up.
    Was it a rumble sound?
    Sometimes it's better to go on body language as rumbles can mean different things and the difference between the types of rumble can be subtle.
    Does your guinea pig appear to be tense at all, or look relieved to be back in the cage when you take her back? Or does your guinea pig stretch out/lie a little to one side? Is your pig fidgety, does he nudge you or nibble at your clothes?

eileen likes this.
  3. Brittany Paige

Sorry that its such terrible audio. Here is better one.

Critter likes this.
  4. Brittany Paige

She doesnt stretch and lie out and she is more fidgety. I have had her since september 2016. She is almost a year old.

5. Critter

Critter Moderator
    Staff Member

It sounds like she is not ready yet to settle and would rather be up and about. Have you tried letting her explore the settee/couch whilst giving her some treats? She is still young and it's more common for them to not want to sit still on the knee at that age :).

6. Freela

Freela Adult Guinea Pig

My kids call that the 'busy guinea pig' sound. Some pigs are chattier than others. It's not an unhappy noise, she sounds content to me.

7. Kylie80

Kylie80 Teenage Guinea Pig

I have actually never heard my piggies make that sound but I have heard the "I don't like to be touched there" angry purr from them several times at lap time lol. I think it sounds like a happy noise.

8. Cavy Kung-Fu

Cavy Kung-Fu Teenage Guinea Pig

That sounds like my Bella, she's a very busy pig and is usually exploring when she's making those sorts of noises. She's a year and 5 months, still very young at heart though :))

She liked it when I was laying down in their run because she could climb all over me and that was far better than having to sit in one place and be cuddled! Might be worth doing something similar and letting the curious pig run riot on you, it's also super cute!

9. Roclibrarian

Forum Donator 2016/17

Sounds like my Ginny, we call her chatty pig because she never shuts up at lap time. Ginny makes this sound while lying flat out, chooken legs and everything. When taken along side relaxed body language, I figured it must be a happy noise. She starts getting fidgety when she needs a wee so I know when she's had enough.