• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Is It Safe To Keep Guinea Pigs While Pregnant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammy!

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I am the proud owner of three boars aged 6, 5 & 1 and am currently 15 weeks pregnant with my first child. I've recently been told by a friend that Guinea pigs potentially carry a virus called lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus (LCMV) and I should avoid contact with them and their bedding etc. My boyfriend is allergic to the piggies and can't really help out with the cleaning-out which I do every two days. They are house pigs. I would be really grateful if anyone could offer any insight or advice into this as naturally I'm a bit worried...! I love to snuggle my piggy boys and would love some reassurance that this is ok to do. I wear latex gloves when cleaning them out and wash my hands thoroughly after handling them. Thanks.

Good question. I kept piggies throughout my pregnancy with my twins and had no problems at all. That was several years ago, and I wasn't advised to take any additional precautions.
@AbiS had a baby earlier this year and shares her home with 2 boars.
I am sure other members may be able to share their experiences.

Not been in this situation but have just had a quick research online and it seems to be mice that are the problem so unless you have mice coming into the house that could infect your piggies (which could then infect you) I'm not sure how real the risk is.

LCMV is naturally spread by the common house mouse, Mus musculus.[8] Once infected, these mice can become chronically infected by maintaining virus in their blood and/or persistently shedding virus in their urine. Chronically infected female mice usually transmit infection to their offspring (vertical transmission), which in turn become chronically infected. Other modes of mouse-to-mouse transmission include nasal secretions, milk from infected dams, bites, and during social grooming within mouse communities. Airborne transmission also occurs.[9]

The virus seems to be relatively resistant to drying and therefore humans can become infected by inhaling infectious aerosolized particles of rodent urine, feces, or saliva, by ingesting food contaminated with virus, by contamination of mucous membranes with infected body fluids, or by directly exposing cuts or other open wounds to virus-infected blood. The only documented cases of transmission from animals have occurred between humans and mice or hamsters.

As far as I know there is no specific advice regarding Guinea pigs in pregnancy other than the general common sense advice of good hand hygiene that applies to any animal care. Cats and sheep have specific avoidance advice but not Guinea pigs.

Congratulations, have a happy healthy pregnancy.

I think it's wild rodents, and not very heard of for piggies spreading it to humans. I think, of course I'm no expert, that cavy-human and vice versa diseases are rare. We've all had a terrible cold (runny nose, sore throat, then a horrible phlegmy cough! Why?!) and I was scared of the boys getting ill, but they're fine :D
Well, according to them, we're neglecting them; they say they need constant veggies and cuddles on tap. Hmm:hmm:
Anyway, I'm sure you're safe. Also-
:yahoo::luv:Congratulations!:luv::yahoo:
A mini human! The boys send licks, nibbles and kisses!:))

Never heard of this before. Although I didn't have guinea pigs while pregnant.
Congratulations!:yahoo:

I agree with everyone here I don’t think that it is dangerous to have guinea pigs as pets when you are pregnant.The reason why this rumor has persisted is because there is a cat disease that can affect pregnant women, wild mice can spread this disease too but the chances of them infecting pet rodents is nil.So you don’t have to worry, just to be on the safe side wash your hands after handling your pets.Congratulation on being pregnant :) Since you are going to be a first time mom make sure that you baby proof your house well before the baby comes.Here is a blog from api alarm a home alarm company that mentions some tips on how to keep your home safe for the baby .Wish you all the best :)

I agree with everyone here I don’t think that it is dangerous to have guinea pigs as pets when you are pregnant.The reason why this rumor has persisted is because there is a cat disease that can affect pregnant women, wild mice can spread this disease too but the chances of them infecting pet rodents is nil.So you don’t have to worry, just to be on the safe side wash your hands after handling your pets.Congratulation on being pregnant :) Since you are going to be a first time mom make sure that you baby proof your house well before the baby comes.Here is a blog from api alarm a home alarm company that mentions some tips on how to keep your home safe for the baby .Wish you all the best :)

Thanks very much, that's very kind, I'll give it a read! X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back