• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Is My Piggie Okay?

Cookie18

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Over these past few days, I've noticed Cookie, my guinea pig, had become lazier or lethargic. I currently have her on my stomach and every now and then I can hear her wheezing and she's just laying on me when she would usually walk around as if to get comfy, she has also been grinding her teeth and twitching her stomach. I would speak to my mother about this, but she would shrug it off and say I'm just being to protective over her, but I have this feeling that something isn't right about her. Cookie is also a very quiet piggie and only squeaks when the others do. What should I do?

20190102_110330.jpg
That's Cookie^^

Sounds like Cookie definitely needs to see a vet. Wheezing may be a respiratory infection and teeth grinding and twitching suggest she might be in pain. Please see a vet as soon as you can, I hope Cookie gets better soon.

I agree she needs to see a vet, wheezing is not normal and needs to be investigated, especially as there has also been a change in her behaviour. Could you show your mum this thread?

I will, but she says ita my fault that she's like that because I forgot to clean out the piggy's cage. She might be right.

I will, but she says ita my fault that she's like that because I forgot to clean out the piggy's cage. She might be right.
Your fault or not, the pig shouldnt be punished, needs to see a vet. ( doubt its your fault) 👍

Any change in behaviour needs investigating. Wheezing and tooth grinding, as well as sides twitching, are not normal guinea pig behaviours. Please ask your mother to get a vet appointment for her ASAP.

Over these past few days, I've noticed Cookie, my guinea pig, had become lazier or lethargic. I currently have her on my stomach and every now and then I can hear her wheezing and she's just laying on me when she would usually walk around as if to get comfy, she has also been grinding her teeth and twitching her stomach. I would speak to my mother about this, but she would shrug it off and say I'm just being to protective over her, but I have this feeling that something isn't right about her. Cookie is also a very quiet piggie and only squeaks when the others do. What should I do?

View attachment 103866
That's Cookie^^

Hi! Please have her vet checked. You are reporting several signs of pain. Make sure that your vet also checks the crucial back teeth for overgrowing spurs.

Switch from the normal once weekly weigh-in to weighing daily at the same time so you can monitor her food intake. Over 80% is hay, which you cannot control otherwise. Step in with syringe feeding and seeing a vet if she loses more than 50g/2 oz in one day or less than a week.

How Soon Should My Guinea Pig See A Vet? - A Quick Guide
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
Administering Medications And Syringe Feed

I agree - you do need to see a vet.
I occasionally leave cage cleaning longer that I really like because work gets in the way.
My piggies have never had any ill effects
Keep us posted

Back