• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Is the cage size good?

Kaymarq

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So I’m making a cage out of the wire used for c&c but with a wood bottom that we’ll water proof and wood support so it isn’t too flimsy. His cage is going to be 33” by 42” and I was wondering if that is an ok cage size? We can’t go much bigger either

Welcome to the Forum.

Unfortunately the cage size you are thinking of is below the recommended minimum, even for 2 sows (boars require even more space).
A good place to start with that would be here;
Cage Size Guide

Is there anyway you can exten this - maybe not making the cage rectangular but L shaped?

Welcome to the Forum.

Unfortunately the cage size you are thinking of is below the recommended minimum, even for 2 sows (boars require even more space).
A good place to start with that would be here;
Cage Size Guide

Is there anyway you can exten this - maybe not making the cage rectangular but L shaped?
I can’t because my room is very small and I have nowhere else for the cage to go but the square footage would be 9.63? It says that it should be atleast 8 square feet. Or is that the minimum?

I can’t because my room is very small and I have nowhere else for the cage to go but the square footage would be 9.63? It says that it should be atleast 8 square feet. Or is that the minimum?
I think I would be able to fit 6 ft by 2 but I’d have to take that with my dad who’s paying for most of the items but, It would go ove a vent and in all reason be sort of weirdly placed.

that would be a great size if you can manage it with enough room for you to live there too. Just consider whether it is really practical for you to keep an animal that requires so much space in such a small room don't let your heart rule your head.

It may not be the normal 48” but I’m sure the other 6” in length is definitely made up for in the extra 9” in depth. I wouldn’t go with more than two sows, though.

The thing is I’m actually only going to be able to get 1 because I’m adopting from my sisters friend. (She got him as a gift from her bf but they broke up) I was told though that they’ve tried to get him a partner in the past but he’s aggressive towards them and doesn’t like even being around anyone. So I don’t know if I should try? He seems very docile when I’m with him, a little shy even.

No, the square footage would be well under 9.63.
How did you come up with this number?
The size is 83cms x 106cms, which is well below the recommended space.
Plus you now mention only being able to take on a single guinea pig.

I would seriously beg you to reconsider.
Taking on a single pig in a too small cage is really not doing anyone (least of al the guinea pig) any favours.
Sorry to be blunt, but the best thing to coinsdier may be handing this guinea pig over to a reputable reascue.

Well if I can manage I can try to make a larger cage but there can’t be anything done about only having one guinea pig as is :/ I feel as though I’ve explained that part. He seems completely fine by himself and they said they had no issues with him by himself. What would be the minimum recommended size then and I’ll see what I can do?

Also I checked and if mine was 33” by 42” that’s technically a few inches more than needed for one or two guinea pigs. They say the minimum is 2x4 or 120x60 so the extra inches on the width should make up for the lost of inches on the length? They say that equals 8 square feet or approximately that. I know I shouldn’t go for the minimum but That’s the most I can provide (maybe when I move I can add on space)

It works out approximately 9.6 sq feet.
The biggest issue I have is that you want to get a lone pig. 7 years is a very long time to live alone. He may well be ‘okay’ on his own but piggies aren’t wired to live alone. They need the constant company of their own kind. I’m afraid no amount of time spent with him can replace that. You can never truly understand piggy language - only guess at what he’s trying to say or do from others’ experience. As for his being aggressive and not liking being around other piggies - how many did they try him with? Piggies aren’t (usually) aggressive. He probably just wants to be the dominant one, in which case he needs a submissive friend to live with. And piggies getting on well is down to matching characters, much like humans. Would you like to live alone with no other human around , and only surrounded by large creatures you can’t communicate with or understand? Because that’s what it would be like. Can you see what a lonely existence that would be?

You (probably) won’t like it but I’m afraid I’m with Swissgreys. I would strongly recommend that you re think taking on the lone piggy, or any piggy at this time. Even if you did and got him a (male) friend, it’s not enough space for two boars. Lack of space for boars can lead to fallouts. If you decided to neuter him and get him a girlfriend, would your dad be willing to pay the vet costs? And, You say when you move you’d have more space. when would that be? I think it’s better that you wait till you have more space and can also adopt from a rescue. The piggies are health checked and more importantly, they’re already paired off.

One important thing - is your dad aware of vet costs for piggies? That’s also something to consider seriously.

I’d be paying those myself and yes he’s aware and if things go right I can of course try to get another guinea pig as a friend but I have to talk it through with my dad cause this is his house.😂
I have talked it over and he said the maximum he is willing to do with expenses is around 46 which will make it 10.5 square feet would that be ok?

I looked online and it said that male guinea pigs are ok to be alone can while females like to be in groups can I get a fact check?

I looked online and it said that male guinea pigs are ok to be alone can while females like to be in groups can I get a fact check?
Oh nvm it says they will want a friend though, fact checked by myself.

That’s still not big enough for two boars. Please do hold off for now until you’re in a bigger place where you can give them the space they need.

Is it the vet fees you’d be paying yourself? Do you have regular income. Are you able to put some money aside every month for a piggy fund?

Piggies aren’t okay to be alonE. It’s nothing to do with their sex. Where did you read that?
Companionship

Ps friendship is a need, not just a want.

And yes I have a stable income what would make you think I don’t but ok I won’t adopt him and tell my sister to give him to someone else. I guess it doesn’t matter anymore and I’ll throw away the plans I’ve been doing for weeks now 🤷🏻‍♀️ I guess everything you read online is garbage.

The main issue with size is stability, no? And you want to get a solid plank beneath it? I believe most C&C cages are plenty stable if you grid the bottom, too.

I’m so sorry we’ve come across as rude but it’s in our best intentions. Plenty of people have heaps of experience on here and know boars in a cage that size don’t often work out. I personally wouldn’t say to throw out the idea—if anything you would be better than some random person just because you are researching. It would just take a bit more effort in finding a good match. :)

And, yes, unfortunately there is a lot of misinformation out there—only recently have small animals come into the ethical spot light and some blogs and even full blown organizations just don’t post proper, researched info (looking at you ASPCA—24x12” for a hamster? Have you even seen a 12” wheel?). It can be difficult to find out who to trust, and while I’m not going to call this forum the best and holier than thou because that’s just rich considering the circumstances, I can say we have plenty of knowledgeable people/rescues on here who know what they’re talking about. You choose what you want to follow, and if the 4x2’ minimum works for you it works for you, we just can’t guarantee an amazing success rate.

I was not able to give my boys an appropriate sized cage for the first year of their life and I had to live with that guilt until I was able to upgrade and still find it hard to forgive myself. This cage size is not ideal but just because it's a little on the small side does not mean that your pigs will definitely fight it just lowers the chance of them getting along. My boys spent their first year in a store brought cage and never fought although I am probably just lucky. On this forum we aim for the highest standard of care possible which is above the minimum but the minimum is bigger that a lot of piggies get and if you are taking him from a worse situation then I would hate to be the one to stop you. try to do as much as you can but don't beat yourself up over what you can't change. do you have a garden with a run for some outdoor time or a space they can enjoy some floor time once a day. guinea pig vet care in the states can be incredibly expensive or so I've heard so it may be worth checking that out before assuming you will be able to cover it I know other members have mentioned this already but I just wanted to check this wouldn't be a problem.

Your boy will definitely need a friend though, many rescues offer a bonding service which can help with this but be warned that if he can't be bonded to another male he may need to be neutered and pared with a female although this is quite rare.

can I also ask how old are you? we see a lot of children on here plotting to get pets without full permission from parents which is why some of the other members may have been quite blunt with you when we heard you were living in your fathers house.

And yes I have a stable income what would make you think I don’t but ok I won’t adopt him and tell my sister to give him to someone else. I guess it doesn’t matter anymore and I’ll throw away the plans I’ve been doing for weeks now 🤷🏻‍♀️ I guess everything you read online is garbage.
I’m sorry if my assumption on your age was incorrect. I can only go by what you wrote. You said your dad is paying for the cage? And you’ll be paying the rest.

And of course it still matters. You have researched etc. But you also have to understand that, as mentioned above, what you read on the internet (about piggies) isn’t always true. The people on here mostly speak from experience, and we don’t want you to have a difficult time with your piggies when you should be enjoying them.

I would say you can wait until lockdown is over and rescues have opened once again. Then you can hopefully rescue a pair of sows who would be ok with the maximum space you can provide. But it wouldn’t be fair to put boars in that situation, and certainly not a single.

On that note, I can’t remember if you said your sister has other piggies or not? Sorry, I did read your first post.

Back