• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Jaw abscess

pepnpap

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I was wondering how long it usually takes an abscess to grow. I noticed a grape sized lump at around 9pm today and by 11pm it was golf ball sized. He's still got a big appetite for his liquid food. It's definitely related to molars because he chipped a front tooth awhile ago. vet said his molars looked fine at the time but now his front teeth are slanted. going to call all of the local vets tomorrow until I get someone that can lance it and look at his teeth. but I was wondering if it was weird for it to grow that fast? I could have exacerbated it with the hand feeding I think.

Lumps can grow fast, and any fast growing lump does need a vet.
You wont have exacerbated it by feeding - if he isn’t eating for himself, then syringe feeding is essential
I hope he is ok

I was wondering how long it usually takes an abscess to grow. I noticed a grape sized lump at around 9pm today and by 11pm it was golf ball sized. He's still got a big appetite for his liquid food. It's definitely related to molars because he chipped a front tooth awhile ago. vet said his molars looked fine at the time but now his front teeth are slanted. going to call all of the local vets tomorrow until I get someone that can lance it and look at his teeth. but I was wondering if it was weird for it to grow that fast? I could have exacerbated it with the hand feeding I think.

Hi

Please get a vet appointment as soon as possible today. Abscesses or tumours that are blowing up can grow at a truly terrifying speed and need to be addressed as an emergency.

Abscesses can pop up quickly, from nothing to large overnight. Feeding him won't have made it any worse- it's essential to get food into him if he isn't able to eat on his own. Hope you can get him to a vet ASAP! Best wishes!

Hi all! I did manage to get a vet appointment today. They were so great. They drained the abscess and trimmed his teeth with a dremal (unsure on spelling) without any anesthesia which I was really glad for. He's on pain killers and antibiotic but he's definitely happier. We have a check up in 2 weeks where he'll probably get an x-ray. The vet didn't even charge me a new patient or emergency fee bless them (still $211 though lol). also his molars were almost bridged so I'm kind of annoyed at my old vet for not catching that earlier because I specifically asked her to check them.

Great news.. it’s sounds like the vet you’ve got now is good…
I think it’s hard to check the molars…waaay in the back are hard to “check”-/ my vet said.. it was best checked when they were asleep…
My Piggie got an abscess… yea.. they grow quick… I’m glad yours got drained and cleaned up 😊 good.

Great news, weigh him daily as he will be a bit sore and you may have to step in with syringe feeding if he is struggling. Hope he makes a full recovery x

Back