• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Just back from out of hours vets ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Posiesparkles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
As the title says, just back from out of hours vets to have Rogue checked out (ironically just a few hours ago I put pigtures up on the forum of all 3 of my piggies). Really weird, hoping someone might know some more/might help someone ...

Rogue has been fine today, they are indoor piggies in the lounge and I have been playing with them. Suddenly Rogue started making weird noises in her throat and her throat all the way down to her tummy was covered in saliva. She was lying with her eyes half closed and wasn't moving. I picked her up and she let me which is really unusual, and then sat passively on my lap (again unusual). I cuddled her with a fleece and she sat and tried to cuddle in, but was a little floppy. Husband immediately rang our vets who do out of hours and we took her in ...

Love our vets, got a different one from usual but he was lovely. Respirations were fine, no teeth problems, but she was vibrating every few seconds almost as if she was trying to pass something. No squeaks but very passive and limp.

Vet examined her, got her walking, much better than when she had been on my lap. He then said he could feel a lump and straight away did an ultrasound (thankfully no anaesthetic). I have to say I always thought it would be me that husband and I were looking at an ultrasound at!

I held her and he did a great job with ultrasound. It showed a 3cm mass in front of her bladder with some liquid round it, he thought something had happened to it which was why she reacted as she did. It was all so sudden, she has been eating/drinking, playing and passing wee/pellets as normal.

Left Rogue at vets. She is to have the lump aspirated (?)/ like a biopsy I suppose. He said that it could be that she has a cyst, it could be something nastier and worst case it could be something I can't remember the name of - it causes internal absesses and is contagious.

Rogue is having this done tomorrow and then we will take it from there. They are ringing us at 8am tomorrow.

So pleased with vets, they are fantastic. I have to admit that I cried all the way home though. Hate the thought of her alone at the vets, we did leave her cosy and hay etc for her. However, at least we took her in immediately and got her checked. Her sisters seem ok without her, hopefully this will last as they are never separated.

Feeling so so sad for Rogue, can't bear to think of all the possibilities that it could be. The mass looked so big on the ultrasound and she is my baby.

Posiesparkles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Quick update - they have taken the sample already and know it is not the contagious thing, but it is a growth of something.

Can't bear the waiting now, no sleep tonight. If you don't mind, if you read this can you post something, feel quite alone in piggy world atm. Thank goodness for my lovely husband and my other two xx

clairelove

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
awww I'm so sorry vibes sent your way for helping your guinea and hoping for a fast recovery x

please keep us updated as so many people dont and we are always left wondering x

Posiesparkles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thankyou for such speedy replies. Will keep you posted. If nothing else, hopefully this will help someone as it literally came in instantly with no previous symptoms. xx

clairelove

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
as sad as it is everything posted on this forum helps to save the lifes of other guinea pigs as we all learn new things everyday from it x

PiggiePal

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hello hon just read this on my way to bed. I switched my laptop off, got ready for bed then checked the forum on my phone. Ha ha addiction!
Glad that the vets are so good with her, that'd help put my mind at rest at least. She has her nice cosy and some hay to munch I'm sure she's ok there. Know what you mean though x x
as for the Mass could it be an ovarian cyst rupture? No experience of this but maybe someone else has?
Sending massive healing vibes to dear Rogue and big hugs to her worried mummy. Lots of love Alyson x x x

Posiesparkles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hopefully not making you switch on again PiggiePal! Not sure what lumps are - wondered about some kind of rupture myself as vet said was liquid around it.

My poor piggie. Keep torturing myself that could have done more, but she was fine before and you can't feel a lump when holding her. Plus we did take her to vets asap which makes me feel better.

Will go and cuddle her sisters now I think! Not sure if they know what is going on but Misty who is usually a nibbler came and snuffled and licked me instead. Lovely piggies! xx

Reaction score
Good luck.....we're just hoping Gizzy makes it to the vet appointment tomorrow, she's been lying on our laps in turns all night, something which she'd never do, she'd get twitchy when she needed to pee......but not tonight...:...

Posiesparkles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Lots of love to Gizzy, and squeaks from Storm and Misty too! Hope that she is ok. Let us know how she gets on x

Piggyologist

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hope Rogue is going to be fine. Don't worry, it sounds like you have a very good vet, she's going to be ok there.

lynneprice

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
ahh hope your little Rogue is ok ,I'm new to "piggy mad world " but totally mad about my 5 piggies ,sending a big hug your way xx lynne

Posiesparkles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We lost our Rogue. Too upset to talk about it but will post more later

clairelove

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
ohh my god nooooo:0:0:0

i am so sorry for your loss i know what its like as i lost my sow 2 wks ago she had a massive lump in her tummy and i got her to the vets took her out of the carrier and she had already died:0

sending hugggggeeeeeee hugs xxxxx

Posiesparkles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ok here we go ...

Got a call from lovely vet this morning. He said that he had given her strong painkillers but she was still vibrating as she had been, dribbling and refusing food or water. I think they syringe fed her some rescue remedy and tried tempting her but to no interest. He said that she was huddled up in her cosy and looked depressed.

We could operate but she was getting weaker and was unlikely to come through, esp as they didn't know what it was. They did an aspiration biopsy thing but wouldn't get results for a day or two.

Asked him what was best for Rogue, not us, and he said that they could operate but it meant putting her body through stress and it was unlikely to work. So we opted to have her pts on two vets' opinions. Most horrible, horrible decision, did it for her not us.

They waited until we were there. It broke my heart to see her, she was hunched in the cosy and just looked broken, like she had given up. Even though she had had painkillers she looked uncomfortable and just gone really.

I held her and she snuggled into her normal position and wanted comfort. So did I, that broke my heart.

I can't believe that she has gone. We have her physically here and got pet cremation picking her up - this may sound silly but can;t bear to bury her here as we are in a rented house - I don't want to leave her.

Storm and Misty (sisters) look ok but a bit subdued. They won't blame us for her disappearing will they? Will they be ok as a pair? They are not cuddly guineas with each other.

Don't know what to do with myself now. If you want to see her have a look at stories and photos section - funnily enough I took them two days ago.

Keep going over what happened - feel as if I should have done more, but no lump was visible to eye or touch, took her to vet as soon as she changed. Please reassure me!

Lots of love to all guineas and piggle owners x

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.