• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

COVID-19 Just wondering what the rest of the world thinks...

HeatherRose

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So the governor of Kentucky just mandated that people have to wear masks in public places, it was optional before. I have been wearing a mask all along and have only been going out when necessary. Some people are freaking out about the government forcing them to wear a mask and there is a lot of tension between people over it (not to mention the racial tension going on here, it’s all a mess). Anyway I was just wondering if people in different countries are refusing to wear masks.

So the governor of Kentucky just mandated that people have to wear masks in public places, it was optional before. I have been wearing a mask all along and have only been going out when necessary. Some people are freaking out about the government forcing them to wear a mask and there is a lot of tension between people over it (not to mention the racial tension going on here, it’s all a mess). Anyway I was just wondering if people in different countries are refusing to wear masks.
😔
It is really overwhelming where I live. People yell at one another and aren't being very kind. :(

It's only compulsory in the UK on public transport and some hairdressers are requesting that you wear masks too. My OH works on building sites and sometimes has to wear a face covering.

Personally, I don't usually wear a mask when going out unless it's to a place where there are masses of vulnerables. But if someone asks me too, I'll happily comply.

Apparently mandatory masks are being considered in more situations for England. I will wear one if I am told to. I've avoided public transport so far, so haven't had to wear one then. I've only shopped in large, fairly empty stores where I can keep 2m or more from others, so I haven't put a mask on there, although I take it with me in case it seems appropriate when I get there. I took my daughter to the hospital last week to attend a routine clinic and we both wore masks the whole time we were on the site.

The thing that I find really obnoxious about people refusing to wear masks is that wearing them protects *others*, not you. So you're not saying "I'll take the risk of contracting the virus", you're saying "I don't care if you catch the virus from me", which is a horrible, aggressive stance. A mask doesn't guarantee stopping you spreading infection if you are asymptomatic, but it might protect some of the people you are come into close contact with.

@HeatherRose and @Mo & Stubbins & Vani Gosh, I didn't realise it was really that bad in the US 😔 I'm so sorry, it must be so unsettling.
I thought it was the media blowing things out of proportion.
I wear a mask if it's required or I feel the need to but if it it's made compulsory, I have no problem in wearing one. I feel very similar to @Sparklepetal in that I'm not protecting myself; it's other vulnerable people.
I'm a serial hugger so I'm absolutely desperate for this to be over! That's why I'm so needy with my piggies 😜 x

I think overall the majority of people in the UK have complied quite sensibly with the government advice, and will continue to do so- I've only worn a mask a few times so far as I havent been out much, but I always have one in my bag, and pop it on if I am going into a small or busy shop or into the sheltered housing complex where my old mum lives- its just polite isnt it to protect the elderly and the shop workers! When uni reopens in September face masks will be compulsary in the corridors and teaching spaces, and lecturers will get visors to wear while teaching. The uni is apparently having a load of reusable masks with the uni logo in our team colours made to give to students at enrollment, and the security staff will be handing out disposable masks on the door to anyone not wearing one.
The situation in the USA looks very scary @HeatherRose I hope you all stay safe!

To be honest, the response in the US has been the metric we're all working from, although there have been many mistakes in the UK we can always say we've been better than the US, although statisically the number of deaths is insignificant if taken as a percentage of the population, it's inevitable that if the US has another peak that we will suffer as a result, really the entire financial system of the Western World is so intertwined that if you go under, so will we, and it really will be another Great Depression. I've already expressed my frustration with the leadership of your country, and the healthcare system - we're far luckier in that respect, but our healthcare can only continue if revenue from taxes remains consistent. We've recently seen large numbers of job cuts as our economy reopens.

EDIT TO ADD:
On masks, I don't have any, but I'd be perfectly happy to wear one as a precation, they do little for the individual wearing them, but they serve to protect those you may come in contact with. I have seen in the US that this, like most things have become a partisan issue, and I've seen that people are actively confronted for wearing them, it is, frankly, completely, insane.

I have been wearing my face covering in supermarkets or anywhere I have found to be busy. I don't feel the need to wear it outdoors as you can generally avoid getting too close to people.

I do a mental risk assessment when I enter any new situation and put on my facemask if I think it is necessary to protect myself or others.

I have been sewing face masks for friends and family and I've been carrying one with me at all times although I've not had to wear one yet. as an outsider america scares me it seems that tension between the public and healthcare providers has been there for a while where healthcare can at times be seen as a profitable business taking advantage of peoples illnesses it causes cracks that allows conspiracy theorists to slip in and start things like the anti-vaxx movement and further these little rivalries between people and authorities that cause a problem at the best of time but really make things hard at a time that we all need to stand together. I have to say watching what's going on in the US is sort of like watching a TV drama it's easy to forget that it's all real sometimes because it's so far removed from our experiences here. I hope things settle down soon for you and I'm really sorry you're caught up in it all.

With Leicester being back in lockdown the supermarkets are being Uber strict again with the numbers in supermarkets so it's easy to keep a distance from everyone. I don't wear a mask unless I have to as I struggle not to fidget with it and if I'm going to keep touching my face while out and about it defeats the purpose. I wore one at the doctor's as requested and have no problem wearing one to protect others. Once my hairdressers are allowed to reopen I will wear one as they request it too

I don't think people here in the UK complain about wearing a mask like how loads of Americans do. If there are, then I haven't read any news or even in social media about it. I wear a mask if I go to supermarkets (which is rarely at the moment) and definitely when I go for my hair appointment at the end of the month. I can't understand why there is a big backlash about it in the US. What's the big deal?! 🙄🤦‍♀️

Even my mum isn't moaning about the mask wearing and she relies on seeing people's lips due to hearing loss. She's a bit worried about how she will manage to communicate with people properly but would rather everyone stays safe

I think the covid-19 thing has really brought out the best in the British people, we are very lucky to have the NHS and the furlough scheme as big cushions to reassure us, and free food parcels delivered to the sick and elderly who are shielding... all that clap for carers and rainbows in the windows and letting nurses go first in shops... its all quite nice really!
And I think overwhelmingly most of us believe the science, and trust our health service- it IS a virus we can spread by breathing on each other, not a government conspiracy to curtail our civil liberties, nor a chinese conspiracy, nor is it related to mobile phone masts or an attempt by Bill Gates to microchip us all with fake vaccines! And although we have political quibbles and differences of opinion here, these are quite mild up to the USA... I would never have voted for Boris but I was glad on a human level that he didnt die of the virus, and I think he's doing his best, up to Trump and that Brazilian guy he's doing quite well really to be honest about the risks and the uncertainty associated with things and to keep us all on board...

Even my mum isn't moaning about the mask wearing and she relies on seeing people's lips due to hearing loss. She's a bit worried about how she will manage to communicate with people properly but would rather everyone stays safe
We have a friend who is deaf (caused by a horrible accident years ago) and relies in lip reading. She recommends her friends to buy a mask with a see through part for the lips. Something like the photo below.

FB_IMG_1594471903417.jpg

Back