• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

COVID-19 Just wondering what the rest of the world thinks...

This pandemic is really showing up the politicians around the world, isn't it?

In all fairness to Boris, he is trying sincerely to navigate a course with bringing in safety measures only to raise a chorus of protests and people pointing out that it is not working for them - hence the wishy washy line. But it is a lot more than leaders in some other countries are doing. And the structural problems in the public service and economy are not quite his personal fault. Nor was it obvious in March just how damaging the virus really is for those it affects more strongly. Boris's first and foremost aim at the start of lockdown was to protect the NHS from being overwhelmed and he has just about managed that. Still, there is 'could have done a lot better' in his report!

I wouldn't expect any leader coming through this without making mistakes and misjudgments at some point or other as this is truly unprecedented and there are too many unknowns still in play; the end and any long term implication are nowhere near in sight. We are still only in the early stages of it all.
I try to just judge on performance, not political orientation although that is playing sadly a massive role in some countries, at the price of even more lives.

A lot will become obvious only in hindsight and when it can be analysed, to be learned as lessons for the future. Right now it is sadly one big muddle with every country fighting for itself. My heart is aching for all those people who can't access medical help and all those countries where the medical system can't cope.

But I agree with you that there are still too many people not wearing masks and ignoring distancing in the UK. There are sadly certain shops I refuse to go back into as I am sooo not feeling safe (not to mention my hub)! I haven't been in town since the end of February. :(
Well said

I've had a complete melt down today after seeing Boris is considering making masks compulsory in shops, I've been worrying about this happening since the start. I've tried to wear a mask but anything on my head (even struggle to wear a hat in the rain) or face gives me a panic attack. If we have to wear masks I won't be able to shop and having been completely let down by the supermarket home delivery system I don't know what we will do. My partner can't wear a mask as he has COPD and can't breath with one on.
There are face covering exemption cards that you can get. I saw a poster about it today. The website to get them or has information on where to get them is www.keepsafe.org.uk/mask

Thank you @Lily & Rose
I'm practising wearing a mask around the house for a few minutes a day. I'm getting better with it and not going into an immediate panic trying to pull it off. I've realised this fear has come about from the pain of a damaged nerve I suffered 20 years ago which paralysed my face. It's time I got over this and am able to have things around my face head again. All things are possible with perseverance. I'm also stocking up with food and essentials so that I don't have to shop much, my once a week shopping trip is about to become even less.

Thank you @Lily & Rose
I'm practising wearing a mask around the house for a few minutes a day. I'm getting better with it and not going into an immediate panic trying to pull it off. I've realised this fear has come about from the pain of a damaged nerve I suffered 20 years ago which paralysed my face. It's time I got over this and am able to have things around my face head again. All things are possible with perseverance. I'm also stocking up with food and essentials so that I don't have to shop much, my once a week shopping trip is about to become even less.

Have you got neighbours who could support you with shopping if necessary?

Putting the mask on is rather stifling at first but then you get used to it and forget about it as you concentrate fully getting everything you need for a week with a hub and 27 piggies while dodging other people as much as possible.

I hope that you can extend the times bit by bit and allow you to use pick-up rather than browsing whenever possible as an alternative option. Try to give yourself points for every minute more that you can stand it and then convert every minute into a point and turn them into a little reward scheme for yourself?
Would it help if you tried to pictured the mask as medieval armour with space to breathe to keep you safe in your mind instead as a source of distress?

It is tough getting over previous traumas, but you can do it especially when you know the reason and know that it no longer applies. I can't remember it of course but I was severely traumatised as a one year old when a gp with one of the big needles they still had in the 60ies failed to draw blood for testing from the arm (despite FAR too many of tries). As a result I had a panic about needles for many years; trying to tell me not to carry on so was about the least helpful advice!

I did get over it thanks to knowing where my fear had come from and that it was not not an irrational thing. Thankfully needles and finger pricks are not the kind of monster size they used to be anymore. But I am still not ready to go and donate blood...

I will get there, I've over come worse in the past! Now I've worked out where the fear has come from I can beat it. Unfortunately none of my neighbours are shopping either for various reasons but we have all been very busy distance swapping things we have and don't want. The piggies have come off particularly well with veggies as one of my neighbours is having veg boxes delivered every week, the contents are a random surprise so she often has surplus.

I will get there, I've over come worse in the past! Now I've worked out where the fear has come from I can beat it. Unfortunately none of my neighbours are shopping either for various reasons but we have all been very busy distance swapping things we have and don't want. The piggies have come off particularly well with veggies as one of my neighbours is having veg boxes delivered every week, the contents are a random surprise so she often has surplus.

It's just speculation, but hopefully from 1st August when shielding ends, online shopping slots might become more available. I can fully sympathise, that although it may not be rational, sometimes we find ourselves in a battle with our emotions to do the right thing, for instance, and it's silly I still have a fear of clowns.

It's just speculation, but hopefully from 1st August when shielding ends, online shopping slots might become more available. I can fully sympathise, that although it may not be rational, sometimes we find ourselves in a battle with our emotions to do the right thing, for instance, and it's silly I still have a fear of clowns.
I fully understand too, I have a very irrational phobia of ballpit balls, no its not a joke my kids get invited to a birthday party someone else has to take them its an actual living nightmare, I was locked in a playarea and the lights turned out on my 3rd birthday, I don't remember it but even seeing a lone ball is like nails down a blackboard 😳 I don't think anyone should be forced to wear a mask if there's a genuine reason not to, I'm sure you'd be able to get a mask exemption card :)

I'm looking forward to having online shopping delivered again like many people are looking forward to holidays.
You are not alone in your fear @Falken I used to work with someone who was terrified of them, couldn't even stand seeing a picture.

:) I was forced to watch 'IT' at a young age, and I was invited to a birthday party in nursery I think, they had a clown, I did the natural thing and kicked him in the shins and ran off - I know it's silly, but I still can't stand them. When I started listening to true crime podcasts, when I started running, I don't think it's such a bad thing, after Gacey XD.

I'm looking forward to having online shopping delivered again like many people are looking forward to holidays.
You are not alone in your fear @Falken I used to work with someone who was terrified of them, couldn't even stand seeing a picture.
I hate clowns too, also baby dolls, they freak me right out- I remember some random fake auntie woman buying my daughter 2 creepy baby dolls and I honestly couldnt be in the same room as them! And I am also looking forward to better access to online home shopping delivery slots, the only one I could get in a whole fortnight was 11pm tonight, so I'm pulling what for me is practically an all-nighter waiting up for Ocado salads and veggie burgers :)

:) To add, I'd like to mention my mother's personal phobia - garden gnomes, I had a cousin that found out about this and she left a note cut up from newspapers (there is a reason I've not seen her since 2012) and a garden gnome purched on the doorstep. I was tasked with disposing of it, which I did with great gusto against a garden wall. My aunt had been very proactive and had got me a fingerprinting kit, so I dusted the crazy cut out newspaper letter and pretended the police were involved, which had the desired effect. My family is of course crazy, which probably explains my anxiety XD.

:) To add, I'd like to mention my mother's personal phobia - garden gnomes, I had a cousin that found out about this and she left a note cut up from newspapers (there is a reason I've not seen her since 2012) and a garden gnome purched on the doorstep. I was tasked with disposing of it, which I did with great gusto against a garden wall. My aunt had been very proactive and had got me a fingerprinting kit, so I dusted the crazy cut out newspaper letter and pretended the police were involved, which had the desired effect. My family is of course crazy, which probably explains my anxiety XD.

:) As I'm already oversharing, and we're all for animal rights here -

The same cousin became obsessed with buying an Afircan Grey Parrot, this parrot was kept as a sort of temporary entertainment, and consigned to a far too small cage, they do of course, cost a fortune. They're apparently the most intelligent of parrots, but the only word he ever learnt was the name of her husband (there's a sucker for every role, I suppose), it goes without saying that she was a human sealion, and has now graduated to human walrus, I'm not sure of an extant species of semi-aquatic mammal that she will be next (I was genuinely worried that she'd starve to death when McD's closed). Eventually said parrot turns up dead, the vets opinion, of this most intelligent of parrots, was that it committed suicide, which given the intellectual prowess of my cousin, I'm not surprised it reached a nihilist conclusion.

Thank you @Lily & Rose
I watched someone at work the other day try and take a bite out of her sandwich without taking her mask off. You do get used to them and she’d forgotten she had it on. We have had no choice and 12.5 hour shifts in them since March so we are very used to them but it did take a while. At the start my ears were raw and my face felt irritated when i wasn’t wearing it but now it’s largely fine. If it’s not on quite right my glasses steam up but there’s a knack to that. So you’re right to try and build it up slowly.

I was just wondering, with the global pandemic, the thousands of deaths, the impending financial catastrophe etc, if any of his supporters could please explain this:

trump-beans.jpg

P.s - This one is for James.

Well...there was a protest in Hyde Park today against wearing masks. I've seen photos of the protest in an online newspaper and one was wearing a "No to 5G, No to Vaccination" vest. 🙄😑

What you read about Bristol in the press is very far from the truth for us mere mortals who can't afford the trendy lifestyle or are too old for the night life! As in all things the image that is pushed by those in power is often a tiny fraction of the truth.

What you read about Bristol in the press is very far from the truth for us mere mortals who can't afford the trendy lifestyle or are too old for the night life! As in all things the image that is pushed by those in power is often a tiny fraction of the truth.

I suppose it's very similar to London in a way, tremendous wealth surrounded by everyone just struggling to make their way.

Back