• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Kale

MilliePigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My boys are quite partial to a bit of kale now and then but I was wondering if it’s high in calcium? I’m not too sure and I don’t want them to have kidney problems or anything. How often do you feed kale to your piggies?

My boys are quite partial to a bit of kale now and then but I was wondering if it’s high in calcium? I’m not too sure and I don’t want them to have kidney problems or anything. How often do you feed kale to your piggies?

It’s high in calcium so mine get maybe a little every couple of months.

Tom and Mini had it for the first time tonight (First time whilst they've lived here) and they thought it was wonderful, to say they hoovered it up would be an understatement!

The first time I gave Comet and Blitzen kale, Blitzen sniffed at it then gave me the dirtiest of looks - "What is the filth ARE YOU TRYING TO POISON ME"]

Comet ran past it, paused, ran back, sniffed it, and then promptly inhaled the whole lot in a few seconds. He did an actual double take, it was so funny to watch.

They shouldn't really have kale frequently, but it's no problem as an occasional treat for normal piggies.

I buy a bag every couple of months or so and give my herd of five a handful a night until its all gone. With 5 of them inhaling it I reckon they don't get much each. They love spring greens too and chin off over it if they can't grab it and scarper to a quiet corner to have a scoff.

when i was a new guinea pig owner i fed it alot like nearly everday because i was clueless and my pig sky lived to 7 and no stones. Now i only feed it twice a week. Because its high in calcium and phosphorus . I think its part of the cabbage family lol

I feed it to ours once a week or so, it has a good calcium to phosphorus ratio so it's not really the calcium that is the problem, more the oxalates which causes calcium to bind together creating sludge.
Ours prefer the purple variety but will inhale the green just as fast if given the opportunity XD

I feed mine green kale once a day in the morning with other food, then the next week its spring greens.
They absolutely love this stuff but now I'm not so sure.

I'm under the impression it can be feed frequently?
So am I correct in thinking from above comments it shouldn't be feed daily?

I feed mine green kale once a day in the morning with other food, then the next week its spring greens.
They absolutely love this stuff but now I'm not so sure.

I'm under the impression it can be feed frequently?
So am I correct in thinking from above comments it shouldn't be feed daily?
To be on the safe side i wouldnt feed daily. I think people go over the top with all this calcium talk. One thing i make sure i definitly do i filter my tap water with a brita filter. That really helps avoid stones. Spinach is one to watch out for more

Thanks for the reply, from now on I'll make sure to feed in moderation.
Just out of curiosity is there any food that can be fed daily, for example, peppers.
I'll also try to filter the water as where I live it can be hard.

Thanks for the reply, from now on I'll make sure to feed in moderation.
Just out of curiosity is there any food that can be fed daily, for example, peppers.
I'll also try to filter the water as where I live it can be hard.
I feed red pepper daily which is the highest for vit c of bell peppers. But green are good and are supposed to be less high in sugars. Cucumber is good. Apparently carrot isnt an everday food . I give mixed leaf lettuce everyday just not iceberg it can give your pig the runs

My piggies eat cucumber every day and coriander and red peppers about 4 days a week. I dont buy kale because I dont like it myself but about once every 3 or 4 weeks we have a bit of a spinach binge... definitely not every day or every week though. Carrots and apple and watermelon are small bits once or twice a week. I tend to alternate coriander/parsley/lettuce with occasional watercress and rocket for greens and usually we go for coriander for preference because we eat lots of it too!

My piggies eat cucumber every day and coriander and red peppers about 4 days a week. I dont buy kale because I dont like it myself but about once every 3 or 4 weeks we have a bit of a spinach binge... definitely not every day or every week though. Carrots and apple and watermelon are small bits once or twice a week. I tend to alternate coriander/parsley/lettuce with occasional watercress and rocket for greens and usually we go for coriander for preference because we eat lots of it too!
I actually have a gpig bernie who doesnt like any lettuce so far

I buy a bag every couple of months or so and give my herd of five a handful a night until its all gone. With 5 of them inhaling it I reckon they don't get much each. They love spring greens too and chin off over it if they can't grab it and scarper to a quiet corner to have a scoff.

I have been feeding, round lettuce, bell peppers, cucumber, small piece of carro daily, and mini tomato and 4/5 pieces of coriander 2 x week. on a recent visit to my vet for treatment for mites, she said I should not feed lettuce but spring greens instead. I’m afraid the boys might get bloat with spring greens? Any advice appreciated, my boys are a year old. Thanks 😊

The only lettuce piggies can't have is Iceberg. Mine love spring greens I give them a couple of leaves every night between the five of them. None of them have ever had bloat.

The only lettuce piggies can't have is Iceberg. Mine love spring greens I give them a couple of leaves every night between the five of them. None of them have ever had bloat.
I remember when i had rabbits when i was about 8 years old.(I'm now 31) lol. My neighbour across the road would bring iceberg lettuce over everyday, and i would pretend to her that my rabbits loved it, then i chucked it in the bin haha

Back