• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Leg

Shaivy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey ,
I am very concerned as my guinea is lying since this evening , he is having some trouble walking and he's not preferring to use his right leg , he's keeping it away from the ground and walking improperly , he's eating but he doesn't prefer to move for it , it his front leg . I am concerned what could be the problem?
He was fine until I gave him lunch , then he slept and since then he's like this :(

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180619-205316.png
    Screenshot_20180619-205316.png
    451.1 KB · Views: 3
Has he possibly fallen off a part of the cage/had something fall on top of him? What about got his paw stuck in some wire fencing?
If it is not simply a hurt paw, it may be a number of health complications, including artheritis, etc.
A sprained wrist/dislocated shoulder is also a possible diagnosis.
As you can see, there is a myriad of possibilities to why your guinea pig is limping. It may heal by itself, yet it may not be so simple.I would definitely advise a trip to the vet!

He fell day off his cage 2 days back but he was fine at that time though I was concerned then also , he didn't show any unusual behaviour then was eating , jumping and playing like normal

Please take your piggie to the vet, only a vet can diagnose what’s wrong.
Guineas pigs can go down hill very quickly, better to be safe and visit the vet.
I hope he is ok.

Till then what can I do to make sure he's okay ? Because I can't take him until tomorrow

Hey ,
I am very concerned as my guinea is lying since this evening , he is having some trouble walking and he's not preferring to use his right leg , he's keeping it away from the ground and walking improperly , he's eating but he doesn't prefer to move for it , it his front leg . I am concerned what could be the problem?
He was fine until I gave him lunch , then he slept and since then he's like this :(

Hi! He has most likely sprained his leg badly; this can happen in any joint from the shoulder downward into the foot. The front legs are the weight bearing ones, so the limping is always more obvious than in the hind legs and mobility is more restricted. A sprain usually happens from a bad landing after jump.
Please see a vet. It may profit from an anti-inflammatory/painkiller like metacam. A mild sprain lasts a few days, a more serious serious sprain can be noticeable for a few weeks.
It can also be an injury to the foot or leg from a fall or getting stuck, but that requires a hands-on examination.

If he is completely unable to put any weight on his leg (as opposed to favouring it as much as possible but still able to get around), then you need to see a vet asap as it is likely a break.

He's not completely unable , he will move itvery less , but he doesn't prefers to move it very very less :(

He's not moving and he's just lying in his cage and eating what's near him
Will be okay till I take him to the vet in the morning?

It's the that he's hiding
He's sitting hiding the hurt leg

Attachments

• IMG_20180619_232219907.jpg
    IMG_20180619_232219907.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20180619_232224488.jpg
    IMG_20180619_232224488.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20180619_232216523.jpg
    IMG_20180619_232216523.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1
@Shaivy Going to the vet today would be preferable as he's likely to be in pain.

But if you can't take him, try to keep him comfortable and keep all of his food, hay and water close to him so he can still eat.

It would be worth offering him food by hand too, just to be certain he's still eating.

Back