• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Little Update On Beans And Toasty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beans&Toast

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I haven't been on here as much as I would like to lately, I'm traveling a lot with work as well as looking after my Mum, and Beans and Toast who are both seriously hard work! (And the reason I have to work so much to afford their vet bills :doh:)

Toast has just had her 6th dental op since last year. Her molars keep over growing by about 2-3 mm and although that's not much, she seems to be very sensitive to even the smallest spurs and slight overgrowth. Last month my vet and I did discuss having her PTS as she wasn't recovering from GA, wasn't eating and just wasn't herself at all and it didn't seem fair to keep putting her through this. But like the tough little pig she is, she came around and bounced back.

Unfortunately she is also still on and off bloating for unknown reasons. This causes her discomfort sometimes which makes her go off her food, which in turn causes her teeth to overgrow. It's a vicious circle but despite it all she is still as lively as ever, zooming about and popcorning for veg even when she's not quite herself.

And then we have Beans. Beans is getting on quite a bit now. She's between 5-6 years and over the past 6 months I've seen a slow decline in her activity levels, and over the past 5 weeks or so she's been sleeping a lot. She sleeps most of the day now and although she still has a run around and comes for veg, she spends most of the day napping. The arthritis in her back legs and hips is progressing so her pain meds have been upped. Her sight and hearing are also deteriorating and she seems to be relying mostly on her sense of smell. Again, despite all of this she is still such a happy pig, wandering around the house on her adventures (when she's not napping) and enjoys chasing her sister around the cage :drool:
I am amazed by both of them every day, I can't believe how well they are both doing, all things considered. They are determined little things!

I can't express how much of a help this forum has been since I joined, some of the advice I've received has literally been life saving on one or two occasions, so thank you all!
20170526_104913.jpg 20170529_170800(0).jpg

:love:

Thanks so much for the update and pigtures :luv: I have been thinking about your lovely little toasty and was only wondering how she was yesterday. It's great to hear that she is still zooming around. Sorry to hear about the bloating :( I hope you can get to the bottom of what maybe causing it x

We all slow down & creaky at some point in our life. All the while she's happy I'd hang on to her. Although you have a heck of responsibility on your shoulders with everything going on.
Try & keep in touch though, it's nice to know how things are going & how you are & your piggy family.
Take care hugs

Sounds like a right roller coaster! Yet I'm so glad they are both still zooming about etc. Poor little Toast- I hope the mysterious bloating stops soon for the little one.

Thanks everyone. I honestly can't express my appreciation enough for this forum, everyone is always so supportive!

Reactions: Tim
Two of my forum fav's :love: They are doing so well because of the love and care of their mum.

I am glad the forum had helped and glad you are on the forum. The forum is cyclical we ask for help and receive it and in turn we learn and can hopefully help others. It is the members who make it what it is x

Ommmm such sweet ol' ladies :love: Is it weird that I'm a fan of elderly piggies? XD I had a thought about Toasty's recurring bloat - we had a Sanctuary piggy who was the same named Tina!
In the end, we removed all grain from her diet and it never happened again! Maybe it'd be worth a try for him? She had the Rosewood Meadow Menus grain free nuggets. Xx

Such a lovely update to read.
Thank you for taking the time to post it.

And please tell both Beans and Toast that their Swiss fan club is thinking of them :hug:

I haven't been on here as much as I would like to lately, I'm traveling a lot with work as well as looking after my Mum, and Beans and Toast who are both seriously hard work! (And the reason I have to work so much to afford their vet bills :doh:)

Toast has just had her 6th dental op since last year. Her molars keep over growing by about 2-3 mm and although that's not much, she seems to be very sensitive to even the smallest spurs and slight overgrowth. Last month my vet and I did discuss having her PTS as she wasn't recovering from GA, wasn't eating and just wasn't herself at all and it didn't seem fair to keep putting her through this. But like the tough little pig she is, she came around and bounced back.

Unfortunately she is also still on and off bloating for unknown reasons. This causes her discomfort sometimes which makes her go off her food, which in turn causes her teeth to overgrow. It's a vicious circle but despite it all she is still as lively as ever, zooming about and popcorning for veg even when she's not quite herself.

And then we have Beans. Beans is getting on quite a bit now. She's between 5-6 years and over the past 6 months I've seen a slow decline in her activity levels, and over the past 5 weeks or so she's been sleeping a lot. She sleeps most of the day now and although she still has a run around and comes for veg, she spends most of the day napping. The arthritis in her back legs and hips is progressing so her pain meds have been upped. Her sight and hearing are also deteriorating and she seems to be relying mostly on her sense of smell. Again, despite all of this she is still such a happy pig, wandering around the house on her adventures (when she's not napping) and enjoys chasing her sister around the cage :drool:
I am amazed by both of them every day, I can't believe how well they are both doing, all things considered. They are determined little things!

I can't express how much of a help this forum has been since I joined, some of the advice I've received has literally been life saving on one or two occasions, so thank you all!
View attachment 64258 View attachment 64259

:love:
Omg! Beans and Toast! Hahaha my username and piggies are Beans and Toast

Awww Beans and Toast are so cute. Glad to hear from you and keep on keeping on, Beans and Toast! <3

So lovely to hear rom you @Beans&Toast and thank you for sharing photos of your beautiful ladies. They are firm favourites of mine on this forum - never tire of seeing and hearing about them.

My own Violet is now at least 6 1/2 years old. She's old, frail but still bloody minded about what she will or won't do. She temporarily lost her position in the hierarchy but since her meds increased she's feeling as feisty as ever and has regained top spot again. It's so hard watching them age in front of your eyes, but keep on doing what you're doing as your girls still look happy and lovely xx

So lovely to hear rom you @Beans&Toast and thank you for sharing photos of your beautiful ladies. They are firm favourites of mine on this forum - never tire of seeing and hearing about them.

My own Violet is now at least 6 1/2 years old. She's old, frail but still bloody minded about what she will or won't do. She temporarily lost her position in the hierarchy but since her meds increased she's feeling as feisty as ever and has regained top spot again. It's so hard watching them age in front of your eyes, but keep on doing what you're doing as your girls still look happy and lovely xx
Violet sounds like Beans, she has quite an attitude on her and does what she wants :P

Aw nice to hear how the girls are doing! Sounds like a hard time with Toast's health issues, though. Beautiful pictures! That hay pile looks like great fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back