Loft/Kitchen ideas + wall height

Navi4321

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm in the process of building a 1x2 loft, primarily to be used for eating and to keep hay off of the rest of the fleece. I was thinking of putting in a shallow tray, with newspaper, back 2 nature litter, and hay on top, to be changed daily. Does this sound ok? I would put a hay rack but I've heard horror stories of injuries.

Also, the side grids don't come up very high, so I'll have to make the correx edges taller. However, I have seen a few pictures of lofts where the walls are quite low. How likely are they to climb out given that they're scared of heights?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Yes the bedding ideas in the tray etc all sound absolutely fine. You don’t have to use hayracks If you don’t want to, but to be honest, most piggies love nothing more than being in a pile of hay anyway!

I have taken my loft out, but I always made them one grid high. Personally I wouldn’t think anything less than one grid (approx 30cm) would be safe. CLimbing out should be considered a possibility purely for prevention. I actually have my grids two high all around the cage anyway as one of mine likes to climb on top of houses.

Last edited: