• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lonely Guineapig

Zara M

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My Guineapig is about 9 now and she has been surrounded by friends (guineapig friends) her entire life. She has outlived so many piggies but now unfortunately her last friend Pumpkin has passed away. We know she is probably on her last weeks or so because she has gotten a lot slower and much skinnier (we feed her regularly and she still eats). The problem is my mum works all day and I have to go to school, so she spends long periods of time alone not having much to do. We can't get another guineapig because I will most likely be moving out in a year or so and it will automatically become my mum's responsibility which she won't like. My mum wants her to stay and live in an area she knows and is comfortable in but I'd rather she have more company and be happy in her last days. I really don't know what to do and I was wondering if anyone has advice or experience with this kind of situation? She is such a lovely girl and I really want the best for her so please any help is welcomed.

@Zara M As you've had her for so long rehoming her would be a really difficult choice to make.

Ideally she should have a friend but I completely understand your situation and wanting to break the cycle of owning guinwa pigs.

I'm the same. I have a 5 year old boar who has recently lost his cagemate. I'm looking to have a break from owning guinea pigs so don't want to get him a new friend.

However he is very lonely and alot less active. So he lives next door to a pair of foster boys that I have. They are foster pigs from a local rescue. He can interact with them through the cage bars and he's much happier.

Could that be an option for you?

One option is to ‘foster’ a friend for her for a rescue. Then, when she passes away you pass the foster piggy back to the rescue. It’s been mentioned on here a few times so maybe do a search and see.

Hopefully she has a good while left in her yet 🙂

My Guineapig is about 9 now and she has been surrounded by friends (guineapig friends) her entire life. She has outlived so many piggies but now unfortunately her last friend Pumpkin has passed away. We know she is probably on her last weeks or so because she has gotten a lot slower and much skinnier (we feed her regularly and she still eats). The problem is my mum works all day and I have to go to school, so she spends long periods of time alone not having much to do. We can't get another guineapig because I will most likely be moving out in a year or so and it will automatically become my mum's responsibility which she won't like. My mum wants her to stay and live in an area she knows and is comfortable in but I'd rather she have more company and be happy in her last days. I really don't know what to do and I was wondering if anyone has advice or experience with this kind of situation? She is such a lovely girl and I really want the best for her so please any help is welcomed.

Hi!

Do you have a rescue within your reach that will allow you to foster a companion for your old lady for as long as she has left to live before it returns to the rescue?
9 years is a great age that only very few guinea pigs reach, but as you are feeling quite rightly, the need for companionship never stops. A new friend can really provide a renewed zest for life for a few months more.

It is always hard when you come to the last standing piggy of a bunch and do not want to continue. We all face that problem sooner or later, and rescues are becoming more aware of the need for temporary solutions. Alternatively, especially smaller and privately run rescue often have an elderlies group for bereft older piggies whose often caring owners are in the same quandary as you.

Recommended and vetted good standard UK rescues: Recommended Guinea Pig Rescues
Recommended rescues in several other countries: Guinea Lynx :: Rescue Organizations

Since you have not added your country, we can unfortunately not help you any more since we have members and enquiries from all over the world.

Back