• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

lost hamster under floor :(

shaysbeautifulboys

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi i know this isn’t guinea pig related but i am so stressed as my hamster is under the floorboards :( i can hear her chewing at the wood and i’m so worried she won’t be able to find a way out! any suggestions for what i should do, this isn’t the first time she’s done this and she was only under my bedroom floor but this time she’s on the second floor which is huge! ahhhh why have i allowed this to happen again :(

Can you leave an open cage on the floor with some food in it. We had one who escaped once when the cage hadn't been shut properly and managed to get behind a fitted gas fire and into the fire place behind. He eventually came out and got back into the cage where we found him curled up in a nest asleep.

Can you leave an open cage on the floor with some food in it. We had one who escaped once when the cage hadn't been shut properly and managed to get behind a fitted gas fire and into the fire place behind. He eventually came out and got back into the cage where we found him curled up in a nest asleep.
And they are here! Yay! Thanks for helping out piggie minder!

it’s been around 2 hours and i can still hear her chewing, iv kept the floorboards up in case she comes out, i’ll let you know if she appears !

Have you tried putting out a trail of food from the open floor boards right up to the cage? Something good and smelly (to a hamster). My antisocial rescue Robo hamster loved dried mealworms. It was the only way I could get him out of his cage so I could clean it.

Years ago my hamster freeranged in my bedroom and also disappeared through a gap in the floorboards.

My Husband ended up taking up several floorboards before he could get to her!

Have you tried putting out a trail of food from the open floor boards right up to the cage? Something good and smelly (to a hamster). My antisocial rescue Robo hamster loved dried mealworms. It was the only way I could get him out of his cage so I could clean it.
I fell asleep at 4 am looking for her and she’s probably asleep now but when i get back from college i’ll leave more floorboards open with food and water! i really hope i find her !

Years ago my hamster freeranged in my bedroom and also disappeared through a gap in the floorboards.

My Husband ended up taking up several floorboards before he could get to her!
Awww i’m so happy u found her :) mine is probably asleep somewhere in the house so i’ll have to wait until she wakes up ahhh this is so stressful !

Google 'bucket trap for hamster'

This is the most effective way to catch an escaped hamster and because it is available 24/7 you have a better chance of them being lured into it.
The problem with using their cage is that they can just escape again once they eaten their treat.

How to catch an escaped hamster

Also try a smelly food like cheese or peanut butter which can help draw them out.

I don't know if this was specific to my hamster (syrian make) or if other hamsters are similarly curious, but my hamster could not resist investigating kind of quiet scratching noises.
We would get him out of his nest by kind of rustling his bedding somewhere else in his cage
One time he escaped and I started blocking all the exits to the room with some wooden shelving boards, and he came running up to me to investigate what the small scraping noises were as I was positioning the boards.
Also, my hamster was a sucker for sunflower seeds. Maybe a trail of sunflower seeds from the exit to his cage or bucket trap?
The other thing that would reliably draw out my hamster was egg yolk. I'd microwave up an egg, take a bit of the yolk and blow on it (to cool it down) towards his nest entrance. In under a minute he would come out all sleepy like to munch on egg yolk.
Good luck! I hope you find your hammie!

Awww i’m so happy u found her :) mine is probably asleep somewhere in the house so i’ll have to wait until she wakes up ahhh this is so stressful !

I used to leave her cage open all the time so she could come and go as she pleased! In the end we did away with the cage as she took all the bedding out and put it under a chest of drawers where she then slept!

Hi guys thanks you so much for the comments! i still have not found her but she has woken up and is now scratching the wood somewhere... i have lifted more floorboards as well as putting food in any holes in the carpet i can find. i would try the bucket trap however it seems she is trapped and can’t find a way out :( i believe she went to the bathroom as there is a step outside the bathroom she jumps off but can’t get back up, so i believe she managed to go through the hole near the pipes and walked her way through. i saw that the pipe leads to under the bath and god knows where she is now. i’m confused now as to how she got to the floorboards if the pipes lead to the bath (she isn’t in the pipes). i will put some peanut butter there and more smelly foods. again, thank you so much for your help and i will keep u updated !

Oh dear. I hope you can manage to locate her and tempt her out again.

Hope you find her.
Many years ago mine found a hole and disappeared down the floorboards.
The following day my husband and father had to lift the floorboards to retrieve hamster who was none the worse for his adventure.
It was a worrying night though.

Hope you find her.
Many years ago mine found a hole and disappeared down the floorboards.
The following day my husband and father had to lift the floorboards to retrieve hamster who was none the worse for his adventure.
It was a worrying night though.
i have lifted a floor board, i may have to lift up even more. i remember last time she went under the floorboards back in april and she came out by herself she was standing there just staring at me as if she was shocked she had made it out😂 i hope she comes out !

Back