• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Lost Our 1st Piggie!

MrsJohnstone

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello All! I'm new to this site. I'm a piggy mommy by way of my daughter. We had 3 up until this past Friday. About 08-03-20 our Pumpkin (my profile pic) was diagnosed with Pneumonia. We took him to the vet and he received care and sent home with meds. He seemed to improve, then had some digestive/tummy issues. Back to the vet he went and stayed almost 2 days and sent home with meds after he started to poop which he had not done. We noticed some respiratory issues with eyes and nose so we made an appt last week. We took him in Wednesday and the Dr only spent about 15 minutes with him saying he wasn't too worried. We could tell on Thursday night he was struggling so we made an appt to take him back Friday morning but he didn't make it.

We are sad! As a family it's our first lost of any pet. We have 2 more piggies, 2 cats, a hedgehog and a dog, but we lost a family member. He was special. Our baby piggie was housed with Pumpkin until he got sick then we separated them. Jasper was missing him. I would like to know, if anyone adopted another piggie after a loss? We were so sad, we vowed not to adopt any other small pets. We absolutely love our piggies waking us up with their wheeeeking, but to lose them is so heartbreaking. Any advice?

Hello All! I'm new to this site. I'm a piggy mommy by way of my daughter. We had 3 up until this past Friday. About 08-03-20 our Pumpkin (my profile pic) was diagnosed with Pneumonia. We took him to the vet and he received care and sent home with meds. He seemed to improve, then had some digestive/tummy issues. Back to the vet he went and stayed almost 2 days and sent home with meds after he started to poop which he had not done. We noticed some respiratory issues with eyes and nose so we made an appt last week. We took him in Wednesday and the Dr only spent about 15 minutes with him saying he wasn't too worried. We could tell on Thursday night he was struggling so we made an appt to take him back Friday morning but he didn't make it.

We are sad! As a family it's our first lost of any pet. We have 2 more piggies, 2 cats, a hedgehog and a dog, but we lost a family member. He was special. Our baby piggie was housed with Pumpkin until he got sick then we separated them. Jasper was missing him. I would like to know, if anyone adopted another piggie after a loss? We were so sad, we vowed not to adopt any other small pets. We absolutely love our piggies waking us up with their wheeeeking, but to lose them is so heartbreaking. Any advice?
I’m so sorry for your loss, I have never lost a piggie so I can’t imagine how hard it must be :(. Please take your time to grieve over your precious and beautiful boy, and let your remaining piggies do the same. RIP Pumpkin❤️🌈

So sorry for your loss.
Please feel free to leave a tribute to Pumpkin on the Rainbow Bridge thread when you feel ready.
Be gentle with yourself as you grieve
Welcome to the forum.

To answer your question I have had new piggies following a loss but you need to consider the piggies you still have.
In my case I lost one of 3 sows. Of the pair left one was 3 years older than the other.
I took in another pair of sows whose owner couldn’t take them when moving.
My hope was to bond the 2 pairs but Plan B would give me 2 separate pairs.

If yours are a stable pair then think through what it might mean to add another piggy in.
With guinea pigs, like humans, it’s character compatibility that matters.
I’m sure other members can also share their experience

So sorry for your loss.
Please feel free to leave a tribute to Pumpkin on the Rainbow Bridge thread when you feel ready.
Be gentle with yourself as you grieve
Welcome to the forum.

To answer your question I have had new piggies following a loss but you need to consider the piggies you still have.
In my case I lost one of 3 sows. Of the pair left one was 3 years older than the other.
I took in another pair of sows whose owner couldn’t take them when moving.
My hope was to bond the 2 pairs but Plan B would give me 2 separate pairs.

If yours are a stable pair then think through what it might mean to add another piggy in.
With guinea pigs, like humans, it’s character compatibility that matters.
I’m sure other members can also share their experience
Thank you, you make perfect sense.

Back