• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lost weight on period

Paetwood

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My guinea pig Panic is in heat I’m pretty sure. And she has lost a scary amount of wieght in a day or 2 (I’m pretty sure just one day). You can feel her hip bones, and when I hold her her stomach caved in. She was nice a chunky a day or 2 ago and the only thing I can think of is she’s in heat (she has some solid brown discharge). She takes only a nibble or two at her food and I uninterested in water. Is this normal behavior when in heat? Will she chunk back up tmrw or the next day?

I completely agree with the above, she needs to see an emergency vet.

Please see a vet as an emergency. She doesn’t sound well at all :( brown discharge and severe weight loss is not normal.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on

My guinea pig Panic is in heat I’m pretty sure. And she has lost a scary amount of wieght in a day or 2 (I’m pretty sure just one day). You can feel her hip bones, and when I hold her her stomach caved in. She was nice a chunky a day or 2 ago and the only thing I can think of is she’s in heat (she has some solid brown discharge). She takes only a nibble or two at her food and I uninterested in water. Is this normal behavior when in heat? Will she chunk back up tmrw or the next day?

Hi!

Please have her vet checked as an emergency today. This is not normal at all; there is something serious wrong with the reproductive tract. It may be that a large ovarian cyst has burst.

Please step in with syringe feeding support now. here is our detailed emergency care advice: Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

My Rainbow Piggy Velvet had a brown discharge and I took her to the vet the same day I discovered it and she had a UTI starting but I was worried as it could have been anything. I gently wiped away the discharge with a cotton bud and took it to show the vet. She looked at it under the microscope and said that it had some nasty cells in it and immediately put her on a course of baytril.

Velvet Discharge.JPG

Last edited:
My Rainbow Piggy Velvet had a brown discharge and I took her to the vet the same day I discovered it and she had a URI starting but I was worried as it could have been anything. I gently wiped away the discharge with a cotton bud and took it to show the vet. She looked at it under the microscope and said that it had some nasty cells in it and immediately put her on a course of baytril.

View attachment 122219
Do you mean uti, or not,. Just checking 😁

I’m getting her in tomorrow to the emegency vet. That’s apparently the fastest they can do :hb:

I am absolutely ,just, destroyed, to have to say that my beloved Panic has to be put down. The vet said she wasn’t getting enough calories (I gave them fresh hay every night, they said that they really don’t know what caused it) so her systems started shutting down. Her heartbeat was sparatic and her temperature was severely below normal. I can’t express how absolutely broken I feel over the loss of my baby.

I’m so very sorry for your loss. Please be gentle with yourself.

I am so very sorry to hear this @Paetwood . It sounds like it was such a shock. It's not surprising you feel totally devastated; it is news that no one wants to hear and sounds like it was very unexpected. It will take time to come to terms with the loss of Panic; I hope you can be compassionate with yourself while you do so. 💔

The forum has good information on bereavement (link below) and some people find it comforting / helpful to post a tribute in the Rainbow Bridge section.
Human Bereavement - Grieving, coping tips and support links for guinea pig owners and their children

May Panic rest in peace 🌈

Back