• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lump under guinea pig’s nipple.

EllieHawkins

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I’d been noticing a strange brown liquid coming from Peppa. At this point I hadn’t been sure where it was coming from as there wasn’t anything there that I could tell from. It had only happened twice until tonight it happened again and I decided to look at the source. It was coming from her nipple. I decided to check it out and see what was going on and she’d developed quite a large squishy lump under her left nipple which somehow I’d missed. Does anyone know anything about this? Reading it up brought up tumour alarm bells and I’d hate that to be the case. I am booking her into the vet ASAP to get it checked out. It’s very round and squishy and moves about, and she shows no discomfort when you check it out. She’s healthy overall, still eating and still her usual sassy self!

Attachments

• 1E4CE28B-92B8-4EA3-915A-F274112CBF5F.jpeg
    1E4CE28B-92B8-4EA3-915A-F274112CBF5F.jpeg
    65.3 KB · Views: 6
I’d been noticing a strange brown liquid coming from Peppa. At this point I hadn’t been sure where it was coming from as there wasn’t anything there that I could tell from. It had only happened twice until tonight it happened again and I decided to look at the source. It was coming from her nipple. I decided to check it out and see what was going on and she’d developed quite a large squishy lump under her left nipple which somehow I’d missed. Does anyone know anything about this? Reading it up brought up tumour alarm bells and I’d hate that to be the case. I am booking her into the vet ASAP to get it checked out. It’s very round and squishy and moves about, and she shows no discomfort when you check it out. She’s healthy overall, still eating and still her usual sassy self!

Good that you have it seen before it causes real problems and can still be comparatively easily removed.

Update: I’m now looking for a vet in my area with guinea pig experience. The vet I saw said it may be cancerous but needs to look “in a book”. He will ring me back by Monday but if not he will have “forgotten” which I thought was a shocking thing to say when I love my pigs dearly and he didn’t seem bothered. I was upset he’d thrown cancer straight at me when he didn’t actually know. Peppa is still doing fine and is still full of life and not losing any weight.

Update: I’m now looking for a vet in my area with guinea pig experience. The vet I saw said it may be cancerous but needs to look “in a book”. He will ring me back by Monday but if not he will have “forgotten” which I thought was a shocking thing to say when I love my pigs dearly and he didn’t seem bothered. I was upset he’d thrown cancer straight at me when he didn’t actually know. Peppa is still doing fine and is still full of life and not losing any weight.
That sounds like my local vets.I went to see them when ‘mummy pig’ stopped eating and straight away he said she had cancer and I should put her down.I was so upset but went to see a very experienced vet who never mentioned cancer and just said she was dehydrated etc.Have you looked on the vet locator to look for a cavy savvy vet?

I haven’t used it before but I will have a look! Haven’t had to use the vets for my pigs got a very long time, they’ve been in excellent health until now. Thanks!

Update: After complaining about previous vet a higher up vet has been in contact with us and has been helpful. An operation was planned for surgery to remove the big lump. However news got bad. I found a second small lump under her other nipple, after feeling it, the vet feels it may be an aggressive tumour that has spread. We are waiting a week to see if the lump grows (I personally feel it’s growing). I’m overwhelmed with emotions as peppa has been my best friend for a long time and I can’t think about her leaving me. Will be updating after her next app to see what the other lump is doing.

Back