• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

PiggieNPooh

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hello :) i recently got 2 male piggies (2yrs old, from same litter) and i am wishing to get more . there’s quite a few in the nearest shelter to me . i can either add one male (1yrs old, piggie friend died) OR i can add from a selection of pairs already together . i’ve heard having 3 males usually ends up badly, but can you usually merge 2 pairs successfully ?

Boars are best in pairs. I have never heard of anyone bonding two pairs of boars and doubt very much it would work. I would stick with a pair - if you try to bond two pairs and fail, you could end up breaking the bonds of all of them and having to house them all separately.
Someone else may have other experience though.

Boars are best in pairs. I have never heard of anyone bonding two pairs of boars and doubt very much it would work. I would stick with a pair - if you try to bond two pairs and fail, you could end up breaking the bonds of all of them and having to house them all separately.
Someone else may have other experience though.
Strongly agree with this. Cant add any more

Welcome to the forum
I agree - although I have sows I’ve seen enough on the forum to know that boars are best in pairs or a single boar with sows.
You sound so caring wanting to give rescues a good home.
Hope we will see pictures soon

thanks for all the help ! i thought a quartet would work but now i think about it probably not oops ! i asked this professional guinea pig person on youtube and they said only even try to attempt adding a third if i have a spare hutch large enough for 2 (which i do), a back up plan for a partner for the new one and asses their personalities to see if they and the new piggie would work, if not i shouldn’t even bother . if i end up doing anything i’ll be sure to say on here :) thanks everyone

I really would do nothing to potentially upset the bond between your happily bonded boars. A boar trio or quartet will almost inevitably fail at some point. I would not risk it.

okay :) honestly there’s so many piggies in this shelter and i do have a spare hutch so i might just adopt them anyway and not try to bond them or anything, just have them separate

That sounds perfect. If you have a spare hutch then adopting a second pair is a wonderful thing to do for them. Pairs kept separately works very well. Looking forward to seeing photos.

thank you ! probably take some time with my piggies now before i do get them as i’ve only just got my first set of piggies literally this week lol ! thanks everyone on this chat who’s helped, didn’t expect to get so many responses so fast lol !

I think it's a great idea to get to know the pair of boars you have already before getting more. That way you can decide if you are prepared to put in the amount of time and money they can take up. Guinea pigs are wonderful animals and very adictive, I started out with 2 boars and have ended up with 6 in three pairs.

yeah i’m gonna take some time with my piggies now ! i knew them before i got them as they were my mums friends so they already pretty calm with me and tame , just getting to know them more :)

Glad the forum has been a help.
I know my piggies have a much better life because of all I learn here.
Looking forward to pictures

Back