• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Mammary lumps - experience?

Flozz

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi there,
My 4yo boar Thunder has 2 peasized lumps under his nipple, next to/attached to a larger softer lump.

They haven't grown significantly in the past 5 weeks but I don't know the status before that as my parents had him for a couple of months before Christmas while I moved.

The vet recommends having it removed as he is a good candidate for surgery - happy and healthy and a little chubby which apparently works in their favour to keep warm post-op :)

However, I don't know if I could live with myself if I put him through that and he didn't make it and it turned out it was benign.

My question is does anyone else have experience on this and if so, how fast is 'fast-growing', if it is malignant but not really spreading then is it even a problem? He's so content right now, loves cuddles and good-natured and happy and If he could go another year or two without risking surgery I would want that for him xx

Wheekallweek

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Our elderly sow Toffee has a lump under one nipple. It has grown slightly in the past couple of months but nothing drastic, and it doesn’t bother her at all.
She isn’t full of other lumps and bumps and because of her age the vet has advised just to leave it.
It’s hard deciding whether to put them under isn’t it! Has the vet discussed what they think it might be? It could be a lipoma or something other that isn’t malignant!
Good luck x

Eriathwen

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Could they not do a needle biopsy before deciding on surgery? Then you would know whether it was benign or not and make a decision from there.
My Shelly has 3 fatty lumps around one nipple and they've gone from pin head sized to the size of a large pea in about a year, but some can seem to appear/grow before your eyes!

Claire W

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I agree about having a fine neeedle biopsy and then make a decision from there. My Edward has several lumps, one is in his armpit so was suspicious. My vet did a fine needle biopsy of two of the lumps which came back as fatty so we’ve left them well alone

Elthysia

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
There is no yes or no answer as to whether have surgery - biopsy is the best idea.

However you asked if anyone has experience - my piggy had mammary lumps under both nipples which were slightly crusty but never bleeding. She was a bad candidate for surgery so in agreement with vet I let it be. She died of heart failure at the age of 6,5 exactly 2 years and 3 months after that particular vet trip/diagnosis. Point of note is that they didn’t grow during that time and never bled.

piggyme234

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My six year old Jemima had a lump under one nipple that I noticed was growing quite quickly so I just asked the vet to get rid of it. While she was under the anaesthetic he found that she was developing one on the other side too so he removed both. She is recovering nicely.

baleofhay

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi there. My sow Connie had one of these a few years ago when she was around 3. I was scared as I had just lost another to lymphoma. I have a very good vet who removed the whole tumour in one go. We were offered a biopsy but due to our distance to the vet, it was the better option for us. The margins around the lump were worryingly close to her skin but she came through perfectly and it never grew back. Good luck Thunder, you can do it!

Flozz

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thanks for all your support everyone! :)
The biopsy results have come back and all 3 lumps are fatty - even the hard one! So the vet said to leave them unless they start growing and getting in his way. I am ever so relieved!

Although NOW I've noticed his chuntering noises have been a little hoarse for the last couple of days - he's eating and drinking and seems to be breathing ok so I'll just keep an eye on him - do their voices get hoarse with age? Am I just being paranoid about him now? :D

(vvv him with his bro Lightning vvv)

20190131_212154.jpg

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
Glad the lumps are just fatty.
The boys are both gorgeous.

I did have a piggy who lost her when - Merab tended to whisper loudly in later years, then every so often surprised herself with a proper wheek.