• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Member Gallery: C&C cages/homemade cages

flowerfairy

Forum Donator 2017/18
I cut some of the long side of the storage box away using a stanley knife. It took a while but got there in the end. I then sanded it down for ages and ages. They happily leap in and out.

They are rather wonderful aren't they. I have to visit them (in the dining room) multiple times a day to check on their cuteness levels. (Oh the hardship).

ErmiePiggos

Junior Guinea Pig
Hehe, they take over our lives and our homes.
Our hall and living room are full of piggys, cages and accessories until quarantine is over! :D (also spare/old cages and correx in the spare room)
I think I'm going to have to have my adopted two seperated for a bit once they have their operations, bless them. Good thing c and c cages are so easy to build and I have so many spares haha
I hope your piggys are okay :)

eileen

Forum Donator 2017/18
ive just started using green back vet bed on half of the 6x2 and using megasorb with finacard on topin the other half of cage and put hidies on the vet bed .hay piles on the disposable bedding and it seems to work a treat.4 piggies I'm not having to sweep so much poo!i put on disposable gloves to pick the poos from vet bed.

ButtercupClover

Junior Guinea Pig

ButtercupClover

Junior Guinea Pig
image.jpeg
Not exactly a home-made cage, but not really a commercial one either!

My piggies have two outdoor wooden runs (from someone who sells them on eBay) which are lined with Correx and fleece. The nearest cage is currently occupied by 3 girls and 2 babies. The far cage will be baby Marmalade's when he's big enough to leave his mum (and I'll fill it with hideys etc then). The longer term plan will be for Marmalade to be neutered, and then live with the 4 girls. At that point, I'll remove the dividing wall and have one big cage for them.

The front cage is 180x90cm, and the back one 150x90. All really easy to clean. I sweep every day and then put the fleece liners in the wash every 3-4 days. I don't even use anything under the fleece, as nothing ever seems to leak through!

RavenRed

Junior Guinea Pig
View attachment 59478
Not exactly a home-made cage, but not really a commercial one either!

My piggies have two outdoor wooden runs (from someone who sells them on eBay) which are lined with Correx and fleece. The nearest cage is currently occupied by 3 girls and 2 babies. The far cage will be baby Marmalade's when he's big enough to leave his mum (and I'll fill it with hideys etc then). The longer term plan will be for Marmalade to be neutered, and then live with the 4 girls. At that point, I'll remove the dividing wall and have one big cage for them.

The front cage is 180x90cm, and the back one 150x90. All really easy to clean. I sweep every day and then put the fleece liners in the wash every 3-4 days. I don't even use anything under the fleece, as nothing ever seems to leak through!
Looks fab, lots of space.
Do you find the piggies try to get under the fleece?
I have liners so they're a bit heavier than just fleece, but mine sometimes burrow underneath the short ones.

ButtercupClover

Junior Guinea Pig
Looks fab, lots of space.
Do you find the piggies try to get under the fleece?
I have liners so they're a bit heavier than just fleece, but mine sometimes burrow underneath the short ones.
No, they've not tried to get underneath, although the liners are quite heavy, so I'm not sure they'd have the strength to move them. They burrow underneath the fleece pigloo and tunnel all the time though! I've known there to be one piggy underneath the pigloo, one inside, and one sat on top!

Tiamolly123

Forum Donator 2017/18
Four Storey 5x2 C&C Cage

This is a 5x2 C&C cage with a wooden frame structure and hinged doors. There is more info on how the cage was built here.

The doors open to the left (3 panels) and right (2 panels)

Each of the top three floors will house 3 piggies; a neutered boar and two sows. The bottom floor will be for storage of their things.

It is newly built so haven't had the joy of cleaning it yet, but all of the correx trays are removable and the doors open fully so I expect it to be easy to clean.

The cubes were bought from eBay.
The wood/MDF/hardboard were bought from B&Q.
The hinges, brackets, screws, tacks, castor wheels were bought from Wilkinsons and B&Q.
The latches were from Wilkinsons.
The paint was from Protek.
The correx was from MDP Supplies.

I have written about all my cage variations on my blog; My Guinea Piggies: Housing

Tiamolly123

Forum Donator 2017/18
Hi this is brilliant, tell Paul he's done well
I wanted to build a 2 tier cage but I've always found the base cage gets really dark. How have you overcome this.

oxtinamona

Junior Guinea Pig
Hi all,

We have finally upgraded from standard C&C stacked up cages to something more sturdy and space saving, yet bigger ! I thought I'll share in case someone else want more space and struggles to build wooden habitats ( we rent so we need to be able to take cage down if need to move and this fits the bull). IMG_3792.JPG Love their new habitats. They're are 2.5X5 C&C grids each.

In near future we would like to build proper door to the front which will be with use of Perspex, but that's going to have to wait since it's expensive and the base of the cage wasn't cheap either ;)

clsmell

Junior Guinea Pig
This is my newest c&c cage. At the moment I have a neutered boar and a sow on the bottom in a 3 x 3 and a single boar at the top in a 1 x 3. I will be extending his cage soon to a 2 x 3 whilst I try and work out what to do with him. He will possibly be neutered soon and move in with my sister's sow Snow White as he doesn't seem to get on with any other boars. I am also worried about having him live with another boar so close to my sow.
I am loving having them off the floor and they seem to like it too. Since I took this photo I have changed on of the plastic grids next to my bed into a metal grid and they like to sit there next to me when I'm in bed. They have also been a lot more vocal since being off the floor, especially Candy who was always very quiet and timid, now she wakes me up in the middle of the night demanding more food!
IMG_2604.JPG IMG_2605.JPG IMG_2606.JPG IMG_2607.JPG

GinaG

Junior Guinea Pig
Wow Flamestriker what an amazingly set up! Cavy heaven! Is it awkward to reach under the loft to clean? I'm thinking of making mine a 2x2 but wasn't sure if it'd be difficult to reach under for poo sweeping?!

oxtinamona

Junior Guinea Pig
Wow Flamestriker what an amazingly set up! Cavy heaven! Is it awkward to reach under the loft to clean? I'm thinking of making mine a 2x2 but wasn't sure if it'd be difficult to reach under for poo sweeping?!
We used to have a 2x2 loft and I was able to reach on a little stool easily ans sometimes I used one of them half length brooms :)