1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The Anniversary Herd is proud to announce that voting is now open for the Halloween / Guy Fawkes Photo competition .....here!. All members get voting... :)
    Dismiss Notice

Member Gallery: C&C cages/homemade cages

Discussion in 'Housing and Enrichment' started by daftscotslass, Aug 13, 2010.

1. flowerfairy

Forum Donator 2017/18

I cut some of the long side of the storage box away using a stanley knife. It took a while but got there in the end. I then sanded it down for ages and ages. They happily leap in and out.

They are rather wonderful aren't they. I have to visit them (in the dining room) multiple times a day to check on their cuteness levels. (Oh the hardship).

SarahWonderland and timmypiggy like this.
  2. ErmiePiggos

ErmiePiggos Junior Guinea Pig

I think I'm going to have to have my adopted two seperated for a bit once they have their operations, bless them. Good thing c and c cages are so easy to build and I have so many spares haha
    I hope your piggys are okay :)

Tiamolly123 and eileen like this.
  3. eileen

Forum Donator 2017/18

ive just started using green back vet bed on half of the 6x2 and using megasorb with finacard on topin the other half of cage and put hidies on the vet bed .hay piles on the disposable bedding and it seems to work a treat.4 piggies I'm not having to sweep so much poo!i put on disposable gloves to pick the poos from vet bed.

Critter, ErmiePiggos and Tiamolly123 like this.
  4. eileen

Forum Donator 2017/18

5. eileen

Forum Donator 2017/18

these are the pictures of my piggies on there vet bed and megasorb/finacard bedding in 6x2 c and c cage.

timmypiggy likes this.
  6. ButtercupClover

ButtercupClover Junior Guinea Pig

ErmiePiggos likes this.
  7. ButtercupClover

image.jpeg
    Not exactly a home-made cage, but not really a commercial one either!

My piggies have two outdoor wooden runs (from someone who sells them on eBay) which are lined with Correx and fleece. The nearest cage is currently occupied by 3 girls and 2 babies. The far cage will be baby Marmalade's when he's big enough to leave his mum (and I'll fill it with hideys etc then). The longer term plan will be for Marmalade to be neutered, and then live with the 4 girls. At that point, I'll remove the dividing wall and have one big cage for them.

The front cage is 180x90cm, and the back one 150x90. All really easy to clean. I sweep every day and then put the fleece liners in the wash every 3-4 days. I don't even use anything under the fleece, as nothing ever seems to leak through!

8. RavenRed

RavenRed Junior Guinea Pig

Looks fab, lots of space.
    Do you find the piggies try to get under the fleece?
    I have liners so they're a bit heavier than just fleece, but mine sometimes burrow underneath the short ones.

9. ButtercupClover

No, they've not tried to get underneath, although the liners are quite heavy, so I'm not sure they'd have the strength to move them. They burrow underneath the fleece pigloo and tunnel all the time though! I've known there to be one piggy underneath the pigloo, one inside, and one sat on top!

RavenRed and Hennie like this.
  10. Tiamolly123

Forum Donator 2017/18

11. Tiamolly123

Forum Donator 2017/18

Hi this is brilliant, tell Paul he's done well
    I wanted to build a 2 tier cage but I've always found the base cage gets really dark. How have you overcome this.

12. oxtinamona

oxtinamona Junior Guinea Pig

Hi all,

We have finally upgraded from standard C&C stacked up cages to something more sturdy and space saving, yet bigger ! I thought I'll share in case someone else want more space and struggles to build wooden habitats ( we rent so we need to be able to take cage down if need to move and this fits the bull). IMG_3792.JPG Love their new habitats. They're are 2.5X5 C&C grids each.

In near future we would like to build proper door to the front which will be with use of Perspex, but that's going to have to wait since it's expensive and the base of the cage wasn't cheap either ;)

eileen and Skittypigs like this.
  13. flowerfairy

Forum Donator 2017/18

Ooooo thats wonderful. Where did you get those shelves and what do they measure?

14. oxtinamona

Hi I got them from company that sells industrial shelving. They're called garage-shelving.co.uk.
    The cage is 90cm deep and 180 cm wide/ or long depends how you look at it :)

acapae and flowerfairy like this.
  15. clsmell

clsmell Junior Guinea Pig

This is my newest c&c cage. At the moment I have a neutered boar and a sow on the bottom in a 3 x 3 and a single boar at the top in a 1 x 3. I will be extending his cage soon to a 2 x 3 whilst I try and work out what to do with him. He will possibly be neutered soon and move in with my sister's sow Snow White as he doesn't seem to get on with any other boars. I am also worried about having him live with another boar so close to my sow.
    I am loving having them off the floor and they seem to like it too. Since I took this photo I have changed on of the plastic grids next to my bed into a metal grid and they like to sit there next to me when I'm in bed. They have also been a lot more vocal since being off the floor, especially Candy who was always very quiet and timid, now she wakes me up in the middle of the night demanding more food!
    IMG_2604.JPG IMG_2605.JPG IMG_2606.JPG IMG_2607.JPG

oxtinamona and Gem789 like this.
  16. flowerfairy

Forum Donator 2017/18

How lovely that they like to be next to you when you are in bed.

17. Flamestriker

Forum Donator 2017/18

image.jpeg

This is the new C&C cage set up. It's 8 grids along the back wall, with 2 grids one end for 3grids, (under the loft) then it changes out by one grid to 3 grids for 5 grids (so it's 3 grids away from being a full 8x3)

18. GinaG

GinaG Junior Guinea Pig

Wow Flamestriker what an amazingly set up! Cavy heaven! Is it awkward to reach under the loft to clean? I'm thinking of making mine a 2x2 but wasn't sure if it'd be difficult to reach under for poo sweeping?!

19. Flamestriker

Forum Donator 2017/18

I reach under the loft by removing the loft. There are gaps under the support bars that enable me to reach in to the corner

20. oxtinamona

We used to have a 2x2 loft and I was able to reach on a little stool easily ans sometimes I used one of them half length brooms :)