1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Member Gallery: C&C cages/homemade cages

Discussion in 'Housing and Enrichment' started by daftscotslass, Aug 13, 2010.

1. daftscotslass

Senior Guinea Pig

Please use this thread to post pictures of your C&C cages or other similar home-made housing. Try to include some information with the photo like:

Cage Type
    Where it was purchased or how it was made
    What size it is
    How many piggies are kept in it
    How easy it is to keep clean/if you'd recommend it

Bear in mind that new members will look to this thread as an example of good piggy keeping so photos of accommodation that is inadequately sized, dirty or overcrowded may be removed at the discretion of admin.

This thread is NOT for discussion of the photos, please start a new thread if you need to.

If you want more information about C & C cages (including sourcing), please see this regularly updated link here: All About C & C Grid Cages

Maisy and Poppy and tymira like this.
  2. Laura-CCC4

Senior Guinea Pig

I have 16 piggies, most are in pairs but there is one larger group. I have two separate units for housing my lot.

I bought my grids from Robert May, £25 per pack (of 17 grids).
    I bought my correx from Tea Crate Packaging, around £3 per 8x4ft sheet.
    I used cable ties to secure the grids together, the key measurement being 3.5mm+ thickness (length was less relevent).
    I used wooden batons from Homebase to support the upper levels without interrupting floor space.

I have multi-level cages but only one group per level, for various reasons. Accessing each level can be tricky at times. I am relatively small, a slender 5ft 2", so I am able to manoeuvre my way where necessary!

I use fleece bedding for the majority of each cage, with a hay-and-newspaper section to allow them the opportunity to forage.

~

Unit One

[​IMG]

Each level is a 2x5.
    Each level holds 2 guineas - the top level has two intact boys, middle level has two sows, and the lower level has a neutered boar and sow couple.

Access doors are three of the middle grids on the middle and lower levels, hinged by the cable ties and securely closed with bulldog clips.

Unit Two

[​IMG]

Top level is a full 2x5 and houses 2 pigs, a neutered boar and a sow.
    Middle level is a 2x5 and houses 2 pigs, a neutered boar and a sow.
    Lower level is a 2x5 plus 2x3 extension on the front. This cage houses 5 pigs; one neutered boar and four sows.
    The 2x2 to the lower right of the picture now houses a single sow (it didn't at the time the photo was taken); although small, she is allowed lots of floor time and this setup for her allows her the company she requires despite her refusal to cohabit with any other pigs!

Hospital Cages

I also have a unit to house any poorly guineas that I board. Each level is a 2x3, enough for one poorly guinea. Access is via the grid in the middle of each level.

[​IMG]

~

I have had many C&C designs over the past five years, I will upload as many photos as I can to show you in the coming days/weeks. :)

eileen, ChloeCee98, JMcG and 10 others like this.
  3. KimberleysWheekers

KimberleysWheekers New Member

4x3 C&C

This is my first attempt at a C&C cage (the loft never got completed). This photo was taken when they were first put in, they had more toys and stuff afterwards.

[​IMG]

It was 4x3 grids and housed 5 piggies for the short time we had it; Momma and Poppa pig (he had since been neutered) and three very young sows until Seymour recovered from his neutering op, at which point my 6 piggies were split into two trios. Initially, we only intended to house 4 piggies in this cage and we didn't keep it for very long.

The grids were bought from eBay and the correx from a company in Leicester called Soden Plastics.

4x3 grids (using no connectors, only cable ties) = 4ft 8in by 3ft 6in

I found this cage a bit of a pain to clean and catch the piggies in. I had to step into it and they would run to the furthest corner away. Also, the tray was too large to take out etc.

I think C&C cages are great and will be attempting another one, however I found this one wasn't for me because it was too big an area and because it was on the floor.

I have written about all my cage variations on my blog; http://myguineapiggies.blogspot.com/p/housing.html

4. KimberleysWheekers

Savic Park 6

Not quite homemade, but fits best here...

I bought the Savic Park 6 as an indoor play pen, however when Sasha was pregnant and prior to the C&C build, we used it to separate her and the bubs from Mabelle.

Once the babies were big enough, Mabelle (who was now neutered) could go back with Momma Pig and the sows. We used the Savic Park 6 to house them for a while. There were 4 piggies in this cage, Momma and Poppa Pig and two baby sows.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is normally shown as a hexagon shape on websites it is sold on, however can be set up like this. This cage was 160cm by 80cm and works in much the same way as a C&C cage, only the panels are higher (60cm).

I bought the Park 6 from Pets at Home, however it is available from a lot of online stores.

I think this is a great alternative to a C&C cage. The metal poles sticking out of the tops of the panels are there because if this were setup on grass, they would stick into the ground to secure the run. If using this indoors, I didn't find this to be a problem, however if you have small children I would advise cutting the poles shorter so that they are flush with the top of the panels as I would imagine that they would cause a lot of damage if fallen on to.

Because I didn't have any correx with this cage, underneath the fleece I have 3 large carpet style doormats from Dunelm Mill which were about £3 each to protect the carpet.

I have written about all my cage variations on my blog; http://myguineapiggies.blogspot.com/p/housing.html

mcbeth likes this.
  5. Splat n Dexter

Splat n Dexter Junior Guinea Pig

Cage Type: C&C with plywood base

How it was made: Since the only place we had to place the cage was on top of a chest of drawers smaller than the actual cage, we decided to use a plywood base for it. Along the sides we glued (hard as nails glue) pieces of wood to prevent the cage slipping off the wood. We also glued battons on the bottom side of the wood in against (but not glued to) the chest of drawers to prevent the whole lot moving.

We then built the C&C in the usual manner. Grids put together using dividers and cable ties. Two grids on bottom level open out for easy cleaning access. One on top swings open for same reason. We use bull clips to keep those closed when not cleaning.

Correx measured and trimmed/scored etc to fit. We tried hard as nails glue to stick it together without success. Lots and lots of duct tape did it in the end.

We have yet to add a ramp for the upper level.

Wood and plywood bought in B&Q.
    Grids bought on Ebay.
    Cable ties in pound shop.
    Correx from local sign maker.

What size it is: 2x4 grids base, 1x3 loft.

How many piggies are kept in it: 1 neutered boar and 1 sow. Possibility of adding another sow in the future.

How easy it is to keep clean/if you'd recommend it: Much easier to access to interact with piggies, clean out etc than their shop bought cage. They revel in the extra room they have and are more active than before. Wouldn't go back to shop bought cage again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sign bought on ebay:
    [​IMG]

6. skrikopanik

skrikopanik New Member

[​IMG]

Cage Type: Floor pen

Where it was purchased or how it was made: It's was in a corner so two sides were already there. I joined two long pices of wood to make the other corner. It had plastic tablecloth to protect the floor, then towels and then fleece on top. The hay was in the bin in the corner that had a paper based kitty litter in it.

What size it is: 200x110 cm

How many piggies are kept in it
    : 3

How easy it is to keep clean/if you'd recommend it
    : Really easy to keep clean! I just vacuumed or swept once a day. With only three piggies and that large space I only changed the fleece and towels once a week.

It was free and quick to make as I already had the shelves and the bedding stuff. I first meant to have it as a floortime but decided it could just as well be their permanent home, and kept it for about 4 months.

I changed away from it because I had (and still have) a skittish piggie and wanted to get her off the floor so that I wouldn't always "attack from above". I loved the space but it can't really be combined with being raised as I wouldn't reach in to clean.

7. kimberlie

kimberlie Junior Guinea Pig

8. Salt n Peppers mum

Salt n Peppers mum Adult Guinea Pig

My first C&C cage built with my own fair hands (helped by my 2 & half year old at the time) :)
    5 by 2. Grids used as a stand.

[​IMG]

Present C&C (summer set up)

[​IMG]

C&C L shaped cage, with homemade wooden table as base.

The grids I got the last lots from our B&Q £20 per box. (I believe they dont sell them any more)
    Correx was from a local sign makers shop at £15.00 a sheet (8'x4')
    All the information I needed to build this was from this website
    http://www.guineapigcages.com/howto.htm

I think its not hard to do once you follow the guide from guinea pig cages website, I have no skills and had a small child running round my feet all the time while making it, although I had my Dad make me the tables.
    The wooden table was made by making 2 tables both 4 grids by 2 grids in size then L shaped them together and connected with screws. The white metal legs are from B&Q and are about 12 inch high.

Size 6 grids by 2 grids down the back wall then the 2 grids by 2 grids to make the L, and a 2 by 2 hay loft Each grid measures 14inch (approx 35cm each)

[​IMG]

Hay loft as it is now
    [​IMG]

Winter set up. Gave them extra floor space to make up for not being able to get grass time outside. This was a lot harder to clean under the table as they used the far corner as a toilet but I had 'all in one' fleece pads made so I can just pull it out and swop it for a clean one.
    I use a combination of bedding, towels and inco pads underneath fleece, and also the brown/black paw print fleece are an 'all-in-one' waterproof pad made from a e-bay lady. I am quite fanatical about washing their bedding to keep down smells and of course the hay boxes are washed and fresh hay at least once/twice a day.

[​IMG]

My two Boars Salt and Pepper are housed here.
    [​IMG]

Tiamolly123, Hlao-roo, Bob24 and 22 others like this.
  9. Splat n Dexter

I use an equine bedding called Allbed;
    http://www.allbed.ie/

10. KimberleysWheekers

Four Storey 5x2 C&C Cage

[​IMG]

This is a 5x2 C&C cage with a wooden frame structure and hinged doors. There is more info on how the cage was built here.

The doors open to the left (3 panels) and right (2 panels)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Each of the top three floors will house 3 piggies; a neutered boar and two sows. The bottom floor will be for storage of their things.

It is newly built so haven't had the joy of cleaning it yet, but all of the correx trays are removable and the doors open fully so I expect it to be easy to clean.

The cubes were bought from eBay.
    The wood/MDF/hardboard were bought from B&Q.
    The hinges, brackets, screws, tacks, castor wheels were bought from Wilkinsons and B&Q.
    The latches were from Wilkinsons.
    The paint was from Protek.
    The correx was from MDP Supplies.

11. Splat n Dexter

Wow, that looks really great. 8;)

12. CaseyTiggerPie

CaseyTiggerPie New Member

My cage is a non-C&C cage because I can't access materials.

I originally had a store-bought cage but upgraded fairly quickly to this. It is made out of rose trellises with mesh secured over them with cable ties. I then joined them at the corners with more cable ties:) I had to cut 2 of the sides down because it wouldn't fit on the table and we have dogs, so it couldn't be on the floor. I used a large garden table and then bought a large sheet of this flexible wood (I don't know what it's called) upon which I stuck vinyl tiles to protect the wood. On top went the cage.

It is 1.5 by 1 metre. I used the same idea for a run outside.

My 3 piggies, Casey, Tigger and Pie are housed in it.

This cage was so great for me, especially seeing as I was desperate for a bigger cage but couldn't get the cubes for C&Cs:)

It's easy to clean because I use newspaper, then towels, then fleece and so I just take it all off, wipe down the tiles and put clean bedding on. I definitely recommend it if you can't have a C&C for whatever reason. :)

I got all the stuff for it from Builder's Express.[​IMG]

http://members.webs.com/MembersB/ed...ageID=175155483#photos/photo?photoid=97353532

13. CaseyTiggerPie

Sorry something went wrong with the pics. Let me try again:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. CaseyTiggerPie

15. CaseyTiggerPie

Ok I am really very sorry for messing up the thread! If you are a moderator and are reading this and you want to delete the 2 posts where I don't explain how I built the cage and the pics don't show up, you can:) Here are the pictures:

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

16. torieraa

torieraa Junior Guinea Pig

Here is my C&C Cage

[​IMG]
    By torieraa at 2010-08-25
    its a 3x2 base with a 1x2 hay loft. I would have preferred to give them a much bigger cage but this is all I could manage in my living room. It houses my 3 boars and they all seem happy enough thankfully.

I got my grids from Wickes for £14.99 which works out a bit cheaper than from ebay. They are the all mesh type, I was worried about where I would put the water bottles at first but discovered that you can cut the mesh with normal household scissors to make a space for the spout to fit through. I made the correx on the downstairs area to sit outside the cage. I know a couple of people have asked how you would clean it out. Personally I just lift one corner at a time when laying my new fleece.

[​IMG]
    I used a single layer of correx for the ground floor and two layers glued together for the hay loft. I was a bit paranoid that the pigs would be able to feel the grids through one layer of correx so doubled it up just to be safe and help avoid any feet problems

[​IMG]
    The ramp was made with two bent grids and covered in a double layer of correx.

[​IMG]
    By torieraa at 2010-08-26
    I didn't like my original ramp so I took the tunnel off and moved one of the grids to make a bigger wall.
    http://www.therange.co.uk/invt/309078/
    I used 2 packets of the wood chews on the link above to make the steps. I found them really handy as they come with pre drilled holes so I cable tied the to the ramp. Also all my boys love nibbling them too which keeps they teeth nice and healthy

Tiamolly123, magicmoments and mcbeth like this.
  17. Member A

Member A New Member

The girls newly built and very basic 2x4 c&c

[​IMG]

Grids were purchased from B&Q

Correx came from a local sign makers

Please excuse all the poops on the floor! :)

#17 Member A, Oct 17, 2010 at 6:56 PM
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
    Tiamolly123 likes this.
  18. 4piggiepigpigs

4piggiepigpigs New Member

19. PiratePig

PiratePig Junior Guinea Pig

I have one sow currently.

I made this C&C cage.
    The cubes came from WalMart, originally sold as some kind of shelving unit.
    I got the coroplast from Home Depot.
    To put it together we just used the connectors (had to use a hammer to get it on tight) except in the back corner because we scored the coroplast just a tad too big. That is held together with zip ties which I believe came from the dollar store ages ago.

It is 3 cubes x 2 cubes

It is soooooo much easier to keep clean than her small little cage. I just scoop up the old shavings with a small dustpan and broom and then wipe it down with vinegar water.

I would most definitely recommend this type of cage to any GP owner.

[​IMG]
    (I had just cleaned it in this picture so Athena is running around rearranging everything to her liking)

Tiamolly123 likes this.
  20. Millie's-Mummy

Millie's-Mummy Adult Guinea Pig

I love my girls C&C, after christmas its being extended as meme will be bigger and a 3 x 2 isn't big enough for 2 xx

Tiamolly123 likes this.