• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Member Gallery: C&C cages/homemade cages

daftscotslass

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Please use this thread to post pictures of your C&C cages or other similar home-made housing. Try to include some information with the photo like:

Cage Type
Where it was purchased or how it was made
What size it is
How many piggies are kept in it
How easy it is to keep clean/if you'd recommend it

Bear in mind that new members will look to this thread as an example of good piggy keeping so photos of accommodation that is inadequately sized, dirty or overcrowded may be removed at the discretion of admin.

This thread is NOT for discussion of the photos, please start a new thread if you need to.

If you want more information about C & C cages (including sourcing), please see this regularly updated link here: All About C & C Grid Cages

Cage Type: C&C with plywood base

How it was made: Since the only place we had to place the cage was on top of a chest of drawers smaller than the actual cage, we decided to use a plywood base for it. Along the sides we glued (hard as nails glue) pieces of wood to prevent the cage slipping off the wood. We also glued battons on the bottom side of the wood in against (but not glued to) the chest of drawers to prevent the whole lot moving.

We then built the C&C in the usual manner. Grids put together using dividers and cable ties. Two grids on bottom level open out for easy cleaning access. One on top swings open for same reason. We use bull clips to keep those closed when not cleaning.

Correx measured and trimmed/scored etc to fit. We tried hard as nails glue to stick it together without success. Lots and lots of duct tape did it in the end.

We have yet to add a ramp for the upper level.

Wood and plywood bought in B&Q.
Grids bought on Ebay.
Cable ties in pound shop.
Correx from local sign maker.

What size it is: 2x4 grids base, 1x3 loft.

How many piggies are kept in it: 1 neutered boar and 1 sow. Possibility of adding another sow in the future.

How easy it is to keep clean/if you'd recommend it: Much easier to access to interact with piggies, clean out etc than their shop bought cage. They revel in the extra room they have and are more active than before. Wouldn't go back to shop bought cage again.

IMG169.jpg

IMG172.jpg

IMG173.jpg

IMG175.jpg

Sign bought on ebay:
IMG171.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_4766.jpg

Cage Type: Floor pen

Where it was purchased or how it was made: It's was in a corner so two sides were already there. I joined two long pices of wood to make the other corner. It had plastic tablecloth to protect the floor, then towels and then fleece on top. The hay was in the bin in the corner that had a paper based kitty litter in it.

What size it is: 200x110 cm

How many piggies are kept in it
: 3

How easy it is to keep clean/if you'd recommend it
: Really easy to keep clean! I just vacuumed or swept once a day. With only three piggies and that large space I only changed the fleece and towels once a week.

It was free and quick to make as I already had the shelves and the bedding stuff. I first meant to have it as a floortime but decided it could just as well be their permanent home, and kept it for about 4 months.

I changed away from it because I had (and still have) a skittish piggie and wanted to get her off the floor so that I wouldn't always "attack from above". I loved the space but it can't really be combined with being raised as I wouldn't reach in to clean.

My cage is a non-C&C cage because I can't access materials.

I originally had a store-bought cage but upgraded fairly quickly to this. It is made out of rose trellises with mesh secured over them with cable ties. I then joined them at the corners with more cable ties:) I had to cut 2 of the sides down because it wouldn't fit on the table and we have dogs, so it couldn't be on the floor. I used a large garden table and then bought a large sheet of this flexible wood (I don't know what it's called) upon which I stuck vinyl tiles to protect the wood. On top went the cage.

It is 1.5 by 1 metre. I used the same idea for a run outside.

My 3 piggies, Casey, Tigger and Pie are housed in it.

This cage was so great for me, especially seeing as I was desperate for a bigger cage but couldn't get the cubes for C&Cs:)

It's easy to clean because I use newspaper, then towels, then fleece and so I just take it all off, wipe down the tiles and put clean bedding on. I definitely recommend it if you can't have a C&C for whatever reason. :)

I got all the stuff for it from Builder's Express.
editAppPage.jsp

http://members.webs.com/MembersB/ed...ageID=175155483#photos/photo?photoid=97353532

I have one sow currently.

I made this C&C cage.
The cubes came from WalMart, originally sold as some kind of shelving unit.
I got the coroplast from Home Depot.
To put it together we just used the connectors (had to use a hammer to get it on tight) except in the back corner because we scored the coroplast just a tad too big. That is held together with zip ties which I believe came from the dollar store ages ago.

It is 3 cubes x 2 cubes

It is soooooo much easier to keep clean than her small little cage. I just scoop up the old shavings with a small dustpan and broom and then wipe it down with vinegar water.

I would most definitely recommend this type of cage to any GP owner.

tumblr_lckeksAMvr1qbe4pso1_r1_500.jpg

(I had just cleaned it in this picture so Athena is running around rearranging everything to her liking)

I got my first set of grids by dismantling a cube storage rack that nobody was using anyway (lol) just to get an idea of what a cage would look like. Then I got another package of grids from Home Depot for the floor and lid. Then I got another package from WalMart for the stand. (I bought another package from Walmart for a pen for freetime and for outside time in the summer)

It's a 2X4 cage (it's 28" by 56", to be exact)

It houses two 3-month-old girls

It's been in use for less than a week, but I'm already finding it easy to clean. I bought a hand vacuum along with a couple of hand brooms, and the hand vac is AWESOME. It scares the poo out of the pigs, so I try to vacuum the cage while the pigs are on free-time. Sometimes while using the hand broom, poo flicks around and refuses to cooperate. Thus why the vacuum is so AWESOME. The broom probably works better for big messes, like big clods of hay, or old food, or basically anything that may be too big for the hand vac.

IMG_4214a by AussieDog87, on Flickr
IMG_4216a by AussieDog87, on Flickr
IMG_4215a by AussieDog87, on Flickr
Bear in mind, it already looks quite different. Some things are gone, other things have been added. These pics were taken while I was getting the cage ready for the girls.

We are off to Avalon tomorrow to see some boys, and this is the home we have made for them.

DSC_0835 by InspiredCupcake, on Flickr

DSC_0834 by InspiredCupcake, on Flickr

DSC_0833 by InspiredCupcake, on Flickr

They have about 8.5 square feet of space, and we are going to add another level when we have made a ramp for them.

The Cubes were from JTF at £20 for a box of 16. The corotherm was from Wickes at £20 for 200cm x 70cm.

Anton bent the grids at work to enable us to have three 'cornered' cubes for the shape we needed.

Thanks very much for looking!

Here's my ever changing C&C. I used to have three 2x5's then I lost one pig and bonded another to one of my pairs so I had a 2x5 and a 4x5. Since I lost one of my group of 3 I changed back to two 2x5's with 1x2 upper levels!

Apologies for the picture quality, they're from my phone!

photo-6.jpg

Bumble and Bee's cage

photo-4.jpg

Maggie and Sephy's cage

photo-3.jpg

Emma
x

My Cage

Hey there, This is my C&C cage but as you can see in the photos below i have used lino as a base for my cage rather that corex. I found this was much cheaper as we have many offcuts in the loft. It may not last as long as corex but it is also very easy to take out and wash.
The grids were bought from amazon.
It is 72cm by 108cm. plus a hay loft that is 72cm by 36cms
I keep my two boar piggies (seen in photos) sugar and spice in here.
I find it very easy to keep clean as the lino can be easily wiped down with any piggy safe cleaner. I bed them on fleece main, at the moment i am still using the last of a MASSIVE bag of sawdust i bought before changing to fleece in their hay loft, but eventually that will be fleece too. I find my piggies have a pee corner where i add extra towel (the bottom of the ramp) if i change that every day i can make the cage last 3 days without changing anything else. All the small beds (hand made) last 6 days as my boys are very good and refuse to use them as toilets.
main view
IMAG_0057.jpg

IMAG_0055.jpg

Their favourite corner under the hayloft (spice hiding)
IMAG_0056.jpg

Hay loft
IMAG_0054.jpg

Ramp - my very helpfull younger brother made this for me using a shelf and some dowels to hold the side rail in place. There are two screw in hooks at the top and one smaller one on the side allowing it to be secured. i find if you cut small holes in the towel and hook that over the top hooks it stays in place perfectly and catches alot of the sawdust on the way down.
IMAG_0053.jpg

sugars favourite hiding place under the ramp
IMAG_0046.jpg

Nilson's (ginger) and Ben's (small brown and black) new cage is made of 20 grids (10 of them on the floor). The lining is made of lino flooring, which we made quite high to prevent them from eating it. In the corner we incorporated Nilson's old cage (imagine the poor little one alone in this tiny cage!). It's now a cuddle corner with a fleece house and a fleece hammock that they love jumping in and out of.

On the right hand side, just before the cuddle corner is one grid missing. This might be made into a door later on, but nor sure yet.

These two are summer boarding guests. Once they go back, I'm planning to put the lino directly on the floor (maybe a carpet underneath) and using the 10 floor grids to build a loft with a ramp. I'll try to persuade the owners to use fleece inside the cage, but I'm not very hopeful. If they stayed here, I'd definitely do that because the whole wood shavings business is too messy for my liking. I'll post a picture once the final cage is set up. I'll definitely miss these boys.

H1120004.jpg

Last edited:
Mine look rather pathetic compared to all of yours, i've just built it for them after the long wait for the grids to arrive :D
its now 180x70cm, an upgrade from 120x60cm and they seem to like it.
Might add another level at some point but seeing as they're lazy pigs ill probably keep it as it is :) also need to get a few more toys, thats all there was room for in their old cage ;L
Anyway pics:P

Their old cage:

IMG_0176.jpg

and now,

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

haha macs a liiiiittle bit obsessed with them, but dont worry he doesnt do anything to them, hes just fascinated and watches them :P

IMG_0172.jpg

also dont worry its fox proof as its outside, a lot of locks and cable ties were used :P
Another thing, those bricks are there to hold down the fleece. am looking to replace them with large pebbles or something, and will be using bigger sheets of fleece so i dont need to use 2 sheets and need more pebbles..

My guineas houses!

My guinea pigs have a indoor + outdoor run, hutch, and indoor cage!

Unfortunatly i could not get the pictures up but i will but in some links that are simular to the runs hutch and cage :)

the cage:
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/rabbit100guineapiganddwarfrabbitcagebyferplast37559

The hutch:
http://www.dobbies.com/rabbitshackmediumsinglehutch/pid420011?utm_source=googlesh

the indoor run is made up of a shed and part of the outdoor run.

I had a leftover piece form the outdoor run so i attached it to the wall of the shed to make a big indoor shed run!

i couldnt find the right pick so this will do:

http://www.bitsforpets.com/freddie5ft5ftrunp3377.html

i will try to get up some pics and one of my piggies x

Our c&c !

Hi all Kev here , finally got our cage built and the piggies went in today !
It's a 2 storey 5 x 2 with a 2 x 1 hayloft included .
Grids came from netto several months ago
Correx came from work
Vet bed from e bay
And the wooden support under the upper floor was supposed to be a curtain rail baton in our new house !

I've been scuppered ! I can't upload a picture from me phone !! Nooooooo ! Pic to follow then :(
But it's on me Facebook though !

Here's our latest set up;

Baby proofed cage so no little heads get stuck in grids!

08082011611.jpg

Doubled up grids secured with cable ties where we ran out of mesh grids.

08082011612.jpg

Shelf made of normal grids, handy for putting plates etc on when dealing with piggies.

08082011616.jpg

Same wooden base under the correx, middle two gids open for ease of cleaning.

my boys new home :)

These lil dudes hate each other so have to live apart :) thank you so much everyone who gave advice on how to create this new pad!

DSCN2803.jpg

DSCN2802.jpg

DSCN2801.jpg

DSCN2800.jpg

DSCN2796.jpg

I used lots and lots of grids bought from ebay and screwfix, and cable tied them together (i still need to trim them i know!).

We had a double blow up bed that was broken, so I used that as a base as it it totally waterproof. Then covered it with newspaper and then towels.

I would like to make an upper level but too scared at the min as I'm just getting used to this.

Last edited:
here is our recently built c&c cage, we brought the grids from b&q, the correx came from a firm in leicester. We got the wood around the top of the cage, already on a roll from a garden centre, we also attached this to some wood for the ramp.A hanging basket, tilted on its side, filled with either hay or the dried herb mixtures has proved popular with them, and we put in a swing, which we put their fresh food on, they like this also.the cage houses 3 pigs, and is two squares wide, and six long. We also stuff old toilet rolls with hay, which they push around the hutch.We are very pleased with it, and our boy piggies seem to love it!

P8290086.jpg

P8290056.jpg

P8290057.jpg

IMAG0488.jpg

Back