1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check out the winners of the Christmas Card Competition here!.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Anniversary Herd is proud to announce that voting is now open for the Halloween / Guy Fawkes Photo competition .....here!. All members get voting... :)
    Dismiss Notice

Member Gallery: C&C cages/homemade cages

Discussion in 'Housing and Enrichment' started by daftscotslass, Aug 13, 2010.

1. daftscotslass

Senior Guinea Pig

Please use this thread to post pictures of your C&C cages or other similar home-made housing. Try to include some information with the photo like:

Cage Type
    Where it was purchased or how it was made
    What size it is
    How many piggies are kept in it
    How easy it is to keep clean/if you'd recommend it

Bear in mind that new members will look to this thread as an example of good piggy keeping so photos of accommodation that is inadequately sized, dirty or overcrowded may be removed at the discretion of admin.

This thread is NOT for discussion of the photos, please start a new thread if you need to.

If you want more information about C & C cages (including sourcing), please see this regularly updated link here: All About C & C Grid Cages

Maisy and Poppy and tymira like this.
  2. Splat n Dexter

Splat n Dexter Junior Guinea Pig

Cage Type: C&C with plywood base

How it was made: Since the only place we had to place the cage was on top of a chest of drawers smaller than the actual cage, we decided to use a plywood base for it. Along the sides we glued (hard as nails glue) pieces of wood to prevent the cage slipping off the wood. We also glued battons on the bottom side of the wood in against (but not glued to) the chest of drawers to prevent the whole lot moving.

We then built the C&C in the usual manner. Grids put together using dividers and cable ties. Two grids on bottom level open out for easy cleaning access. One on top swings open for same reason. We use bull clips to keep those closed when not cleaning.

Correx measured and trimmed/scored etc to fit. We tried hard as nails glue to stick it together without success. Lots and lots of duct tape did it in the end.

We have yet to add a ramp for the upper level.

Wood and plywood bought in B&Q.
    Grids bought on Ebay.
    Cable ties in pound shop.
    Correx from local sign maker.

What size it is: 2x4 grids base, 1x3 loft.

How many piggies are kept in it: 1 neutered boar and 1 sow. Possibility of adding another sow in the future.

How easy it is to keep clean/if you'd recommend it: Much easier to access to interact with piggies, clean out etc than their shop bought cage. They revel in the extra room they have and are more active than before. Wouldn't go back to shop bought cage again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sign bought on ebay:
    [​IMG]

MrsC2017, beckyb, Red Star and 4 others like this.
  3. skrikopanik

skrikopanik New Member

[​IMG]

Cage Type: Floor pen

Where it was purchased or how it was made: It's was in a corner so two sides were already there. I joined two long pices of wood to make the other corner. It had plastic tablecloth to protect the floor, then towels and then fleece on top. The hay was in the bin in the corner that had a paper based kitty litter in it.

What size it is: 200x110 cm

How many piggies are kept in it
    : 3

How easy it is to keep clean/if you'd recommend it
    : Really easy to keep clean! I just vacuumed or swept once a day. With only three piggies and that large space I only changed the fleece and towels once a week.

It was free and quick to make as I already had the shelves and the bedding stuff. I first meant to have it as a floortime but decided it could just as well be their permanent home, and kept it for about 4 months.

I changed away from it because I had (and still have) a skittish piggie and wanted to get her off the floor so that I wouldn't always "attack from above". I loved the space but it can't really be combined with being raised as I wouldn't reach in to clean.

4. kimberlie

kimberlie Junior Guinea Pig

5. Splat n Dexter

I use an equine bedding called Allbed;
    http://www.allbed.ie/

6. Splat n Dexter

Wow, that looks really great. 8;)

7. CaseyTiggerPie

CaseyTiggerPie New Member

My cage is a non-C&C cage because I can't access materials.

I originally had a store-bought cage but upgraded fairly quickly to this. It is made out of rose trellises with mesh secured over them with cable ties. I then joined them at the corners with more cable ties:) I had to cut 2 of the sides down because it wouldn't fit on the table and we have dogs, so it couldn't be on the floor. I used a large garden table and then bought a large sheet of this flexible wood (I don't know what it's called) upon which I stuck vinyl tiles to protect the wood. On top went the cage.

It is 1.5 by 1 metre. I used the same idea for a run outside.

My 3 piggies, Casey, Tigger and Pie are housed in it.

This cage was so great for me, especially seeing as I was desperate for a bigger cage but couldn't get the cubes for C&Cs:)

It's easy to clean because I use newspaper, then towels, then fleece and so I just take it all off, wipe down the tiles and put clean bedding on. I definitely recommend it if you can't have a C&C for whatever reason. :)

I got all the stuff for it from Builder's Express.[​IMG]

http://members.webs.com/MembersB/ed...ageID=175155483#photos/photo?photoid=97353532

8. CaseyTiggerPie

CaseyTiggerPie New Member

Ok I am really very sorry for messing up the thread! If you are a moderator and are reading this and you want to delete the 2 posts where I don't explain how I built the cage and the pics don't show up, you can:) Here are the pictures:

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

9. 4piggiepigpigs

4piggiepigpigs New Member

10. PiratePig

PiratePig Junior Guinea Pig

I have one sow currently.

I made this C&C cage.
    The cubes came from WalMart, originally sold as some kind of shelving unit.
    I got the coroplast from Home Depot.
    To put it together we just used the connectors (had to use a hammer to get it on tight) except in the back corner because we scored the coroplast just a tad too big. That is held together with zip ties which I believe came from the dollar store ages ago.

It is 3 cubes x 2 cubes

It is soooooo much easier to keep clean than her small little cage. I just scoop up the old shavings with a small dustpan and broom and then wipe it down with vinegar water.

I would most definitely recommend this type of cage to any GP owner.

[​IMG]
    (I had just cleaned it in this picture so Athena is running around rearranging everything to her liking)

ChloeCee98, Red Star and Tiamolly123 like this.
  11. Millie's-Mummy

Millie's-Mummy Adult Guinea Pig

I love my girls C&C, after christmas its being extended as meme will be bigger and a 3 x 2 isn't big enough for 2 xx

Tiamolly123 likes this.
  12. Curlycritter

Curlycritter New Member

I would like to know how you made the ramp please? it doesn show you on your "how to" link :(

*** esther x

Tiamolly123 likes this.
  13. Salt n Peppers mum

Salt n Peppers mum Adult Guinea Pig

The ramps are just something I found while rumaging around in my garage.
    They were left over when we put new window sills in the house. The are like plastic boards with a small raised lip. You can buy them from DIY stores like Wickes or B&Q. They were secured by drilling a couple of holes in the board and tying them to the correx with cable ties. A peice of carpet is then placed on top for easy grip. :)

14. gizmo01

gizmo01 Adult Guinea Pig

i need all of you i am designing a 2 level hutch with 2 2x5 foot levels basically i want to have the base as a dark bed area and the top as their food and play and water are it will house 3 boys assuming they get on that is ideally i would like to mimic their natural habitat a bit (i assume they live underground) can anyone help?

15. Ruth

Ruth Junior Guinea Pig

16. Stacey

Stacey Junior Guinea Pig

All your cages are brilliant. Me and my bf have been desperate to make our own c&c cages but trying to find the grids to make it is a nightmare. Nowhere sells them anymore or its always out of stock. My poor babys are stuck in p@h rubbish cages.

We tryed it once, but the 'grids' we got were rubbish and as my 3 pigs live alone they couldnt see each other and the girds were like a plastic type thingy (dunno what it was ha) and they were so miserable so we scrapped it (and i was worried they would chew it and choke) and gave them their old cages back. Minute they were in them, they all started popcorning and standing up to look at each other and talking to each other, was so cute. Luckily we have a large play pen they each get out in everyday :D

One day my boys will live in luxury like everyone elses :D hehe

17. Sonia

Sonia New Member

Netto have them in...but maybe all gone :S

Worth looking though.

18. Sonia

Sonia New Member

19. Aussie_Dog

Aussie_Dog New Member

I got my first set of grids by dismantling a cube storage rack that nobody was using anyway (lol) just to get an idea of what a cage would look like. Then I got another package of grids from Home Depot for the floor and lid. Then I got another package from WalMart for the stand. (I bought another package from Walmart for a pen for freetime and for outside time in the summer)

It's a 2X4 cage (it's 28" by 56", to be exact)

It houses two 3-month-old girls

It's been in use for less than a week, but I'm already finding it easy to clean. I bought a hand vacuum along with a couple of hand brooms, and the hand vac is AWESOME. It scares the poo out of the pigs, so I try to vacuum the cage while the pigs are on free-time. Sometimes while using the hand broom, poo flicks around and refuses to cooperate. Thus why the vacuum is so AWESOME. The broom probably works better for big messes, like big clods of hay, or old food, or basically anything that may be too big for the hand vac.

[​IMG]IMG_4214a by AussieDog87, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_4216a by AussieDog87, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_4215a by AussieDog87, on Flickr
    Bear in mind, it already looks quite different. Some things are gone, other things have been added. These pics were taken while I was getting the cage ready for the girls.

#19 Aussie_Dog, Mar 31, 2011 at 6:52 AM
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
    Tiamolly123 likes this.
  20. Salt n Peppers mum

Salt n Peppers mum Adult Guinea Pig

Just to let every one know, B&Q do still sell the cubes http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.js...&isSearch=true
    23 grids and connecters for £22.98

If they havnt got any in stock in your local store they will order them for you if you take in the item number. I reckon if we all keep pre ordering them B&Q might see that demand is there to keep them stocked on their shelf.

:)