• Potential Forum Meet - Manchester Saturday March 2nd Details here!.
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.
  • As from Wednesday, 30th January, Cat and Rabbit Care Clinic will be relocating to 1 The Drive, Northampton, NN1 4RY

Member Gallery: C&C cages/homemade cages

Lady Kelly

Staff member
salt n peppers mum how long where you quoted for the order to come into store. I was told 3-4 weeks and its now been 3 weeks and no news :( we went in last weekend so asked on the offchance and hopefully will get chance tomorrow when OH is back home. Hope they come in soon as I'm meant to be rehoming Peter and getting him neutered

Lucy&Anton

Junior Guinea Pig
We are off to Avalon tomorrow to see some boys, and this is the home we have made for them.

DSC_0835 by InspiredCupcake, on Flickr

DSC_0834 by InspiredCupcake, on Flickr

DSC_0833 by InspiredCupcake, on Flickr

They have about 8.5 square feet of space, and we are going to add another level when we have made a ramp for them.

The Cubes were from JTF at £20 for a box of 16. The corotherm was from Wickes at £20 for 200cm x 70cm.

Anton bent the grids at work to enable us to have three 'cornered' cubes for the shape we needed.

Thanks very much for looking!

jnenbnb

Here's my ever changing C&C. I used to have three 2x5's then I lost one pig and bonded another to one of my pairs so I had a 2x5 and a 4x5. Since I lost one of my group of 3 I changed back to two 2x5's with 1x2 upper levels!

Apologies for the picture quality, they're from my phone!

Bumble and Bee's cage

Maggie and Sephy's cage

Emma
x

Hammy

I have just ordered a c&c cage from amazon, do I need to use correx in the bottom or can I just use the squares and cover with news paper and fleece?
Also, how big does a two tier cage need to be for two boars?
And, how have you all made ramps? I have some mdf that I could make on out of but how have you connected your ramps so they don't fall and what have you put on them to help the pigs grip?

Rilenceny

Teenage Guinea Pig
I have just ordered a c&c cage from amazon, do I need to use correx in the bottom or can I just use the squares and cover with news paper and fleece?
Also, how big does a two tier cage need to be for two boars?
And, how have you all made ramps? I have some mdf that I could make on out of but how have you connected your ramps so they don't fall and what have you put on them to help the pigs grip?
Hi Hammy, please note that since areas can't be added up, the standard 2x4 still applies for the 1st level when it comes to two piggies - Bigger if you can afford the space.

For my first floor, I don't use Coroplast or what you called the Correx. You can just have your fleece and towel on the floor if you'd like to.

I made ramp just by clipping fleece onto a piece of grid with paper clips since we have many sizes available over here, I just found a longish one myself.

Hammy

Yeah, can perhaps do a two by five maybe :)

I have a piece of mdf which I could use if I attach a piece of fleece for grip...but how do I attack wood to the cage so it doesn't fall?

CandyFloss

Senior Guinea Pig
I have a piece of mdf which I could use if I attach a piece of fleece for grip...but how do I attack wood to the cage so it doesn't fall?
I attached my ramp by putting screw hooks into the top of it then hooked them over the upper level floor. I guess another way would be to drill holes in the ramp and cable tie it on ....

x

hazeyg

Adult Guinea Pig
I got mine from robertmay.co.uk. Unlike most others I have seen, these ones are really really strudy and not got a coating on them that may be harmful to guinea's that chew on their bars. Iv'e had mine for two years and they have not worn at all. They are slightly dearer but I am going back for more to attach a roof to my 5x2 cage since I got a puppy. Hopefully the pup will be fine with them but going to make ma wee boys more secure just incase :) x

PiggyLove

these grids are good too i just ordered some they are £10 plus postage and VIBRANT colours

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Whitmor-6256-978-Storage-Cubes-Yellow/dp/B000LRFO4Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1309227349&sr=8-2[/ame]

Connie

Adult Guinea Pig
My Cage

Hey there, This is my C&C cage but as you can see in the photos below i have used lino as a base for my cage rather that corex. I found this was much cheaper as we have many offcuts in the loft. It may not last as long as corex but it is also very easy to take out and wash.
The grids were bought from amazon.
It is 72cm by 108cm. plus a hay loft that is 72cm by 36cms
I keep my two boar piggies (seen in photos) sugar and spice in here.
I find it very easy to keep clean as the lino can be easily wiped down with any piggy safe cleaner. I bed them on fleece main, at the moment i am still using the last of a MASSIVE bag of sawdust i bought before changing to fleece in their hay loft, but eventually that will be fleece too. I find my piggies have a pee corner where i add extra towel (the bottom of the ramp) if i change that every day i can make the cage last 3 days without changing anything else. All the small beds (hand made) last 6 days as my boys are very good and refuse to use them as toilets.
main view

Their favourite corner under the hayloft (spice hiding)

Hay loft

Ramp - my very helpfull younger brother made this for me using a shelf and some dowels to hold the side rail in place. There are two screw in hooks at the top and one smaller one on the side allowing it to be secured. i find if you cut small holes in the towel and hook that over the top hooks it stays in place perfectly and catches alot of the sawdust on the way down.

sugars favourite hiding place under the ramp

PiggyLove

As C&C are addictive to change around I have now made Minty & Pepe's ground floor cage into 2 areas.

The underneath hay box is linked from the fleece bedding area via a tunnel, the grids open up at the end and the correx box pulls out

The correx box is well over a meter long is lined with newspaper and lots of hay.
This area has proved to be their absolutely favourite place.
It also gives both boys lots of space and interesting foraging time, which is sometimes what Pepe needs to take his mind off being a teenage hooligan towards Minty.

The fleece bedding area is just over 2 grids wide, 80cm wide and 230cm long

WOW thats one super cage LOL amazing

PiggyLove

Some of my C&C Designs, I have posted this on another thread as someone was requesting houses idea's. Have Duplicated posted so it's easier for new members to find.

Current Set up!

When I had two separated pigs on the bottom level.

Piggy towers LOL LOL

Nilson's (ginger) and Ben's (small brown and black) new cage is made of 20 grids (10 of them on the floor). The lining is made of lino flooring, which we made quite high to prevent them from eating it. In the corner we incorporated Nilson's old cage (imagine the poor little one alone in this tiny cage!). It's now a cuddle corner with a fleece house and a fleece hammock that they love jumping in and out of.

On the right hand side, just before the cuddle corner is one grid missing. This might be made into a door later on, but nor sure yet.

These two are summer boarding guests. Once they go back, I'm planning to put the lino directly on the floor (maybe a carpet underneath) and using the 10 floor grids to build a loft with a ramp. I'll try to persuade the owners to use fleece inside the cage, but I'm not very hopeful. If they stayed here, I'd definitely do that because the whole wood shavings business is too messy for my liking. I'll post a picture once the final cage is set up. I'll definitely miss these boys.

Last edited:
Mine look rather pathetic compared to all of yours, i've just built it for them after the long wait for the grids to arrive :D
its now 180x70cm, an upgrade from 120x60cm and they seem to like it.
Might add another level at some point but seeing as they're lazy pigs ill probably keep it as it is :) also need to get a few more toys, thats all there was room for in their old cage ;L
Anyway pics:P

Their old cage:

and now,

haha macs a liiiiittle bit obsessed with them, but dont worry he doesnt do anything to them, hes just fascinated and watches them :P

also dont worry its fox proof as its outside, a lot of locks and cable ties were used :P
Another thing, those bricks are there to hold down the fleece. am looking to replace them with large pebbles or something, and will be using bigger sheets of fleece so i dont need to use 2 sheets and need more pebbles..