• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Member Gallery: C&C cages/homemade cages

Inspired by the Guinea Pig Forum

I got some from e-bay (£50 for 10 x 5) after I saw how great they were on here.

We make up different runs for them each time and they love it.

I always stick a towel underneath and a travel rug and as many tunnels as possible. I find it easier to clean after dismantling.

I like to show my homemade cage.
The pictures are from last year, no piggy Star and Max :0 anymore.

DSC03310.jpg

Star, Sterre and Ariel

DSC03306.jpg

Star, Sterre and Ariel

DSC04280.jpg

Star, Sterre and Max

DSC03330.jpg

DSC03333.jpg

DSC03334.jpg

Sterre Star and Ariel

DSC03652.jpg

ariel lovely lipps

Last edited:
Here's my newly built two level 4x2 C&C xx>>> Sadly I had a failed bonding so had to house another piggy without using extra space! The girls are in the ground floor flat and Finley is on the first floor flat - so to go bonding to find his perfect wifepig!

DBpQr.jpg

Pics and description of my ramp

Photos 1&2 top of ramp, fixed in place underneath with Velcro and cable ties.

Photos 3&4 show join in ramp and support which is made simply from off cut of grid and slots into connector when cleaning kitchen so piggies can’t run up.

Photos 5&6 show strips of correx to help piggies from slipping and Velcro to hold liner in place, both using strong double sided tape and other Velcro sewn onto fleece to match.

Photo 7 shows kitchen area removable for easy cleaning.

1topoframp.jpg

2underneathramp.jpg

3rampwithsupport.jpg

4rampsupport.jpg

5rampvelcroandfleeceliner.jpg

6velcroandcorrexstrips.jpg

Kitchenarearemovable.jpg

DSCF0884.jpg

And in a different colour :
DSCF0797.jpg

I have a round bay window so to make the most of the space I made a "T" shaped cage (it wasn't easy lol)

Most of the mesh grids were Screwfix ones. I also had a pack of B & Q grids, the black ones.

The correx I got from here:
http://www.theonestopplasticsshop.co.uk/correx-blue-122-m-x-122-m-4mm-p-4980.html

I made fleece cage liners to fit, I then put a mattress topper underneath, then underneath that are layers of towels then newspaper at the bottom. It stays clean really well, I wash everything in non-bio with no conditioner. I do use little extra bits of fleece in the corners & change them every other day. Generally I clean the whole lot every 4th day, but I think it would last at least 6 days. I clean the litter trays every day though.

This cage is equivalent to a 5 x 2 C & C and I keep 3 female piggies in it & they really love all the space :))

two level home

My boys do not get on, so I have to keep them apart.

Their old set up was taking up masses of space so I decided to stack them on top of each other :)

It was quite difficult to do, especially as Ive still not got around to ordering my correx. I used 25 grids:

the bottom is 3x2, with a water proof fabric base, newspaper, towels and the fleece. The top is supposed to be 3x2 also, but i found it hard to get in and out of the bottom so i have taken one 'square out' and will be swapping my boys over every week. The top level has grids for floor, waterproof fabric, newspaper, towels and fleece. I used over 100 cable ties to ensure it was really really sturdy, and now I can pick the whole thing up to clean the bottom. I also made a little door on the bottom by using a bulldog clip instead of cable ties and connectors on that one grid.

Photo on 2011-10-22 at 13.52 by andreabrightside1, on Flickr

Photo on 2011-10-22 at 13.50 #4 by andreabrightside1, on Flickr

Photo on 2011-10-22 at 13.50 by andreabrightside1, on Flickr

Photo on 2011-10-22 at 13.53 by andreabrightside1, on Flickr

The pictures look a bit dull but its actually quite bright!

Charlie, George, Jack and Bailey's new home :)

IMG_0292.jpg

Charlie, George and Bailey having breakfast :)

SAM_0019.jpg

33y6cs4.jpg

Here is Harper and Scout's current cage. After they complete their mite treatment and Radley has been properly quarantined, the three of them will be moved into a 2x5 (with a loft, if I have enough left over grids).

Cage Type: Wire cubes with fleece, towels and a tarp. The second level is made from old Taco Bell menu signs and will be used as the kitchen area in their new 2x5.
Where it was purchased or how it was made: I purchased the grids from both Bed, Bath & Beyond and Walmart (I am in the US). The fleece was from Walmart as well. The Taco Bell box is from... well, Taco Bell.
What size it is: It is currently a 3x3 with a 1x2 kitchen.
How many piggies are kept in it: There are currently two piggies in here.
How easy it is to keep clean/if you'd recommend it: Super easy to clean! I vacuum poops once or twice a day and wash fleece and change it out once a week.

:)

DSC02157.jpg

DSC02159.jpg

My C&C cage minus the Cubes around the cage- they ended up just getting in the way last time I used them :)).

Finally, new home pictures and some waffle!

This C & C cage is the biggest I can make with the space available at the moment, 4 by just over 11/2, I have plans to extend when I can persuade OH! :)) He puts up with so much when it comes to pets!
Anyhow, the cage is so much bigger than the home they had for a few weeks after they had been adopted from a big pet superstore (you all know the one) and they seem a lot happier.
The cubes came from wayfair.co.uk and the correx from a local sign shop.
I tried fleece for the flooring, but gave up with it and instead I am using extra large bath mats from Dunelm, with puppy training pads underneath, then newspaper. It is easier to clean out than a cage with woodchip and the pigs are not sneezing, yay!

IMG_0812-1.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

The hay loft...
IMG_0818.jpg

The dark snuggle corner...
IMG_0813-1.jpg

Since these pics they also have a bed in there which I made (so proud and silly)...
IMG_0823.jpg

Snapshot_20120419_5.jpg

Snapshot_20120419_4.jpg

Snapshot_20120419_3.jpg

thats my girls cage however iit has different things in it now

Snapshot_20120419_1.jpg

and this is my lone boars cage again new things in it now, the hammock is now in his cage.

its made with some coffee tables from a cheap shop and dog pens which i bent and use cable ties to fit tightly around the tables where than i added some old signs around the top cage to stop hay and pooh from flying out.

Cage Type = c&c

Where it was purchased or how it was made - grids bought at Bed Bath and Beyond, corrugated plastic bought at Home Depot (4 pieces of 24x36 taped together with plastic packing tape.)

What size it is = 2 grids x 4 grids with a 1 grid x 2 grid loft

How many piggies are kept in it = 2 girls

How easy it is to keep clean/if you'd recommend it = of course you have to clean it regularly, loft area with hay and carefresh bedding about every other day, the bottom with fleece and cotton towel under layer is swept every day and changed about every 5-6 days. My girls are very good about doing most of their business in the loft/kitchen area. I like the versatility and look of this type of cage.

The hay loft (or the 'Party Loft' as I call it, is relatively new, and I would like to use a matching black grid instead of the temporary white grid thing I have up there, but I will need to buy some more grids. I have a 'climber' pig so I have to make sure they don't have any way of climbing or 'popping' off the ramp, so it is covered and has sides. Eventually I will make a grid ramp that is more transparent, because right now I don't like the way the ramp visually blocks my view into the cage, but the piggies love it. The ramp is made of corrugated plastic right now, with a fleece liner for traction. The loft also has a plastic liner.

The decorative roof of the loft is just a shelf bracket fastened to the wall, and a bamboo table runner draped over it to make the roof shape. And of course what Guinea pig cage is complete without a disco ball...am I right?

2storycage2.jpg

577689_10151005365032573_779327572_11621324_1634475512_n.jpg

Correx only cage , 6ft x 2ft with three petite girlies living in it :-)

c&c cage - from ebay 20grids for £30.00
size is 2x4 with upstairs, separated into 2 ( they not friends anymore ) :(
2 Piggies ....

easy to keep clean i vacuum the poop up or use a dust pan n brush, & wash the fleece once a week :) as well as hammock & beds ect:

utf-8BSU1HMDIzMzEtMjAxMjA1MTItMTQyNC5qcGc.jpg

Okay, here's mine! I just finished everything today and I still need to buy something to put the hay in but until then I just have it.....Sitting on the fleece lol.
This was one of my 1st design plans and the store cage
66515_3216283785550_2056118448_n.jpg

My second desing
550807_3217027484142_822843259_n.jpg

Heres the finished cage
IMG126.jpg

And I added another grid with zip ties and connentors and a top on top of the loft!
IMG130.jpg

Back