Member Gallery: C&C cages/homemade cages

Lucettacole

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My C&C cage is in the process of being completed.once Finished it will have four levels and be able to fit up to thirteen guineas. Both of the lower two levels are 2 by 6 and the 3rd level is a 2 by 4. Once the c&c base is added the upper level will be a 2 by 3. As of now I have four male guineas and will soon add two, and eventually more females. I got the second level as part of a 2 by six elevated cage from the guineapigcagesstore. (No that's not a typo). Since then I have used the materials from this store and the two cages I've (technically) bought from it to create this huge cage.
I wouldnt recommend this cage to someone who is just entering the world of guinea pig care, but it is awesome for someone who needs more square footage without giving up floor space. It's not incredibly easy to clean but not overly hard either. I usually use a hand broom and dust pan to sweep it out daily.
IMG_20180522_175058.jpg

emellertid

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So here’s our very first piggie cage. It’s not quite done yet, and I wish I had thought about how much space the house would take up before cutting the ramp opening in the patio, but I’ll figure it out. Piggies are arriving in August!

Cage type: 2x4 C&C with kitchen area, patio + canopy and acrylic windows for child-proofing.

Where it was purchased or how it was made: Grids and coroplast from guineapigcagesstore.com, house and other bits and bobs from Amazon, Zooplus and Etsy.

What size it is: 2x4 C&C’s I think are 27" x 56", about 69 cm x 142 cm.

How many piggies are kept in it: 2 will be living in it.

How easy it is to keep clean/if you'd recommend it: Since I’m still waiting for the piggies’ arrival, and have yet to try out some different bedding alternatives, I haven’t had to clean it :D but I love it. It’s spacious, pretty, easily customizable, and can be expanded probably infinitely with just some extra grids and coro.

48511048-044E-4551-8667-CD0CE6D468C5.jpeg

emellertid

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So here’s our very first piggie cage. It’s not quite done yet, and I wish I had thought about how much space the house would take up before cutting the ramp opening in the patio, but I’ll figure it out. Piggies are arriving in August!

Cage type: 2x4 C&C with kitchen area, patio + canopy and acrylic windows for child-proofing.

Where it was purchased or how it was made: Grids and coroplast from guineapigcagesstore.com, house and other bits and bobs from Amazon, Zooplus and Etsy.

How easy it is to keep clean/if you'd recommend it: Since I’m still waiting for the piggies’ arrival, and have yet to try out some different bedding alternatives, I haven’t had to clean it :D but I love it. It’s spacious, pretty, easily customizable, and can be expanded probably infinitely with just some extra grids and coro.

View attachment 89958
(Well, not our VERY first. Bought this one because the original one, that was supposed to be 59 x 120 cm turned out to be much smaller. But this one will be the piggies’ first cage.)

JenMcK8

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I've just got a new sow (yet to be named) to join my two females Nancy & Peggy. We haven't bonded them yet because we want to make some adjustments to their cage.

At the moment we have a 2x5 c&c cage and we know this is just big enough for 3 piggies but we'd like to do some remodelling.

I know a loft space doesn't technically add to the space they have in the cage but what if it was a 1x4 or 1x5 mezzanine sort of thing? Because its longer, there's still room for zoomies so does it count as 'extra' space?

The bottom part is for our bunny and the top bit (with correx etc) houses our two piggies at the moment. We dont really have room to make it longer and a conventional loft makes it really hard for me to clean (I'm quite small and can't reach over very well).

Advice and tips would be much appreciated on how to remodel the cage without taking it all apart!

Attachments

KateC

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I've just got a new sow (yet to be named) to join my two females Nancy & Peggy. We haven't bonded them yet because we want to make some adjustments to their cage.

At the moment we have a 2x5 c&c cage and we know this is just big enough for 3 piggies but we'd like to do some remodelling.

I know a loft space doesn't technically add to the space they have in the cage but what if it was a 1x4 or 1x5 mezzanine sort of thing? Because its longer, there's still room for zoomies so does it count as 'extra' space?

The bottom part is for our bunny and the top bit (with correx etc) houses our two piggies at the moment. We dont really have room to make it longer and a conventional loft makes it really hard for me to clean (I'm quite small and can't reach over very well).

Advice and tips would be much appreciated on how to remodel the cage without taking it all apart!
I'm not sure but I see you have a chest of drawers beside..... Could you do an L-shape onto the chest of drawers?

JenMcK8

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I'm not sure but I see you have a chest of drawers beside..... Could you do an L-shape onto the chest of drawers?
The cage is in a bit of an alcove and it's that far corner I struggle with, so doing an L shape onto the chest of drawers would make it a bit more difficult to get into (but its a good idea!)

Hbecooper

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score

View attachment 89958
Where was the corner hidey platform from?

Hbecooper

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Thought I'd post a pic of my newly cleaned out C&C cage before the piggies get in and wreck all my hard work!
So its a 5x2 grid (185cm x 70cm) C&C but I attached the loft to the side so its 5x3 grids at the wider end (185cm x 105 m).
The bedroom end has vet fleece with a washable absorbant puppy mat underneath. The food and toilet end has kaytee clean and cosy substrate on the floor with newspaper underneath. The extension to the side is a big walk in hay tray, and there are 2 corner toilet/hay trays too. The furniture changes a bit every week but today we have a large size carrot cottage, a wooden Hop Inn house, a ziggys piggies fleece pigloo, and a woven grass hidey tube.
Home to 4 lady piggies :)

Attachments

Kindness

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
1.5 x 4 C&C cage made with 4mm white correx. The end grids are overlapped and tied with with cable ties to make the cage narrower but still providing good space. It's 60 cm x 147 cm for two sows
I ♡ Fleece20180808_205351.jpg