• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Member Gallery: C&C cages/homemade cages

Thought I would finally add pictures of my c and c for my separated boar pair. 🥰

Both boys have a mixture of bath mats and fleece liners for bedding. I change out the tunnels and hideys for fleece tunnels when I change their fleece to wash. I do a full cage clean every four days but swap out the bath mats every couple of days if needed so it’s pretty easy to keep clean and I sweep them out twice a day. 🐷🐷

C4EA00D5-0640-4992-8656-2C9812E70008.jpeg

Here is my homemade cage. The equivalent of 8x2.5 C&C grid size.

It looks a bit bare because currently there’s just one piggy living in it following a death. And current piggy never goes up the ramp, so I haven’t put anything up there! But he likes to lay under the ramp!
I make my own fleece liners because it would be far to expensive to get them made as they are so big. I have made some of my own cosy items too. But most I buy.
I do love my cage. A lot of love went into it. It was half the size originally and my grandad (sadly now passed away) helped us. Them me and my husband worked hard to extend it at a later date.EAC962A9-D47E-4267-9BFA-3C3BBEDA2C7B.jpeg2607A661-F950-49A5-9A78-7A5FCECD0E7F.jpeg8A36CBA0-7FC2-4754-A971-A419EC4589B5.jpegFD49107B-7040-4780-888F-E14F137A5093.jpegAD7F0F99-D689-4DE2-B4E4-65716D8C7607.jpeg

So here is my new cage design, I'm really pleased as I purchased the grids from Amazon for £35 and managed to create 2 spacious cages in order to separate the male from the females.(whom Previously had managed to jump over old cage and then into the females cage. I have also attached spare panels going all the way across the top to stop him jumping in untill he's nuteured (I have attached a copy of the cage I purchased)

.received_1210316922669808~2.jpeg As you can see the flowery pretty polar fleeces I purchased for £2.99 each from my local garden centre the cherry tree barn. Polar fleeces are really good for bedding and I have just put puppy pads underneath) I used three fleeces to cover the whole cage and just overlapped the extra material. I also put a different fleece over the top to create a sort of tent/hidey which they all love.
While I'm on the topic of the barn, I've recently discovered their favourite hay which they go absolutely mad for (more than anything else I've known! All of them zooming round the whole cage squeaking) I think it's called I unchopped meadow hay and it looks slightly looser than the other makes and it's £1.50! And it's a decent size bag!
MVIMG_20201014_163650.jpgAs you can see they have numerous hideys. If I had to recommend one I would recommend the long waterproof tunnels (rosewood activity tunnel for guinea pigs, not the rabbit one and it is 90cm long and was about £7) mine tend to run through these constantly and if you take the long tunnel out they don't tend to exercise much. They also have a hole in the middle as well which is handy for multiple guinea pigs. They don't tend to eat it, I just tried to cut it in half (which I would not recommend doing!) I'd recommend cleaning it every 3 days though something I tend to put off! You can also attach multiple tunnels together and the blue tent in the photo also attaches to these.

They love all their fleece items too but if I had to recommend a second item I would choose the hard straw/hay tunnel. It has multiple exits and the guinea pigs are ALWAYS nawing their teeth on it which I think really helps them. This was £4.99 from wilkos.

I'd say the other favourite is the upside down basket which was purchased from pets at home and also came with a cushion they love to sit on top of this while one of them sits underneath it's so funny to watch!
The guinea pig castle is great too as it has multiple exits and all 4 sows can fit in there comfortably (atm) this was I think £22 off etsy and eBay.

IMG_20201014_193728_542.jpg As you can see the main part of the cage is for four sows and the smaller section is for a single boar. Altogether the cage is 5 x 6 grids (210cm x 175cm) but of course 4 x5 currently for the sows and 2x5 for the single boar. received_1018676068578314.jpegMVIMG_20201017_195513~2.jpg As you can see I had some spare grids left over so I made my own hay rack, (the triangular grid is much better practically!) The pigs love this and it helps keep the cage tidy!
Screenshot_20201017-205243.pngwould definitely recommend this cage!

362D06E7-072E-4AF5-AF3E-137A4F271C4E.jpeg 2AB841F9-FDD9-4DCF-AA5F-050BA0F1620F.jpeg
I have a C&C cage bought from C&C Cages.
I’ve created an L shape which is 5x2 on the long side with a 3x2 extension.
I use wood shavings as a base.
It’s easy to clean with the added advantage of being a pretty good workout to do a deep clean.
It was built for 4 piggies but now houses 3 - one of whom is a very lively boar.

I love 💖 this thread and I've picked up some great ideas like square guttering with cut up carpet squares velcroed on for grip (easy to change when needed) and I'm looking into washable puppy pads and/or fleece liners (whichever works cheaper for a large-ish enclosure of differing size sectioned in half!) and adding cafe areas in litter/storage boxes for easier clean up.
I'll add my enclosures once I've got it mostly how I want it.

A quick question....I have an IKEA ottoman double bed, if my 2 young boars, Caroline and Bonnie (my daughter has a thing for The Vampire Diaries and had already used all the good boys names with the rats and hamster so went with the girls names 🙄🤣) decide not to get along (lots of rumblestrutting and chasing each other over the last week but that could be because they are now live in the enclosure attached with my older neutered boar, adult but age unknown, Nicklaus and his new, 2 year old, wife Hayley) would it be possible to cut holes in the bottom and put mesh over the holes with corraplast to protect the floor for them? (I would leave the bed in the up position thro the day for daylight and have the led lights for the early nights in winter) just thinking about how I can use my space as my GS puupy is in the living room, kitten in my daughter's room, my sons room is just too small and my bunny is in a playpen in my bedroom so...

@Sezzy16 ive seen before that members are asked to not ask questions on this but to start a thread of their own. Just a quick one though - your boys will be showing a lot of dominance if they’re in a cage attached to your girl. Ideally they shouldn’t be kept in the same room. Start a new thread - there are lots of brilliant members on here that can offer you more thorough advice on a new one :tu:

This is our 2x4 C&C cage with a cage stand and porch patio. We first had a 2x3 C&C cage but decided it was too small for our piggies since they get up in each other’s faces sometimes, so we used the playpen (which are just the grids from the cage) to expand the cage to a 2x4. We decided to not spend 70 dollars on bins for under the cage, so we just used the ones we had at home.

These were purchased from Guinea Pig Cage Store, with a transparent chloroplast base and black grids.

We have our two male piggies, Pumpkin and Peanut living comfortably in this cage! We constantly change the layout of the cage, we usually alternate each week with leaving the loft in and taking it out to give them more space sometimes.

Definitely recommend this cage! It’s super easy to clean (although that has to do with the liners), and easy to put together and expand. The liner for the loft is from Guinea Pig Market (Guinea Pig Cage Stores sister store) because of the specific layout. I have to say these don’t absorb as well as the GuineaDad liners we have for the base of the cage. We spot clean daily with a hand vac which works great for the poop! Every week we spray the base with vinegar water mixture for smell and hygiene.

Sadly, it won’t let me upload a photo at this time but I’ll try again soon!

This is our 2x4 C&C cage with a cage stand and porch patio. We first had a 2x3 C&C cage but decided it was too small for our piggies since they get up in each other’s faces sometimes, so we used the playpen (which are just the grids from the cage) to expand the cage to a 2x4. We decided to not spend 70 dollars on bins for under the cage, so we just used the ones we had at home.

These were purchased from Guinea Pig Cage Store, with a transparent chloroplast base and black grids.

We have our two male piggies, Pumpkin and Peanut living comfortably in this cage! We constantly change the layout of the cage, we usually alternate each week with leaving the loft in and taking it out to give them more space sometimes.

Definitely recommend this cage! It’s super easy to clean (although that has to do with the liners), and easy to put together and expand. The liner for the loft is from Guinea Pig Market (Guinea Pig Cage Stores sister store) because of the specific layout. I have to say these don’t absorb as well as the GuineaDad liners we have for the base of the cage. We spot clean daily with a hand vac which works great for the poop! Every week we spray the base with vinegar water mixture for smell and hygiene.

Sadly, it won’t let me upload a photo at this time but I’ll try again soon!
Well done on giving them more space. But unfortunately that is still below what’s recommended for boars. Can you expand to 2x5? Look forward to photos. Use the ‘Attach files’ button below the text box b

We are trying to see if we can expand to a 2x5 at the moment actually, it’s just the space we put it in is the only space we can have it in and it doesn’t fit. We would have to rearrange my whole room for it, but we’re still looking at options.

Photos attached below (with pumpkin photo bombing almost all of them lol)

Attachments

• 774347A2-1C32-4F44-A3A6-EE59F1B6E31A.jpeg
    774347A2-1C32-4F44-A3A6-EE59F1B6E31A.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 66
  • A042BEA3-A565-4962-85E9-D6268C6497DA.jpeg
    A042BEA3-A565-4962-85E9-D6268C6497DA.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 62
  • B7F8B638-4D21-4F25-A6CB-FC0D2836F3BD.jpeg
    B7F8B638-4D21-4F25-A6CB-FC0D2836F3BD.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 58
  • BB448E83-47FA-46C2-A512-780B9F873AD5.jpeg
    BB448E83-47FA-46C2-A512-780B9F873AD5.jpeg