• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Members' Recommended Vets

Hi,
Can anyone recommend a rodent vet in Hampshire? A friend of a friend has a poorly guinea pig and her vets not found a diagnosis. I don't know many details but want to send any helpful information to this friends friend.

Whoops, I sent a private message to the site owners before I realised I could post a suggestion in here too! My current vet is good with guinea pigs (and a lot of other small or exotic animals - they even have an axolotl on their books apparently!) Based on the Wirral, in Merseyside - so good for anyone in/around Liverpool, Wirral, and parts of Cheshire (I note there's a few vets already in Cheshire listed).

It's Hoylake Veterinary Surgery, 43 Birkenhead Road, Meols, CH47 5AF, phone number is 0151 632 5676. The vets I see there who are pig-savvy are Rob and Maria. There's a website if you google Hoylake vets and need any more info, and they've got an out of hours service too. I found them after my last vet wasn't experienced enough with one of my old pigs, resulting in him passing away - these ones have so far dealt with an unexpected pregnancy, the check up of the babies, a nail clipping injury, and two separate abscesses over the last couple of years for me. They're always very friendly and helpful, have the time to answer any questions, and most importantly seem to have the knowledge and experience I was looking for in a new vet!

Whoops, I sent a private message to the site owners before I realised I could post a suggestion in here too! My current vet is good with guinea pigs (and a lot of other small or exotic animals - they even have an axolotl on their books apparently!) Based on the Wirral, in Merseyside - so good for anyone in/around Liverpool, Wirral, and parts of Cheshire (I note there's a few vets already in Cheshire listed).

It's Hoylake Veterinary Surgery, 43 Birkenhead Road, Meols, CH47 5AF, phone number is 0151 632 5676. The vets I see there who are pig-savvy are Rob and Maria. There's a website if you google Hoylake vets and need any more info, and they've got an out of hours service too. I found them after my last vet wasn't experienced enough with one of my old pigs, resulting in him passing away - these ones have so far dealt with an unexpected pregnancy, the check up of the babies, a nail clipping injury, and two separate abscesses over the last couple of years for me. They're always very friendly and helpful, have the time to answer any questions, and most importantly seem to have the knowledge and experience I was looking for in a new vet!

Done and thank you!

@sport_billy can we update the vet locator for Birch Heath?

Birch Heath Veterinary Clinic
Birch Heath Road
Tarporley
Cheshire
CW6 9UU

Telephone: 01829 733777
Fax. 01829 733923
Website: Passionate about animal care | Birch Heath Veterinary Clinic
Email: [email protected]

Vets: Suzetta Cameron or Leanne Roberts

Thanks!

Done thanks!

Done and thank you!

Done thanks!
My piggy was misdiagnosed 3 times by above vet I'm afraid.(Hoylake) I had to insist on a scan to prove she had cystic ovaries, at this point I transferred elsewhere . I was a new piggy owner at the time and diagnosed her myself reading the Internet. She had 1) weight loss and sent home to take vitamin c. 2) hair loss so treated with insecticide 3) enlarged crusty nipples.. .sent home to moisturise . At this point I insisted on scan for ovaries, when it was positive I was told to go home and they would ring me in 2 days. No phone call but transferred due to lack of confidence. The new vet could feel her ovaries as soon as he put hands on her. Sorry but you can't take chances with piggies . She had op elsewhere and luckily is still with us today 2 years later

Can anybody recommend a good vet near Tamworth. I'm currently at Mercia vets and I've always been happy but I've never had a surgery done there and I just wondered if anybody had any recommendations as I'm so worried about it.

Does anyone know any good vets in the Coventry/West Midlands area?

@sport_billy

I can highly recommend Sian Williams at Greenbank Veterinary Clinic in Gatley (Stockport way). She's very down-to-earth and personable, and has owned guinea pigs herself, so she cares for yours as she would if they were hers. :)

Greenbank Veterinary Clinic
Brook House 2
4 Northenden Road
Gatley
Cheadle
SK8 4DN
greenbank

@sport_billy

I can highly recommend Sian Williams at Greenbank Veterinary Clinic in Gatley (Stockport way). She's very down-to-earth and personable, and has owned guinea pigs herself, so she cares for yours as she would if they were hers. :)

Greenbank Veterinary Clinic
Brook House 2
4 Northenden Road
Gatley
Cheadle
SK8 4DN
greenbank
thanks will get this added x

Abington Park Veterinary Surgery

427 Wellingborough Rd, Northampton NN1 4EZ
01604 628685

( The parking and entrance is actually on WANTAGE ROAD)

This clinic isnt anywhere near as good as the cat and rabbit care clinic for friendlyness or experience BUT they are open 24/7 . They have saved my past elderly guinea pig from near gastric torsion. And pneumonia aswell as 2 uri's . The catch is that their guinea pig experienced vet is not on shift all of the time, but she does leave instructions for the other vets. If you live in or near northampton, and have no other option then this is definitly a good move

If anyone needs a Vet for piggies in Sussex/ East Sussex go straight to Coastways Vets in Kemptown.
We have a poorly piggy and he has been to four other vets. One in Farnham did not know they have back teeth.
Coastways have everything required and the Exotics surgery is Tuesday although I am sure there are other days as well.

If anyone needs a Vet for piggies in Sussex/ East Sussex go straight to Coastways Vets in Kemptown.
We have a poorly piggy and he has been to four other vets. One in Farnham did not know they have back teeth.
Coastways have everything required and the Exotics surgery is Tuesday although I am sure there are other days as well.
Lol how do they think they chew? My 8 year old niece knows more

Last edited by a moderator:

That’s horrendous for a vet not to know that :(

@sport_billy please can you add my brilliant vets to your recommended vet list?

Vets4Pets Penny Lane
Penny Lane shopping centre
Church Road
Liverpool
L15 9EB

Clare and Alessandro are brilliant, they can always squeeze in a piggy emergency appointment and are open weekends, and I've had excellent experiences there with general health checks, nail trims, Theo's neutering, Puggle's acute life threatening bloat, Clover's wonky leg, and as of this morning Puggle's recurring tummy aches and Jezebel's hay mites. And they do back teeth checks and xrays with no anaesthetic :)

Back