• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Mite Treatment

dannif_piggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The other day I noticed what I thought was mites on my guinea pig Honey, I have two guinea pigs so yesterday I took them both to the vet as they said they needed to weigh them both in order to administer treatment.

Long story short I go to Companion Care vets joined with Pets At Home and they advised that the shop bought stuff would be cheaper than prescribing it. So when going to the shop floor to pick up what we had been told to get, we bought the beaphor anti-parasite spot on treatment, and administered it to the two of them when we got home. This morning I have noticed, Honey's skin seems rather red where the treatment was put (in comparison to normal)

Here is where the treatment was placed:
IMG_9682.JPG
And here is another part of her skin:
IMG_9683.JPG

I have touched it and it doesn't seem particularly hot and there doesn't appear to be blisters or anything else, just the redness.

My other piggie seems fine! And when Ive used this treatment when Honey was younger I noticed nothing then.

I'm just wondering has anyone else had this experience before and what do people think I should do?

Many thanks 😊

The other day I noticed what I thought was mites on my guinea pig Honey, I have two guinea pigs so yesterday I took them both to the vet as they said they needed to weigh them both in order to administer treatment.

Long story short I go to Companion Care vets joined with Pets At Home and they advised that the shop bought stuff would be cheaper than prescribing it. So when going to the shop floor to pick up what we had been told to get, we bought the beaphor anti-parasite spot on treatment, and administered it to the two of them when we got home. This morning I have noticed, Honey's skin seems rather red where the treatment was put (in comparison to normal)

Here is where the treatment was placed:
View attachment 91047
And here is another part of her skin:
View attachment 91048

I have touched it and it doesn't seem particularly hot and there doesn't appear to be blisters or anything else, just the redness.

My other piggie seems fine! And when Ive used this treatment when Honey was younger I noticed nothing then.

I'm just wondering has anyone else had this experience before and what do people think I should do?

Many thanks 😊

Hi!

Please just leave be and do not touch until the spot-on has been fully absorbed into the skin, which can take 48 hours and can cause a skin reaction in some piggies. What goes on your fingers is not ending up in the skin of your piggies and is weakening the treatment.

We generally do not recommend beaphar on this forum.

You can find our recommended vets locator on the top bar.

Hi!

Please just leave be and do not touch until the spot-on has been fully absorbed into the skin, which can take 48 hours and can cause a skin reaction in some piggies. What goes on your fingers is not ending up in the skin of your piggies and is weakening the treatment.

We generally do not recommend beaphar on this forum.

You can find our recommended vets locator on the top bar.
Okay I'll leave it be for now, thank you for your response. It wasn't that they recommended beaphar, they said to get a treatment with invermectin in it and that was the only one sold that did. If I bought the treatment that the vets used I was looking at around £90 for the two of them (that's what I was quoted), and the vet said the beaphor one would be sufficient. But thank you I will see how it goes ☺️

Okay I'll leave it be for now, thank you for your response. It wasn't that they recommended beaphar, they said to get a treatment with invermectin in it and that was the only one sold that did. If I bought the treatment that the vets used I was looking at around £90 for the two of them (that's what I was quoted), and the vet said the beaphor one would be sufficient. But thank you I will see how it goes ☺️

There are a number of online vet supply places that you can order ivermectin products like xeno from from much more cheaply than buying at a vets; you will find them when you google for ivermectin or xeno. When using amazon etc. you may have to be beware of counterfeit medication.

You will still need a prescription for POMs (prescrition-only medication) but it is a cheaper way of getting them. Ivermectin doesn't fall in that category; it is prescription-free. Clinics have comparatively high cost in stocking and storing smaller quantities of medication, hence why they usually fetch an extra fee although some clinics ask more than others, depending on whether they are profit or non-profit.

Pet shops are not licensed to sell medication; their products are low dosed as 'prevention' (which can actually lead to resistance rather than prevention). It is something that most people are not aware of and far too many small animals pay the price for in terms of a lot of unnecessary suffering by home-treating on spec.
You have done the right thing by seeing a vet. They could have made their advice a bit clearer, though!

There are a number of online vet supply places that you can order ivermectin products like xeno from from much more cheaply than buying at a vets; you will find them when you google for ivermectin or xeno. When using amazon etc. you may have to be beware of counterfeit medication.

You will still need a prescription for POMs (prescrition-only medication) but it is a cheaper way of getting them. Ivermectin doesn't fall in that category; it is prescription-free. Clinics have comparatively high cost in stocking and storing smaller quantities of medication, hence why they usually fetch an extra fee although some clinics ask more than others, depending on whether they are profit or non-profit.

Pet shops are not licensed to sell medication; their products are low dosed as 'prevention' (which can actually lead to resistance rather than prevention). It is something that most people are not aware of and far too many small animals pay the price for in terms of a lot of unnecessary suffering by home-treating on spec.
You have done the right thing by seeing a vet. They could have made their advice a bit clearer, though!
I will bare this in mind in the future! Thank you.

Back