• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Mites ?

abcdefarah

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,

my guinea pig Albie has been scratching incessantly the past few days. Today he has seemed very different: not wanting to be touched, teeth chattering, sleeping a lot etc. I have known something is not right but during floor time I noticed a big bald patch behind his ear, which was red and blotchy and looked very dry and inflamed. (I have attached a photo but it’s blurry and you can’t see very well as he refuses to be touched or for us to go near him). I also noticed a few red spots on/near his legs.

I am going to ring the vets first thing tomorrow to get both our boys checked out but I’m feeling quite worried - is this quite normal? Are they mites? Will he be in pain? What are people’s experiences with mites please? Also any ideas on vet bills? 😬

Thank you so much,

Farah x

Attachments

• B5084389-7607-4853-92ED-8EF6BE267133.jpeg
    B5084389-7607-4853-92ED-8EF6BE267133.jpeg
    58 KB · Views: 19
While it is normal for piggies to have a small matching bald patches behind each ear, what it looks like in the photo is not the normal bald patch - it definitely looks like he has a skin condition.
We can’t say what it is, only a vet can do that, but you’ve done right to get them into the vet as soon as you have.
Can’t really comment on vet fees as we don’t know your location - I do know that US vets tend to be more expensive than UK vets - and we don’t know exactly what is wrong with your piggy.
Let us know how you get on at the appointment

While it is normal for piggies to have a small matching bald patches behind each ear, what it looks like in the photo is not the normal bald patch - it definitely looks like he has a skin condition.
We can’t say what it is, only a vet can do that, but you’ve done right to get them into the vet as soon as you have.
Can’t really comment on vet fees as we don’t know your location - I do know that US vets tend to be more expensive than UK vets - and we don’t know exactly what is wrong with your piggy.

Hi, thank you for your reply. I have got an appointment at 11:15 tomorrow so I will let you know how it goes. It has spread all down his tummy poor boy 😔

hi, both boys have mites! Albie’s are more severe than Zebs but the vet has prescribed xeno 450 for both. Just hoping it gives them some form of relief as soon as possible because poor Albie’s back is completely red raw :( thanks again for your help x

Glad you've got some treatment for both your boys, hope it works quickly.
Did the vet say if they are mange mites or hay mites?

Glad you've got some treatment for both your boys, hope it works quickly.
Did the vet say if they are mange mites or hay mites?

She didn’t say, I’m hoping they get some relief from it quickly though. Especially poor Albie has his entire back is red raw :(

Attachments

• 126EDC8B-69F8-4528-A4B0-DD414B839DC5.jpeg
    126EDC8B-69F8-4528-A4B0-DD414B839DC5.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 10
She didn’t say, I’m hoping they get some relief from it quickly though. Especially poor Albie has his entire back is red raw :(
Poor sausage, he must be so uncomfortable 🙁. If I remember correctly Xeno450 is drops you apply to the neck at regular intervals. I hope they do the trick and give him some relief x

Yes Xeno450 is applied to the neck and/or back, 3 doses, 2 weeks apart. Please be aware though that the relief wont be instant, especially if this is mange mites that live inside the skin- the symptoms can initially seem to be getting worse as the dying mites cause more irritation than the live ones! So dont be discouraged if it takes a while to see results, if needed you could ask the vet for some metacam/loxicom anti-inflamnatory pain relief medicine to ease the symptoms while the mite treatment takes effect x

Poor soul. Hope that things will soon start to improve for him.

Back