• Halloween themed fun Photo Competition Out-takes Click here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My brother dropped his guinea

Durcheinander

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My twin took his guinea pig out to show his girlfriend, but when he went to return him to his cage, he jumped out of my brother's hands and fell on his shoe. My brother said his legs were twitching a bit when he fell, but when he gave me the piggy, he seemed fine, just shaken. His legs seemed to move fine and he ran around his cage for a few minutes. The guinea pig is really young yet, we just got him the other day and that was the same day he was surrendered to the store. Is the piggy going to be alright? What should I watch for? He's leaving me $200 to take him to the vet if he doesn't seem right, but I don't want to have to take him in if he's fine.

Also while I'm making a post, I had his little guinea pig in with mine who's a bit older. The problem is that my brother's guinea pig is a boy and mine is a girl. They were together for only a day before my new cage came in. Do you think that he couldve gotten her pregnant that fast? And what should I do in case she is?

Livia Rabideau

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yes she could be pregnant I believe. I would make sure the little guy is eating, drinking, and pooping and peeing. Make sure he isn't limping.

D

DM030819

@Durcheinander It literally takes seconds for them to be impregnated so it is likely she is pregnant. If you want them to live together please get the boar neutered.

Regarding his fall please watch him eating very closely for the next week or so. Dental damage is common so if there is any sign that he cannot eat he will need to go to the vet.

Also, weigh him regularly as weight loss is a sign that something isn't right

Tangle

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If she was in season, or close enough to it, then she has a high chance of being pregnant now - but like humans, sows can’t get pregnant every day of their cycle. Either way though, only time will give you the answer. I’d read up on the guides and get prepared. Make a note of the date they were together and start a 10 week wait...

Nick G

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm confused. Considering a female only comes in to season every 18 days ish and only for 8 hours during that day, I'm surprised everyone has posted that she will be pregnant. My response to your question would be that she could possibly be pregnant.

That is a distinct possibility when a male and female have time together although lots of things have to be in place for it to happen. In season, receptive, time together, etc.

Hopefully yours isn't and I would say the odds favour that if what you describe is right. How is your males legs now?

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm confused. Considering a female only comes in to season every 18 days ish and only for 8 hours during that day, I'm surprised everyone has posted that she will be pregnant. My response to your question would be that she could possibly be pregnant.

That is a distinct possibility when a male and female have time together although lots of things have to be in place for it to happen. In season, receptive, time together, etc.

Hopefully yours isn't and I would say the odds favour that if what you describe is right. How is your males legs now?
Nobody has said she will. I see a lot of coulds and likelys but no definitely.

I believe like humans, sperm stay live for a period of time too so it's not just limited to the time they were together. Here on the forum we always recommend treating any possible pregnancy as a full pregnancy until confirmed otherwise

SkyPipDotBernie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My twin took his guinea pig out to show his girlfriend, but when he went to return him to his cage, he jumped out of my brother's hands and fell on his shoe. My brother said his legs were twitching a bit when he fell, but when he gave me the piggy, he seemed fine, just shaken. His legs seemed to move fine and he ran around his cage for a few minutes. The guinea pig is really young yet, we just got him the other day and that was the same day he was surrendered to the store. Is the piggy going to be alright? What should I watch for? He's leaving me $200 to take him to the vet if he doesn't seem right, but I don't want to have to take him in if he's fine.

Also while I'm making a post, I had his little guinea pig in with mine who's a bit older. The problem is that my brother's guinea pig is a boy and mine is a girl. They were together for only a day before my new cage came in. Do you think that he couldve gotten her pregnant that fast? And what should I do in case she is?
my gerbil jumped out of my hands onto laminate flooring at about 4ft high. She started twitching and fitting. It was horrible.then just started running about like normal and was fine.

Durcheinander

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score

He's real shy yet, so I don't see him much, but I caught a glimpse of him out late last night and he ran back to his hide real quick