• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

My experience of travelling in the car with the pigs

ElizaCavies

Junior Guinea Pig
Hi everyone,

So I recently went to Cumbria for a week where my family have a house. Because we were going away for a week and were taking the car, it seemed like a sound idea to take my now 6 week old guinea pigs with us. By now we had had them for just a week and I was a bit nervous but was sure it would be okay... so we bought a nice big travel hutch to assemble when we got there and a smaller one for the car. We put a bottle, lots of their favourite foods and lots and of hay in. They were quite small and one of them hadn’t yet learned how to use the bottle, so I brought a syringe (normally used for humans to administer medicine, I think it was a calpol one) and a dish in case he didn’t like the syringe (which, surprise surprise he didn’t :lol!: .) so we packed up the cage and put it in the boot of our car and a few minutes before going we put the guinea pigs into the little travel cage so they could acclimatise to it. It is quite a long journey, so we stopped for regular pigstops every hour of thereabouts. When they got there, it was about midnight so, very tired we set up the cage and filled it with sawdust, gave them water and food etc. I think that doing this, even though it was a change in setting and I know that guinea pigs don’t like this, I think we made it not too stressful and we will definitely be doing this again.

Thanks for reading and goodbye!

Eliza xx

Flutterby

PHOTO COMPETITION WINNER
Forum Donator 2017/18
Glad all went smoothly for you! Travelling pigs long distances can be stressful for everyone involved.

Guineautopia

Teenage Guinea Pig
That’s great news. I previously had three piggies that’s used to travel with me every other weekend for an hour drive. I think it helped they got used to this since they were babies and it never bothered them at all :)

Hoppity.K

Adult Guinea Pig
Sounds like you were really organised & I'm glad it went well. Have a lovely time. One of our piggies(Cocoa) travels really well & never seems to be bothered, when she’s in the travel carrier she munches quite happily on hay x