• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

My Expiriances With Guinea Pig Behaviour And Bonding

How long did it take to bond with Carly

• 2 years but she still can be a little skittish sometimes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 years

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCavyQueen

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Each guinea pig is different. One of my rescue piggie, now sadly passed away, was the most cuddly friendly piggie ever! She probably didn't know how to be shy. Then with my other rescue Carly, she didn't want anything to do with me. Here is how I bonded with Carly and got her to be tame.

1: I sat in her cage for a while reading to her or watched a movie on my tablet.

2: Fed her veggies and treats from my hand.

3: Groomed her on my lap.

4: Never jumped at her when I tried to pick her up.

Those were some simple things I did. Now, still today after 2 years still isn't fully bonded with me but enjoys me being around her. Carly is the white and gray piggie and Lucy the Amazingly friendly piggie that.... passed away from a stomach tumour, is the Black and white one. Losing her was very sad. I only had her for 2 months and she became my best friend. She ended up passing in my hands :'(

(TheCavyQueen)

2016 June Animals (141).JPG

2016 June Animals (76).JPG

2016 June 2  (80).jpg

2016 June Animals (55).JPG

2016 April Carly  (8).JPG

Hi and welcome!

You have some lovely piggies!

Have you ever considered using social interactive guinea pig behaviour to make friends with your piggies?
I find that a spot of piggy whispering really helps me relax very skittish arrivals, as a lot of my piggies are rescue adoptees that need a more experienced home. The more I learn and understand about guinea pig interaction, the more fascinating it is.
You may find this guide here helpful as a start to bond more closely in a language that your piggies instinctively understand. How To Understand Guinea Pig Instincts And Speak Piggy Body Language

Please also be aware that by far not all guinea pigs are natural born cuddlers. You will also never have the same close bond with all guinea pigs. Each bond is different and unique. See Carly for what she is and enjoy her on her terms. then she will enjoy you more, too. ;)

Thank you for the worm welcome. I understand what you are saying. That is a smart way to gain a guinea pigs trust. That's what comments are for, to help learn. Thank you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back