• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My guinea pig died, and my other one is lonely.

My piggy Popbell

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I had two guinea pigs, two five year old sows and one sadly passed away only two days ago. My family and I are quite unsure of what to do since we only have one now, she is extremely lonely. We need help, or some tips...
~My piggy Popbell.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I had two guinea pigs, two five year old sows and one sadly passed away only two days ago. My family and I are quite unsure of what to do since we only have one now, she is extremely lonely. We need help, or some tips...
~My piggy Popbell.
Hi and welcome

I am very sorry for your loss. You are welcome to post a tribute in our Rainbow Bridge section if it feels right for you.

Guinea pigs are never too old for company! Calli arrived here aged 7 when she became gradually depressed in the wake of losing the last of her life-long friends and thanks to the stimulation and company lived to see her 9th birthday, which her loving owner and I are both sure she would have otherwise not done.
Here is Calli, then aged 8, on the left with her new best friend, my own bereaved single Tegan, then 6 years.
Tegan is still going (now aged 7 1/2) and is living with two other same age childhood companions in an old ladies group.
IMG_6424_edited-3.jpg

There are now more and more good rescues that are aware of the problem and are willing to arrange an adoption or temporary fostering where the companion returns to the rescue after the death of your piggy. But even company through the bars with another single piggy is an option if dating is not an option and bonding doesn't work out.

Please show this guide here to your parents; it also contains links to recommended vetted good standard rescues in several countries: Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I’m so very sorry for your loss x
Hoping you can find a companion for your lonely piggie soon x

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and I am so sorry for your loss.
It’s great that you are thinking of your bereaved piggy while you are still grieving.
I hope you find a suitable companion soon.
Meanwhile - be gentle with yourself as you grieve